All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coën's randomly updated topic of random things
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice little addition. It's becoming interesting the ways people are finding to use other items to fit with this game / hobby.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cheers guys!

After some even more unrelated distractions...

(I.e. repainting a bunch of TIE [somethings] for FFG's X-Wing game - 9 currently done, 3 more to follow)

... I've finally returned to Harad. Got quite a range of updates, and seeing how I won't be doing much in the next weeks, I'll post them some days apart: starting now!

Finished painting 5 more Raiders (with bow and warspear), indeed the last Raiders required for the 500pts force. All are conversions of sorts: 3 infantry Haradrim cut at the waist and put on rider's legs, 1 using the arm of a Serpent rider and another cut at the waist to have him aim forwards. All of course with changed spears too (as always) and painted with a variety of skintones to reflect the wide-ranging origins of those in Suladân's mighty host.

Only 3 Serpent riders remain to be painted, as well as all the heroes. Well, for the 500pts list that is; others are already queuing for the upgrade to 700pts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lovely Haradrim job (good earthy feel to them) and nice to see some TIE action as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just finished another TIE (Defender this time), but as for some Middle-earth related activities: two Haradrim chieftains, on foot and (more importantly!) on horseback.

The first was started.. quite a while ago, but now the dismounted version has scale armour and a helmet as well, while both have found some cloaks (with a coat of paint to check the smoothness of the sculpting). Foot version still needs a dagger for his left hand. Note that the arms are magnetised; in fact, that is one and the same right arm in both pictures (alternatively, he can be armed with a Kataphrakt-borrowed sword).

The second one is based on the regular metal figure: the dismounted model is just that, albeit that his hand is removable, and can also be swapped for a sword (when a chieftain with just a bow is required). The mounted version has a new set of armour to match that of the foot version, and can also be armed with either a spear or sword (the latter being the same hand, while the former, due to the pose, is a different hand with spear.. and magnet).

Next up: another sculpting-related Harad update, as well as something completely different...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is the third warrior down halfway through eating a banana?

Nice conversions. I especially like the captain with the sword and bow as the pose is strong and looks very natural.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Natarn wrote:
Is the third warrior down halfway through eating a banana?
Don't be ridiculous, since when are there bananas in Middle-earth?
It quite clearly is a deep-fried mars bar.
Quote:
Nice conversions. I especially like the captain with the sword and bow as the pose is strong and looks very natural.
Was quite glad with that one, as I have plenty of spears and a gazillion Haradrim bits and pieces, but only a very limited amount of nice swords to go with them - so each one counts!

Last update before I have to do new things, which will hopefully happen over the next few days. First: mini-mûmak! To be used on an objective marker. Took some time to complete, partially because he's entirely made from excess putty.

When even the small oliphaunt was finished, I had to put my spare putty elsewhere, and thus finally started something I've been thinking of for a while: a new look for the classic High Elves (which doesn't include a lack of arms by the way, he'll get those back. Eventually).
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Alms for the poor (elf)!
I do like that helmet. Very ancient Greek looking. The neat layer of chain mail is so tidy. Nicely done. Your mini mumak has to be the cutest bit of lotr sculpting I've ever seen. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Such a cute baby mumak!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice to see the Mini Mumak finished!
The elf conversion also looks very promising! The classical helm suits him very well. I very much like the chain mail I'm seeing. Not just because of my love for chain mail, but also because it looks ace!
I wonder, though, what is going to be over the chain mail? Leather? Cloth?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys!

Didn't work on everybody's favourite mini-miniature Mûmak (tm), but some extra putty was put on other Harad-related figures. Filling gaps on the last required Serpent riders isn't really worth posting, but a cloak on a King sure is. Also with scale armour and upper leg protection in the style of Serpent riders (albeit with rounded edges to match his torso protection).

Then there is something painted: an orc, but not the usual kind; this one is from the Reaper 'Bones' series. Weird material with slightly rounded and superficial detailing, but it works very well on the flesh and clothing. When painted, even the chainmail looks surprisingly nice. Very much like the style of the figure, thanks to Fëanor for providing it!

Finally, something converted and painted: the Elf! Had to rush the sculpting saturday to be able to paint it the next day, and even then I didn't have time to base it yet. Continued with the Hellenic theme by arming him with not just a round shield and spear, but actual Hoplite style equipment: mostly because I simply had those in my bits box, but I also figured they'd suit him nicely. More chainmail on the neck (after I turned the head slightly) and upper arms, after which I restored the cloak as it continued into the sash.
Painting also emhasised the Hellenic feel, by using a lot of bronze. Looks smashing, and properly looks like heavy armour too. The shield is more practice in painting stars in the Gil-galad heraldic style than much of a design; I'll produce a more comprehensive layout if I make more. And yes, I well might: plastic Elves are cheap enough in ebay, I'd only need two dozen for an army.. and a line of these would look pretty nice I'd reckon. I could modify some metal spearmen to have plumed helmets, round shields and decorated bronze armour (as their helmets) and call them King's guard, after which I finally make that mounted Gil-galad conversion...

Anyway, this is the only one for now, though I hope he won't stay as such for too long!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The red and white look great and I think the stars on the dark background came out well. It looks like a totally different model. great work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Sithious.

Won't be posting too much non-LotR related figures here, but just finished this guy (Irish warrior for SAGA, from the plastic Gripping Beast - Dark Age Warriors box), and reckoned some of you could be interested in using it for all kinds of Middle-earth-related-purposes. Nice to paint, which is a good thing as he came accompanied by 39 friends...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That elf is incredible! Really good job.
What model did you use as the base for that Haradrim king? Is it just a radier with some heavy modifications? I'd love to be able to do a similar project

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very cool conversion and painting work

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:26 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Magnificent work, once again! :yay:

The mounted Haradrim King turned out very well, love the pose, the sculpting, the (re)design, everything! The only thing I would love more is if it would be painted.. ;)

The Orc also looks great! Lovely colour scheme, nice and dark, as suits the guy. You painted him sooner than me, by the way..

The Elf conversion is also very nice! He looks very interesting. I like his design very much (although I don't prefer plate in Tolkien's world). He feels hellenic indeed. The colours also work fantastically with each other.

The Dark Age Warrior also looks great! Could well be used as a Dunlending, a warrior from Rhudaur, or pretty much any evil/angry human militia from North West Middle-earth. :)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice all round work.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Everything is well-detailed! I like the photoshooting, it's that clear to show everything up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Many thanks guys!

Not much of an update sadly, will be working on two SAGA warbands for the next few weeks. The order with those models was accompanied by the following model however:

A rather imposing and most certainly angry bear (Reaper miniatures 'Dire bear'). Obviously an alternative transformed Beorn. Roughly the size of a Cave troll I reckon. May well get some paint soon...

JamesR wrote:
What model did you use as the base for that Haradrim king? Is it just a radier with some heavy modifications? I'd love to be able to do a similar project
Just a Raider indeed. Base is the one with the open right hand; you can recognise the shape of the chainmail hood in his cloth. Right arm was swapped for the 'charging' one, with lance and arm aligned. Only non-Raider addition was the subtle feather, on the horse's head.

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
The only thing I would love more is if it would be painted.. ;)
Some day, I'm sure, some day...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Still not working on much, or indeed any Middle-earth goodness for now, just finished 46 Skraelings for SAGA (few more to do, at some point) and currently working both on some Irish and Mutatawwi'a.
Seeing how figures for the latter would be decent models for something Harad related, I might as well post 'em here too. Straight from the Gripping Beast plastic Arab box (aside from the chainmail on the first guy, which was sculpted after carving away some cloth), which builds 40 guys, either with swords (8), bows (16), javelins (16) and/or spears (24) and a variety of heads (16 full scarf, 8 helmets, 8 turban+helmet and 32 turbans), all for some 20 quid. Paint up nicely too, so I can definitely recommend them if you like what you see.
Shields are seperate too by the way, so don't have to be glued on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How does the gripping beast stuff scale with LOTR figures. The Arab box would be perfect to add variaty to a harad force.

http://journeyofthering.wordpress.com
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next