All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Coenus' randomly updated topic of random things
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Expect the unexpected, don't hold your breath for updates and attempt not to find a pattern between them!

To kick off with.. a small wattle fence. Never made much (if any) scenery, but want to build a bit of a collection. This one is just to try an experimental technique, will make some seperate pieces to make livestock enclosures and other barricades, but it should eventually be used to produce a round fortification as locals here used to build over 1000 years ago to protect them from raiding Vikings.. with some luck, it will serve Rohirrim equally well against marauding Uruk-hai, or Arnorians against barbarians from Carn Dûm. For now, just a small simple fence though!
With figure for scale:

Reconstruction on 1:1 scale (not my work!):

Some other bits from the past few months, to make for a better grand opening of this thread:

WIP Warrior > Shieldbearer:

And finished:

Fellowship Merry > Hobbit archer

Emyn Muil Sam > Hobbit Militia

And finally, a Haradrim king on foot and mounted. Arms with spear or sword are magnetised and can be used on both, same goes for the quiver with bow. Both have had some work done on them since then, including a cloak and armour on the mounted version.

More things at some point in the future!

Last edited by Coenus Scaldingus on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Coën's randomly updated topic of random things
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Class mate.
Keep the pics comin lad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very well done :!: The fence is just like those in real life, the hobbit conversions are well done and will add some more character to your army and the Haradrim king's armour is very well sculpted :D
One thing I would say, though, is that the Merry Archer pose isn't very dynamic but the conversion work is amazing 8)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The fencing looks great. How did you make it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Excellent work mate! Though I've seen most of it, the wattle fence is also new for me! I love it, it looks perfect! :yay:
Am I correct in thinking it is made of vertical wooden cocktail prickers, and with copper wire woven between it? Either way, it works out great and I guess you can start working on your round fort now.. ;)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Excellent conversions. Looking forward for others :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very clean sculpting style, I like this a lot! Especially the chainmail is great! The idea to convert the fellowship hobbits into hobbit milita or archers is great, the converted Sam is stunning but the converted Merry looks a bit strange. I think it is possible that I think so because of his ugly face! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Harad king foot and mounted are fabulous - you have made the most of the original sculpts and have taken them up a notch. Very well done!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A very belated thank you very much, I suppose that's what happens when distracted by all kinds of other projects.
Hobbits will of course be continued in the Shire plog, but plenty of other random things to keep one occupied.

First, to answer that question: the fence is indeed made form skewers with florists wire woven in between. Haven't continued it yet, I'll have to purchase or construct some bigger clasps first (to fix the skewers in place). In bigger pieces, they can of course be glued in the hill where they will be placed, but that's not a possibility for seperate pieces.

Now then, for the new random stuff: Iron Hills dwarves! Or one, really, but more are to follow at some point hopefully somewhere next year. Don't care what weird stuff is shown in the movies, my dwarves should be wearing a nice chainmail coat and, even more importantly, arrive on foot!

The Hobbit wrote:
Dain had come. He had hurried on through the night, and so had come upon them sooner than they had expected. Each one of his folk was clad in a hauberk of steel mail that hung to his knees, and his legs were covered with hose of a fine and flexible metal mesh, the secret of whose making was possessed by Dain's people.
The dwarves are exceedingly strong for their height, but most of these were strong even for dwarves. In battle they wielded heavy two-handed mattocks; but each of them had also a short broad sword at his side and a round shield slung at his back. Their beards were forked and plaited and thrust into their belts. Their caps were of iron and they were shod with iron, and their faces were grim.

Among the best and most thorough descriptions of any guys anywhere by Tolkien, and it happens to sound pretty realistic and rather awesome to boot.
Followed it entirely aside from the beard, although others will include that as well. Will convert a small group of them, some 6 guys that I won't be using much otherwise anyway (only include warriors with shield or bow in my normal lists). These will then probably count as Khazad Guard: strong (S4) solid armour (D7) and a nice bodyguard to either Dáin (for BotFA and beyond) or his father Náin (at Azanulbizar).

(Added advantage: these remind me of Sami axemen from Medieval II Total War, among my favourite units)

And then something completly different, a very early WIP Morgul Knight (more of those will follow as well). Some small alterations: 'crown' on mask was removed, which I'll only keep for the Marshal to help differentiate him more. Shield had the metal plates on the surface removed, so that it's just a flat piece with a rim. Much more realistic/practical. Early draft of the Minas Morgul emblem:
Return of the King wrote:
Two liveries Sam noticed, one marked by the Red Eye, the other by a Moon disfigured with a ghastly face of death; but he did not stop to look more closely.

Painted are just the teeth, eyes and tongue of the horse, as well as the cloth barding. Tried two dark green tones there on the two layers, but will either make those a bit lighter, or come up with a suitably light-yet-dark colour for the rider. While I like to follow the writings reasonably well, an entire army clad in nothing but black is a bit too boring to paint to my tastes!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice conversions!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some imaginative and well executed conversions here!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ooh! I really like the tweaks to the Morgul Knight. It makes him look more convincing while maintaining the air of evil.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have to agree on the knight being superb, but I think he is far more menacing now than the original model. Good job

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great models on here, the Hobbits are funny! Great sculpting!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

JamesR wrote:
I have to agree on the knight being superb, but I think he is far more menacing now than the original model. Good job

I agree 8)

I was looking through old miniatures looking for statues when I found some Heritage Iron Hills Dwarves. They were released some time after the Hobbit cartoon sometime just after 1977.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love the Iron Hill Dwarf conversion! Perfect, I don't have anything else to add. 8) Looking forward to see it painted!

The Morgul Knight is also coming along nicely. I didn't notice you painted the barding already until I read it, but it looks suitably dark. As for the rider's clothing, I think I would go some very dark brown-red. I'm not sure how well that will go with the dark green though, but if you keep them dark enough, I guess it should work.
The free-hand on the shield also looks great! Perfect match from the description, I'd say.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Many thanks guys, here some pictures of the Iron Hills dwarf all painted up:

Decided to paint the mysterious leg protection in a bronzish tone to break the boring metal up a bit (after all, those are described as being made of metal, not specifically iron or steel). Wanted something different from my normal Dwarven scheme (majority of clothing in purple, with smaller areas dark red) while retaining much of the palette. Brighter red and white should fit well enough, and I kept a very dark shade of purple in some leather areas. Looking at the result, I may repaint the shield surface and the lower elements of the helmet as reddish-brown leather, which would fit with those other dwarves much better.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Brilliant! The colour scheme is lovely, and I find it very fitting for the Iron Hills.
The mattock also worked out very well, I must say, and so does the bronze leg mesh.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of those! :yay:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And as a nice contrast, thought I'd repost my OR challenge entry here as well.

The troll used to be part of Bob Olley's own range (I think), molds were sold to some company that doesn't exist anymore, but the former owner still had some casts left. Upon seeing it, I thought he'd make a great William: he is very big (just over the size of a Mordor Troll), looks relatively human (anatomy, clothing, jewelry) but also pretty primitive and is decorated with bones and various shiney metals, like the stuff found in their larder. And of course, he carries a big bag to capture unfortunate dwarven travellers in. That he looks like a more humanoid version of those typical Scandinavian trolls is a nice bonus, seeing how the Northern mythologies were of course a major source of inspiration for Tolkien. Only small alterations were to shorten the blade and change the pommel and cross guard to make it into a big knife instead of a sword (normal figure: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P_aU0m3ExM0/U ... 000389.JPG).

As for the painting, I gave him a slightly unhealthy skintone (no exposure to sunlight!) and tried to get some variety in there by painting his 'clothing' in various patterns and colours (on top a grey wolf, brown bear as cloak and black bear as tunic - Beorn won't be pleased!), and the same for the bones and horns he wears as decoration - furs and horns painted after examples on pictures. Only thing that doesn't really show in the pictures is that his eyes have a dark red iris, but you can just about make it out from the second angle.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A great miniature and a splendid paint job on him. I particularly like the way you have painted the furs with varying tones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next