All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: SOF's WiP - Swan Knight and videos (29/05)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beautiful sculpting. It will be nice to see this one completed.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject: Re: SOF's WiP - Swan Knight and videos (31/05)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello everybody,

thank you very much for your nice comments!
I agree, the chainmail is a bit rough, I'l have to see whether I will change it or not, unfortunately it is already baked.
Before all my exams start I thought I'd show the current progress of the knight. I won't be able to upload videos as regularly, but I still have plenty more material. Here you can see the first 4 videos!

The shield isn't burnt, but a marker which I used to draw the silhouette of the design was absorbed by the putty. What do you think of the position of the shield? I changed it to the other arm now which means that he can draw his sword, and turned it by 90° because I have a nice pose for a future miniature in mind, which could use the shield as a weapon. I also started the belt, added a beard and thinned the sword sheath slightly.

I am interested in your opinions!

Cheers,
Bennet

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Damn Bennett that looks so good.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks fantastic! The shield position works well and I'm glad you thinned the sword sheath - that looks much better like this. Your putty work is very impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

wow, I hope more people like yourself are going to sculpt more figures at this high of quality.

If we can get a small market for newer figures going, especially figures that we never got from GW, that would be incredible.
 Post subject: SOF's irregularly updated thread of everything
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello guys (and girls),

long time no see, but I haven't been inactive. I've still been reading a lot silently, and done quite a bit of sculpting and painting, and I'll try and catch up with some of that.

First of all I sculpted an Uruk Berserker captain, I started last autumn and finished him a couple of weeks back. First up there's a WiP shot:

And then pictures of the finished model. Unfortunately I had problems with the baking of the BeeS Putty, the model cracked in some parts and one time the model seemed to "sweat", so there was a sort of putty juice which covered up the details of the chainmail. :(

And a size comparison with a GW berserker, he's a bit tall and the head a bit small, I know. I like the more realistic proportions though, what do you think?

Also, I am thinking of having him cast and sold with some more casts of my banner bearer. What do you guys think?

Next up there's a new WiP of the elk conversion for Thranduil. I wasn't happy with the size and head of the original one, so I scraped it all off and started all over. Much happier now, just gotta do all the fur again...

Also I did a horse sculpt which I picked up again yesterday after what must have been two years. I was really happy with the armature but never got around to finishing it, so I cut the Milliput down and added BeeS Putty, here's the model after a day of being a busy bee (see what I did there?):
The front hoof is not done yet:

Image Image

The eye on this one is already fixed, don't worry.

Aaand I bought some easterling Kataphrakts and started kitbashing them with the old metal versions. The left guy is supposed to represent the model for the captain once he has lost one life, that way I don't need to keep track of the wounds. Hard to see on the picture, but he's been hit by a dwarven bolt and also has a cape.

Alright, last project for now, I promise. Anybody following the blog of the skirmisher may know these, I painted a small troup of Haradrim/Mahud earlier this year. Click on the picture to see more.

Oh sorry, forgot a couple. :-D
A small dwarven merchant cart:
There's a video on how to sculpt the wooden structure HERE.

And I also got a video of how to sculpt the face of an Ent/Groot here:
Image.

Alright, I apologise for the very long post, I'll try and update this space more regularly in the future. I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys though, especially what videos you'd like to see next and whether you'd be interested in a cast of the Uruk Berserker.

Best wishes,
Bennet

Post subject: Re: SOF's WiP - Berserker, Horse Sculpt, Videos, Harad (06/0
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bennett
Great to see you back and clearly doing some great work. Your sculpts seem to be developing really well. I'm on my phone so I will look again when I get chance.
First impression is really good, I like the proportions of the Beserker, maybe thicker legs ?
Horse looks spot on and Thranduil looks much better scale.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent work you have here! I love the idea of the captain losing a wound conversion! 8) I think I will do something similar with my heroes, though I'm not sure what. What did you use to make the tires on the cart?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sculpting to me is the hardest aspect of this hobby, or just sculpting in general, so I'm always amazed when I see someone sculpting their own figures. They look far better than anything I could hope to come up with.
I also like the colors on the Haradrim, the blue looks really nice.

-PoW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10