All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Gondor conversions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

These look great! Absolutely love the one in the back left as well as the bowman next to him.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, that back left model looks great, any chance of a close-up?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Maybe you could try scraping of the armour on some, it would look like the model is wearing some sort of cloth
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Slinky, don't really like taking too close of pictures of what I do, show too many mistakes :-)

Took the Rohan figure that is advancing with the spear over his head (figure on the left is another copy of what I used), cut off his head and arms where they met the cloak.

The Minas Tirith warrior I cut off his head and arms back at the sholder.

When looked at closely, the arms are bigger than the standard Rohan, but I think for tabletop usage they look fine. Tilted the head downwards, and raised the sword arm up to get the effect I wanted.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - Gondor Patrol
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another project off the paint table - Gondor Patrol. As mentioned, a project in the future is a Gondorian Outpost along the Gondor/Harad border.

Thanks to Nevinsrip for the non-gw horses and the idea to take the bedroll off the bush backpacks from Victoria Miniatures (https://victoriaminiatures.com/collecti ... ckpacks-x5) and put them as bedrolls on the back of the horses.

IF my skills were better, I would probably make cloaks for these riders as they are in an arid area.

Some modifications to the plastic WoMT knights:

Replaced the spears with brass rod, cutting off the pendants and putting Gondorian spear heads on them. Repositioned some arms/hands to give them all the same angle holding the spears. Drilled through the hands for the rods, put liquid greenstuff on the rods before painting to give them a bit of texture and to hold the paint better. Cut the pendants off to use on the outpost later and I felt that they weren't very practical if you were spearing someone.

Made one knight a horn blower by using an old horn hand from my wargames factory bits pile.

Captain is a Faramir head and sword from another foot knight.

Initially painted the shields the color of the banner but didn't have the effect I wanted so went back to the standard black for the shields.

Some pics:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Super cool! I love how well the desert sand colour works with the overall scheme. And it's nice to see your rock wall featured. I can't wait to see your outpost!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent work there, Map.

I used the cloaks that come with the Fireforge Templars.
A lot easier than green stuffing them. There was a company that broke up all the plastic figure sets and sold parts. "Hoards o' Bits" I think it was called. Try them.

Found it.
http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?c ... 52013-1-19
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Barracks progress
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Had a chance to work on the Dale Garrison barracks; have replaced windows to agree with the main house, did some press molds to add to the sides, attached the back of the house, made the front portion. Still deciding on how to do the roof on the sides, have several ideas I am working on.

Looking at my windlance on the platform I had done earlier and thought if I could incorporate it onto the house. Keep that side roof flat and have to do the platform higher so figures could fit underneath it and do half walls to fight from.

Then I thought about if I don't cut out the window for an upstairs door I could rearrange the top floor off to the side.

Or I could add another floor ... but I really don't want to build more walls.

Or I could just do a simple platform off the roof with a ladder.

Will see where the wind blows and what I decide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's going very nicely!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This topic is really inspiring - I'm planning to use the bedrolls bits on my knights, too.
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - project revisited
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One of the first projects I did when I got back into the hobby and posted on my wip (way back on page 1, 3 years ago !?!) was an entrance to Dol Guldur

Going back through my wip and other my threads on the one ring and replacing my photobucket pictures with imgur images, I looked at that earlier project and looked at it on my window sill and thought I should try something different using some ideas I have had since then.

So, tore off some green, replaced with dried lichen from the yard, took my jar of broken glass that I had bought at a hobby store and added it as broken rock/lava in the crevasses, put some craft paint for lava, drybrushed some more and here is the latest version:

"But Gandalf, what if it is a trap?

"It is undoubtedly a trap."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Everything Looks Amazing Mapper!!! As far as your configurations go for the Dale Garrison Barracks and Lancer I like how many options you gave yourself. I would say leave it modular so you can always change it later for any scenario, But if your going for one in particular I would say options 2 or 3. The way the platform works coinciding with the rest of the buildings and the way its leveled seems much more preferable for troop movement.

Also that Gondor Patrol on the Harad Border look brilliant love the khaki colored scheme uniform under their armor, Amazing stuff!!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Amazing work! I really like all the terrain you make! Keep the pics coming as they're very inspiring!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Modular terrain is always to be desired - it depends on how much extra effort it would be for you to prepare it in that manner.
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - tower
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Went with the side tower, built this weekend. Still needs some railings, more painting.

Wish I had thought about removing the top to allow easier placement inside but it still works.

Reworking what to do in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That looks amazing, are the walls made of coffee stirrers on the lower floor of the Watch Tower? If not what are they?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

TheTarkLord - nope, toothpicks!

My go to for buildings is using bass wood and toothpicks. The planks of top of the building (and for the planks on my docks) is 1/8 inch by 1/16th, the pilings and supports for the building is 1/8 by 1/8 and the wider planks for the railing and around the top is 1/4 inch by 1/16. I try to keep everything in multiples to make it easier to plan and build. I'm lucky that I have a hobby shop nearby that carries balsa and bass wood for projects.

I use the tool in the picture to cut my wood, basically a razor blade on a lever for straight cuts down - just have to remember to replace the blade to keep it sharp.

For the planks on the side, I use flat toothpicks, cutting off the rounded and narrow end, using the middle part of the toothpick, which I flip to even out the widths.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - photobucket images replaced
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Was embarrassed that my page count kept going up with so many images missing, so I spent a rainy day going through my wip and replaced all my photobucket images with imgur. Really needed to retake some of the pictures that the focus wasn't right, etc, but doubt I will ever find the time to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@Mapper Ah, thanks I hadn't thought of using them, I'll have to pick some up for future projects.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks so much for sorting out the images! There were loads of broken links and I felt sad that I missed them as I joined the forum only recently.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Next