All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Shield Maiden
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

After painting so much black and grey, I needed to do something else. I had gone to a game store/pub with my brother and while it was mostly board games, card games and x-wing, they did have some miniatures. Looking at them I thought while the rest of the figure was larger than LOTR, the heads might work. So I bought Whizkids Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts human female fighters dual set https://wizkids.com/deep-cuts-unpainted/ and promptly cut off a head. :D

The casting I got (should have looked closer at the store), the features on the face weren't as pronounced as the one on the webpage but works well enough as long you don't take pictures. :)

Used a warrior of rohan body I had, added the female head, a pouch from Victoria Miniatures and tired of black and grey or brown and green of Rohan - went with blues and whites. Also wanted the white to go with the flower found on the tombs of the kings - Simbelmynë, also named Evermind, which I crudely put on the shield.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks cool, the head seems to scale pretty well. I haven't heard of these Wizkids Pathfinder minis, but as I've been on the lookout for some elf heads without helmets I'm kind of intrigued by these options. The elf ears on the Pathfinder minis look a little big, but they could be trimmed down.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice! I like the simbelmyne on the shield, very fitting.
And I can easily imagine her taking up arms to defend her cottage or village from plundering orcs or wild men from Isengard.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - just some pics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cleaning off my camera and my work desk so I can get back to work on my lake town buildings.

Just some pics I took while I was working on the statue/rock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These pictures for some reason reminded me of Haleth's defense in the first age haha, before she was saved by Caranthir's people.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

These photos are all great! Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - mounted Gothmog
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Back in May 2016, I bought a batch of LOTR figures off of Ebay. Included in the batch were eight Warg Riders including the mounted Gothmog. I cleaned them up, put on the base coat which I had used on my other Warg Riders and promptly threw them into the ever growing to be painted mountain (dungeon?)

Trying to get rid of some of the odds and ends before I tackle my next army, I pulled them out and finished them off.

Gothmog leading the charge:

Encounter at Warg head rock:

Post subject: Re: Mapper - lake town bits
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Working on my lake town houses again, with a short sidetrack of painting and attaching the bits that come with the kits to bases. I knew if I didn't glue them down I would end up forgetting about them or losing them.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - lake town bits
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Using bike bases is a really great idea. They look great, especially all together at the bottom.

I'm trying to paint up odds and ends, too. Pulled out the uruk-hai box and did a unit of 14 xbows. Almost finished, but that box never seems to empty! Looking forward to the fell beast peeking out of it most of all.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - lake town progress
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Finally decided on a plan of attack on my laketown house. While I liked my tower, I felt the proportions weren't right. So, tore it apart and re-purposed it as a platform for the one house, and a fighting platform.

I had liked what I had done before as making it a gateway so went with that theme and also wanted it to look like the house was added to an old entrance.

The house parts are separate from the old lotr bits except on the back of the house, where it will be glued onto the house

At some point I might make a smaller platform for the gatehouse to sit on, with a water pass thru vs the decking.

Sample layout and looking into the gatehouse.

Still have to work on the roofing on the sides but at least I know what I want to do now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent idea using the bike bases to group the scatter terrain into usable chunks, makes it usable and not losable :D
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That sample layout really shows how it's all coming together. The gatehouse is definitely my favorite piece!
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Rivendel Elf spearmen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Following Metalface13's conversion of Rivendel Elves had me looking at the one spearman I had done a while ago. Not feeling like painting this weekend I got out my drill, a 1mm piece of brass rod I use for spears/flags and put a new blade in my x-acto.

Cut off the swords, drilled through the hands while the arms were still attached then cut off the arms at the shoulders. The left arm I also cut at the elbow and rotated it. Hands were cut off to rotate them correctly.

The spear heads are the tops of some banners from an old wargames factory spruce. I usually put a dab of model putty on top of the brass rod as I glue the spear heads on since they are too small to drill. Just trim off the excess putty and glue after it is set.

Still need to smooth out the greenstuff at the shoulders and add liquid greenstuff to the spears to add texture before I can prime them. Need nicer weather for that though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

wow, really cool conversions. Their stances look natural
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whoa! those are cool! I really like the one with the left arm raised like he's rallying the troops. I've seen several conversions of sword elves to spear elves, but these are the first that have really convinced me. I was worried the raised shoulders of the sword elves would look awkward, but they really are in a nice advancing pose. Going to give them shields?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the comments, I surprised myself how well they came out.

Metalface13 - I had done a swordsman with arm raised also, the arrows will fly when the arm drops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great idea with the raised arm.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Your converted high elf poses really came out nicely, they add a lot of variety to the faction. Even unpainted, that latest photo you posted with the archers on the balcony, and statues below is really exciting! It gets my blood pumping as I imagine the rest of what that must look like. It's a really action-packed photo! And the architecture is beautiful.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Incredible conversions, bravo!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Those turned out really nice, good job!

-PoW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 36  Next