PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice progress!
 Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Week 9 Legolas and more Elves
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi all, my update for this week. Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish the whole warband for the Hobby challenge but 9/12 isnt bad 8)

That just leaves 3 spearmen (spearelves?) to do and the warband is complete.

Now for my next warband the plan was to have Arwen leading some unarmoured elves, to my surprise I found that this is no longer possible with the sourcebooks. Not sure why I thought this ,this might be going back to the old rules. In any case, it has given me another idea. As I have a Galadriel model that needs painting she can lead the warband so the theme will be based around the White Council and their retinues.

After this warband I will likely then do Thranduil leading some Mirkwood palace guard.

I did also manage to finish Legolas, here he is:

Next to the rest of the Fellowship, some I have painted earlier in the year. I have no idea where Merry has gone though... :roll:

Last of all a bit of an experiment using cakeboard as a base for some scatter terrain. So far it seems sturdy, will have to see how it turns out with some paint on it.

I did a bit of work on my first Iron Hills dwarf but I'm not too happy with the scheme so will likely end up changing it. The ones I've seen so far that people have been posting have been really impressive!

Thanks for reading, will update again next week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would not recommend this brown to elves but with the crimson you combined it made the scheme fantastic! Also I love the color of the goblin king in the previous page, made him different from the rest of the goblins, let's say more beefy :P :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you so much

I'm a little behind with my painting this week so I likely won't do another update until more progress is made

Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Update 10 - Wood Elves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey guys, haven't been able to do much lately but did get a few bits finished.

Some wood elves warriors from Lothlorien. The bright yellow/brown is out of my painting comfort zone, with a bit more practice though I think I can get it down a bit smoother.

I went with the same red cloaks to match my Rivendell elves. These guys stick out a when stood next to them so I might revisit the highlights on the Rivendell elves at some point:

I also finished a piece of scatter terrain, a simple rocky outcrop. I tested out using 2 different shades of grass and I think it worked quite nicely.

The elves taking position:

I need a little break from elves so this week I will have a look through the cupboard for something a bit different to paint.

Cheers,

Scib.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They look good. nice color scheme for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks Sithious ^^

A little change this time, I've been working on some Men of Dale. I've painted some previously in a red scheme but I wanted these to go with my Dwarves for a 600 points force so have chosen a scheme to match.

Another piece of terrain completed, these are some plastic ruins that I bought earlier in the year.

I've also darkened the rocky piece slightly to fit in.

Thanks for reading,

Scib.

Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Update 11 - Allies from Dale
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice color scheme! It looks really good next to the dwarf warrior. The terrain looks excellent as well, it makes me want to pull out some of my old game boards again. :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work on the man of Dale and the terrain looks suitably fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks both. Good progress has been made this week hopefully I can get the whole warband finished, about 90% there at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work on the terrain the rocks, path and stone looks perfectly painted. Now fill it with minis :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you - hopefully in the future I might be able to do a few battle reports on it

This weekend I managed to finish my Dale warband. It's got me thinking that an army of these would be good to take advantage of their strength 3 bows...

Anyway, not too sure what I'll be working on next. I've started a Genestealer Cult army for Warhammer 40K to keep me occupied for the time being so I will see what takes my fancy once I have made a start on them.

Cheers,

Scib.

Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Update 12 - Completed Dale Warband
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The dale warband looks great. Excellent painting and very nice colour scheme. The bases fit them well too. Looking forward to see whats next on the table. :yay:

Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Update 13 - Goblin Reinforcements
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words 8)

This last couple of weeks I've been working on some more Moria goblins. Originally what was painted was Durburz, 2x captains, 18x goblins, 1x cave troll and 6x fell wargs.

Over the last couple of weeks I've managed to finish another 45 goblins which beefs their number up nicely. Half of the new goblins I did with red skin rather than the pale yellow/brown to add in some variety.

Here are a few pictures (please excuse the quality/flash as its on a new phone I haven't managed to figure out yet!)

Next to be done will be another 8x prowlers, 12x fell wargs, 2x cave trolls, Druzhag and the Balrog which are in process. Hopefully these won't take too long to finish off then I will get some shots of the whole army up.

Cheers,

Scib.

Post subject: Re: Scib's Hobby Log - Update 14 - Aragorn and Fell Wargs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi there,

Little while again since my last update, have got a few things completed though :)

I've started working through the BGIME magazines from the beginning. The first issue comes with 12x Moria Goblins which I have painted a lot recently and so instead I decided to paint Aragorn who is needed for the scenario.

Not displeased with him, I could do with some more practice painting dark greens I think. Here he is surrounded by a group of goblins.

Next up, here are some hedges that I had a go at making. This is following The Terrain Tutor's video on youtube. The base is made out of foamboard which I textured and then painted. Then I used a hot glue gun to stick down lichen to use as a sub-structure for the hedge. Afterwards, fast-tac spray glue was used and different shades of flock was scattered on top.

Here are 6 more fell wargs that have been completed, these are done in a lighter brown to add some variety to the darker wargs that I have already painted.

Finally, I have started on the Warriors of the Last Alliance from BGIME Issue 2. Below is a Warrior of Numenor pretty much completed, just the base needs doing and I might go back and touch up some of the silver where it's been applied a bit thick, I do like how he has turned out.

Will see how the progress goes on the rest of the warriors and maybe try my hand at a bit more terrain.

Until next time, cheers,

Scib.