All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

Post subject: Montizzle's WIP --16JUN17-Goat Rider Captain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

First up the armored legolas I did years ago. He represents Legolas as he appeared at Helm's Deep. I seem to recall the book mentioning a mail shirt and sword, but I could be wrong. I've improved as a painter (and converter) since then...

Why do I show you an old conversion in a work in progress thread? Well, the army he is in is the work in progress, and more importantly, his mounted version is still a work in progress.

In addition, recently on my table Elfhelm could be found. As many of you have already gathered, I eentered the mounted version in January's challenge.

Last but not least, I found myself in need of more "pikes" than are supplied in boxes for Easterlings. My wife has been kind enough to paint some, so I want her army to be adequately armed to destroy mine. I used byls (also spelled bills) for the Easterlings because they are very similar in form to what the Easterlings already use, and well, they have a soft spot in my heart after serving in a unit with a byl as our insignia.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RDjGZN]Image[/url

Last edited by montizzle on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Montizzle's conversions and other works in progress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is my goat rider captain conversion. He is supposed to look like he'd fit in with a Durin's folk army, and I would say I was successful in that regard. I did a head swap with a khazad guard, filed down the shoulders a bit to be better canvasses for heraldry, added a shield from the plastic Durin's folk box, a cape from the Easterling Kataphrakt box, and arm swapped with one of the iron hills dismounts I bought to represent this guy and his soldiers on the tabletop. He will get more paint, he hasn't received layering yet. Basing will done too, but I have never prioritized bases over painting, so please don't expect miracles.

ImageConverted Goat rider captain by robertmontag, on Flickr
This is a good view of the side with the shield. The colors of the warband/house he is associated with really make him look like a dark age warrior out of legend.

This view will soon include some unique to him unit insignia marking him as a veteran of past campaigns with other units. I decided he will represent specifically my troop commander from Afghanistan. One rider will likewise represent one fella I served with in Iraq.

This is the best view of the head swap, which I initially thought was necessary to tie the goat riders to the Durin's folk army I already have, but the khazad guard helmet is so similar to the iron hills it may have been wasted effort. This is also the best view of the one pauldron I ave already painted. Since the troops don't have shields, and the army is based on my old army unit (and associated units) I thought the shoulders were a great place for heraldry.

Please feel free to comment or critique my minis, while it is not finished (WIP thread, right?) and I am not the best, I will try to make it better. If you have any neat ideas for conversions too, I'd love to hear them.
 Post subject: Re: Montizzle's WIP --16JUN17-Goat Rider Captain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Warpaint on the horns!! Great idea !

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
 Post subject: Re: Montizzle's WIP --16JUN17-Goat Rider Captain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you! I am awfully fond of warpaint. My Sauron has stripes, Elfhelm's horse has Plains Indian horse markings (the other Rohirrim will to eventually), and eventually when I get sons of eorl they will get warpaint on their faces.