All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Post subject: MASSIVE Modular Osgiliath Gameboard [NEW Video]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings all!

Today is a pretty big day for me. I'm pretty new here, but I've been SBGing since launch and the city of Osgiliath has always been a huge favourite of mine. About 7 years ago I set out to make a pretty cool Osgiliath board that would make for dynamic large scale campaign play to really capture the war of attrition between Gondor and Mordor that took place in the city.

And today, seven and a half years later, I finally finished it!

I put together a video for you guys to check out so have a look and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP9mfJNltlI

If you guys have any questions about the board or the custom rules or anything feel free to fire away.

Thanks!

¬Hasufel

Last edited by Hasufel on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: HUGE Osgiliath Gameboard [With Video]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fantastic stuff - Well done!

:orc: :boromir :orc:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Slink :)

¬Hasufel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice video. I'd love to see some battle reports, especially if you filled us in on your rules.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

+1. Would love to see your resource campaign rules and a campaign filmed using them in the city. I'd love to see more individual shots of the buildings.

I was really impressed to see the initial building cut out in an hour! I work in plaster, so my design process is a little different. I design on 1cm graph paper, because my blocks are in inches, so it scales nicely. I do like to do a sketch first. I usually assemble my arches first, because they are seldom even 1" increments and a little hard to sketch out. It's extremely frustrating to build a section and not have it line up nicely. Then I usually place blocks to mark out the footprint and then I start gluing.

Nice to know my grotesquely large buildings are actually in keeping with Osgiliath scale. I have a staircase I just finished that weighs more than my cat. I also can't really bear to ruin my buildings. It's as simple as dropping a wall section on the floor most of the time, but I guess I just like to see a clean finished building. Something's gotta get it though, one of these days. I do have a few projects that are frustrating me...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Awesome board man.....congrats on finishing such an impressive project...

Would love to see videos showing that board in action.

Well done and congrats....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys!

First up here are the campaign rules. Full disclosure this document hasn't been designed for public sharing so probably contains shorthand or nomenclature that may not make sense to others than myself and my fellow Zorps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyh9wrkyvhuc4 ... K.pdf?dl=0

Happy to answer any questions or here feedback about the rules; all ideas welcome :D

I'll definitely be doing some battle reports, there's been heaps of requests for it, so that is definitely in the works.

GKA - that sounds awesome man. I've yet to make the leaps of experimenting with plaster. I've got a Hobbiton board planned for some way down the track and I'll definitely want to do some rock work with plaster so I'm keen to check it out. I totally agree about ruining buildings. It's really hard. In the beginning I would make them complete and then ruin them, but it was like killing my own children so I started designing them ruined from the beginning to force myself to let go of the completed forms.

¬Hasufel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice - admire your dedication to getting it finished. Love the timelapse in the video, makes one appreciate how much work goes into doing something like this, and the excellent results.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Absolutely Amazing!!! Your terrain skills are stunning and the board is excellent. The time lapse video for the building is great, definitely going to recommend people who want to start making there own battle ruined building to visit that link.

Also noticed you had built the dome of stars, I've actually been trying to find the person responsible for that, saw it on google image about a year ago and was amazed by it. I may have to pick your brain on that one when I get around to building my own :wink: , and Congrats on finishing your board! :yay:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
Very nice - admire your dedication to getting it finished. Love the timelapse in the video, makes one appreciate how much work goes into doing something like this, and the excellent results.

Thanks man I'm glad you liked it.

vivalablake89 wrote:
Also noticed you had built the dome of stars, I've actually been trying to find the person responsible for that, saw it on google image about a year ago and was amazed by it. I may have to pick your brain on that one when I get around to building my own

Thanks dude :) By all means. One thing that did always get me down is that due to the rescale of the board, The Citadel of Stars is pretty small compared to how large it is. One day I'd love to do a whole board dedicated to a much larger citadel to fully encompass it's greatness :D

¬Hasufel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys,

So here is the first official version of the campaign rules. Check them out if you want :) any feedback would be sweet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7cdwy29jui1m ... 1.pdf?dl=0

I made a separate thread for the rules in the campaign section but it didn't get much traction so I thought I'd throw them up in here for posterity.

Thanks guys,

~Hasufel
 Post subject: Re: HUGE Osgiliath Gameboard [UPDATED with NEW Video]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys!

I've put together a second video on my Osgiliath board to go into a whole lot more detail and explore the design process with a big focus on modularity.

Check it out and let me know what you think :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgstUXQ ... xq&index=2

Cheers,

~Hasufel