All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

Post subject: Dallo's Goblin Town Conversions and Painting Log
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all,

Having returned to SBG at the end of last year, I have set myself the (perhaps ambitious) goal of having a fully painted and based army that I can be proud of. More specifically, I have decided I would like to have a Goblin Town army where no two models are alike.

This log is intended to document my (likely intermittent)journey. I am currently playing with my Goblins in a battle company campaign, so expect them to crop up at some point.

For now I wanted to start by showing off three conversions I have completed.

The first of these was a simple weapon swap using the axe head from the two handed weapon.

Please excuse the mold lines as I haven't got around to cleaning the models yet. The plan is to base the force using Generation Shift Bases.

The next conversion features one of my battle company members (the painted hand goblin), who has recently been promoted to a hero. The conversion was again a simple weapon swap, this time using a flaming brand from the Uruk Hai Demolition Team Sprue.

The final conversion for this post was a bit more involved. I have given this model an orc banner. In games of Battle Companies, it will be the company banner and in normal games, the model will just be a regular goblin. The banner is pinned in two places, so it is reasonably secure, if a little top heavy.

This is a conversion that has been on my mind since I first saw this goblin model as it looks perfectly posed for a banner. I'm not sure what emblem to paint onto the banner. Perhaps a mountain range with a stylised eye? Suggestions and C&C are welcome.

Cheers.

Dallo
 Post subject: Re: Dallo's Goblin Town Conversions and Painting Log
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice. Ihave been working on some conversions tooand will post them when finished.

I searched for ideas for my banner bearer and found:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the post and banner suggestion.

I'll try and get a few more photos up today.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here are two more conversions and the base model. The model on the right was briefly a Sgt in my Battle Company before the model was replaced with the resin Captain model, who will probably appear in a future post. That model was a simple arm swap with Grinnah.

The model with the flail was a slightly more involved conversion.The flail was shortened and reposed, with another goblin providing the left armfor this conversion.

As you can see, the greenstuff is still a little rough and will need cleaning but on the whole, I'm pretty happy with this conversion. I like how the model interacts with two different levels of the base.

What do you folks think? Do you have a favourite so far, or any suggestions for conversion ideas? Currently I'm working on a prototype concept for a bowman, which I don't think I've seen done before.

C&C welcome.

Dallo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These are really cool. I especially like your banner bearer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the kind words GreatKhanArtist.

Dallo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like them a lot, pretty seamless already, will be even more so when painted I am sure!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The banner bearer is an awesome conversion! Perhaps if you glued some plasticine or a few small washers underneath his base, it could remedy his top heaviness - that looks like a lot of pewter on top of a little plastic!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice work! Love seeing conversions for this hobby.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the kind words guys. Please do keep commenting if you like what you see. It's a great help with motivation levels.

Here is one of my Battle Company Sgt's. He's been a bit annoying in his progression rolls. I've rolled him on Evil and Leadership as I wanted to give him a bit of character with those cool special rules. He seems determined to thwart these plans having rolled three sixes, which have given him three might and two will. Certainly useful, but not necessarily all that interesting.

The simple conversion was one of necessity as his original Finecast sword was bent beyond repair.

Next we have my poor handicapable goblin who was killed in his very first outing, not even earning a single point of experience. :sad: I suppose several Easterling kataphrakts and an angry cave troll will do that to most things.

The base model is pretty awkward to convert, so I'm not sure how I'll convert the third version of this pose. Still, I'm pretty happy how he turned out. Suggestions for conversions are welcome. The hook comes from spares from a Dark Eldar raider from 40k.

Apologies for the bad photos. I'm still working on my photo setup and could probably do with a second lamp.

I'm hoping to get a game or two of Battle Companies tomorrow evening, so I'll try to get a few photos.

C&C welcome as always.

Dallo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a quick post tonight.

Here's the goblin I've been working on for the past while.

Any ideas where I'm going with him?

He's still rough in places, but I think he's shaping up nicely.

That particular base model is quite awkward to base due to having very little flat foot to pin, so I tried to get as much base/foot contact as possible and then just super glued it without pinning as the feet really aren't in an easy pose to pin. Hopefully it'll stay together.

Given that some goblins come with rocks on the tab attached to their feet, I thought I'd use them to break up some of the bases and try to reduce the number of identical bases in the army. I'll probably mix in some of the Lake Town bases for a bit of variety.

C&C welcome.

Dallo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Told you this would be intermittent. :-D

This project has sat on the back burner as the Battle Companies campaign I was playing in petered out due to real life problems of several players.

However, I'm now heading down to an event at the end of September which requires two painted 600 point armies. As such, I've drafted up the following two lists. The first is 600 points of Thorin's company on Goblin Town bases, which should hopefully be reasonably quick to paint up (Quicker than 600 points of Goblins at any rate).

List one
Thorin with Orcrist
Fili
Kili
Dwalin
Balin
Oin
Gloin
Nori
Ori

I know this list isn't exactly 600 points and I could chop and change a few dwarves to reach the target, but I wanted to keep the dwarves in their "sets" as much as possible. I don't think it's got much competitive edge, but it's at least theme-y. Certainly no intent to source ponies for them, as while this may help win games, it kills some of the theme for me as they didn't have ponies in Goblin Town.

The second list is basically every model you can take for a pure Goblin Town list. From memory it's something along the lines of:

Goblin King
12 Goblins

Grinnah
12 Goblins

Gollum
8 Goblins

Goblin Captain
12 Goblins

Goblin Captain
12 Goblins

Mercenary Captain
12 Goblin Mercenaries

I've got to paint around one model per day to get this force ready in time. Remember that I'm not duplicating any models, so not only is this a lot of models to paint, I've got a large number of Goblins to convert too.

Is it a stupid plan? Certainly.
Can I do it? Why not come along for the ride and see?

For starters, here is my Thorin's company. Gloin will most likely get re-painted as it's not my paint job. If he's lucky, poor Kili might even get a replacement hand by September.

C&C very welcome.

Dallo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a quick heads up on your lists is that unfortunately Gollum cannot lead troops in a Goblin Town list as he is an independent hero.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Has that been FAQ'd? He's not as far as I am aware in the pdf doc.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is indicated by the little flag next to his name in his profile. It would have been nice to have him lead troops but I suppose it to represent him skulking around, picking off targets that look tasty.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

These conversions look great, Dallo! It is definitely inspiring to see what you can do with these minis, especially that banner! The bases look great too :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the kind words Kuribo. Comments like that really help motivating me. Just a quick update for now to show you that I'm enjoying the nice weather.

I've made a start on converting another sprue of Goblins.

At the minute, I'm just hacking off arms and dryfitting them to see what looks good.

Will hopefully show off a few more finished models soon. Got a couple of conversions planned that I'm particularly happy with.

I also pulled the trigger on a squad of goblin mercenaries, so expect so see them cropping up in conversions in a week or two.

Dallo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here are the "first drafts" of another eighteen conversions.

Please let me know if you want close ups of any (or all) of these guys.

As I said, these are the "first drafts" so are just held together with bluetack to get a feel for them. A few of them are waiting on weapon swaps.

C&C Welcome.

Dallo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all,

Got a few bits in the post today.

Looking forward to working with these.

Dallo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Awesome. I've got a box of goblin mercs to do next. Look forward to seeing your take on them.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk