All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Post subject: Scatter Terrain [Update 19/2: Trees]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LOTR SBG has been a fun hobby and part of my life for quite awhile now, and over the years it has always been a great joy seeing what other members of the community have made, built, and painted. There's always that thirst for more though! Always wishing that a member had posted just one more picture of their gorgeous terrain or newly painted army.

I figure now it's time to start giving back to the community as I haven't really posted much, despite always wishing that others would post more :wink:

So here I will be sharing my LOTR group's progress as we continue building and playing this great game. My goal is to post something here at least once a week, to help grow the hobby and give back to the members of this community who go out of their way to share their updates!

Last edited by Turgon_Seven on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Modular Scatter Terrain
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Setting the Scene

Our LOTR group is fortunate enough to be able to game on a 4'4' gaming table with an inset playing surface and box around the edges. It's perfect for rolling dice and keeping everything nicely contained (and safe from food and drink!) during play.

Here are some action shots of different board setups on the table. You can see that there is a long way to go in terms of getting things painted, built, and flocked, but this should give you a good idea of the current state of our group's table.

Post subject: Re: Modular Scatter Terrain [Pic Heavy]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice balance between terrain and play-ability. Your tall trees - just straws with lichen on top? Simple but effective.

Recently discovered this:

Kikkerland Biodegradable Paper Straws, Birch, Box of 144 for $10

Still experimenting with them myself - saw them and thought should be able to do something with them.

Post subject: Re: Modular Scatter Terrain [2/19 Update]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks Mapper; the tall trees are made from irrigation tubing with lichen on top yes. The eventual plan is to paper mache texture and trunks around the tubing to make them much more realistic. That's a good tip with the straws you found!

Modular Trees

For our group's gameplay taste, we wanted our scatter terrain trees to be based on large circular bases similar to the LOTR figures. We also wanted to be able to field a large amount of trees to make it feel like a dense forest on a whim. And so after picking up about $60 worth of model railroad trees, we were set to go!

A photo of some (not all) of the loose trees next to their bases.

I used a hot glue gun to attach the trees to 3" wooden circular bases.

Gluing sand onto the bases for texture.

Getting ready to paint the dirt.

We're getting close now!

Finally I used Woodland Scenics flocking and bushes to complete the forest undergrowth.

They turned out even better than I had imagined!

We're really happy with the end result - they are very sturdy (including a little flexible due to the hot glue, for when someone inevitably accidentally elbows them), look great on the table, and even obstruct line of sight underneath the trees which was a bonus goal I was shooting for.

All total we've made ~60 trees like this, with 30 more unfinished waiting for me to paint and flock them.