All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am

Post subject: The Iron Fleet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Few amidst the ruling families of Umbar can still trace their lineage directly back to the Numenoreans of old. Yet the Greyjoys were among them. Having sailed there with Ar-Pharazôn himself to challenge Sauron, they soon became drawn to the power of the Dark Lord.

For centuries, they have been raiding and pillaging the coastlines of Gondor until their name was dreaded and feared amongst all. Yet there is only one name that truly sends the shivers through any man’s spine: Asha Greyjoy, captain of the Black Wind.

While most women in Umbar were kept inside their homes, Asha had been sailing the seas for as long as she could remember. But then again, Asha was not like most women. From the day she commanded her first ship, she could best almost any man, whether it be at brawling, drinking or fighting.

Once her father grew too old and feeble, she took command of the finest among the Umbarian navy: the Iron Fleet. Unlike the common raiders, these were battle-hardened men, clad in heavy armor and fighting in disciplined formations. Where most kept to raiding villages, these men could take on Pelargir itself…

Hey guys, after having been away for years, I'm back and have finally started working on my Umbar army. Today I present to you the leader of these ruthless raiders: Asha Greyjoy, captain of the Black Wind and commander of the Iron Fleet.

Post subject: Re: The Iron Fleet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice backstory for your character and a very cool mini.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

robh wrote:
Nice backstory for your character and a very cool mini.

Thank you!

Next up are the Drowned Men...

After years at sea, some men not only come to sail it. They come to worship it. In the deep waters, they see the same darkness that had drawn their kinsmen to the Dark Lord. Whereas any other man fears the deep, the Drowned Men are drawn to it. 'For what is dead, may never die...'

As you can see, I finished my first six reavers today. There will be six more to come once I have managed to get my hands onto another two axes and four torches to arm them with.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking very nice. Is your first picture a converted Tauriel?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mapper wrote:
Looking very nice. Is your first picture a converted Tauriel?

Thank you! Yes it is. I removed the tree trunk, sculpted the coat she's wearing myself then did weapon swaps and repositioned her arms.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice job on the conversion, it looks quite natural.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hope you kept the trunk for other uses!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Feanorthenoldor wrote:
Nice job on the conversion, it looks quite natural.

Thank you!

Mapper wrote:
Hope you kept the trunk for other uses!

I believe I did. Though I am not planning on starting any other armies any time soon.

I just finished painting up the spearmen, which will be posted online once I receive my order from Perry Miniatures so I can start converting the Black Numenoreans.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Having finally received my boxes from Perry Miniatures, the work on my Greyjoy Raiders can now begin. Here are some pictures of my first test model. Please let me know what you think:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coming along fine. What is the spike on the shield, part of the design on the face of the shield?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mapper wrote:
Coming along fine. What is the spike on the shield, part of the design on the face of the shield?

Thank you! The spikes are part of the design, yes. I’m the end I wasn’t too happy with the torsos though, given that they’re both a little small and the waistbands didn’t get to the standard I want to set with this army. Instead, I just cut of the heads from the normal corsairs and stripped them from their hair, resulting in my first warband of Corsair Raiders:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice group of raiders! Like the color scheme you went with, not the usual colors that I usually see corsairs painted with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mapper wrote:
Nice group of raiders! Like the color scheme you went with, not the usual colors that I usually see corsairs painted with.

Thanks!

Next up are the arbalesters. I used the corsair archer models for them, stripped them of their quivers, added sabres to their belts, pavises to their backs and most importantly swapped their arms with the mercenary crossbowmen from Perry Miniatures: