All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Post subject: How to build a Space Wolves army?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello everyone

I've been eyeing W40K for a while and want to get started. I have the Codex and want to make an army but i'm not too sure how. I don't want something competitive more just an army with minis I think look nice. From what I understand for most standard missions your army must have 1 HQ 2 Troops, but what i'm confused about is do each squad need some sort of leader or HQ to lead them? E.g. Does a Blood Claws or Grey Hunters Pack need a HQ leading them? Here's a sample of an army from what I understand:

HQ: Canis Wolfborn
Elites: Wolf Guard Pack (composition: 5 Wolf Guard)
Troops: Grey Hunters Pack (composition: 10 Grey Hunters) Blood Claws Pack (composition: 10 Blood Claws)
Fast Attack: Thunderwolf Cavalry (composition: 5 Thunderwolf Cavalry) Skyclaw Assault Pack (composition: 5 Skyclaws)

Is this list legal? Also can I add more HQ like Logan Grimnar and Bjorn The Fell Handed? What is the limit to how many HQ you can take. I'm not focusing on war gear right now I just want to be able to get the composition of the army right or at least legal.

Sorry if in the wrong topic, didn't know where else to put it.
 Post subject: Re: How to build a Space Wolves army?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That list is legal. Squads do not need to be led by a HQ character. In a regular game of 40K, it's up to 2 HQ, up to 3 Elites, up to 3 Fast Attacks, up to 3 Heavy Support, and 2+ Troops. Space Wolves have a special army rule allowing you to take up to twice as many HQ choices too.

I do Space Wolves myself, and thoroughly recommend starting off with a core force of two squads of Grey Hunters, and getting in a squad of Long Fangs too. I would definitely suggest, once you've made your squads, use some of the many leftover pieces and a sprue of regular Space Marines to convert yourself a squad of Wolf Guard in regular armour, or a Lone Wolf. Mix the pieces from the Wolves sprues with the pieces from Marines sprues, so your army will all look like they are true Wolves, rather than some of mine, which are basically Marines with Space Wolf heads/weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So on most armies I can have two HQ but for Space Wolves I can have up to 4 HQs?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, it's a pretty neat bonus for playing as them.