All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:13 pm

Post subject: 28mm Impetvs demo report
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi guys,

I've been playing quite a bit of Impetvs, an 'Ancients' (thats everything from Chariot wars - Renaissance) mass-battle ruleset, recently.

Since the numbers for WOTR weren't forthcoming - a few of us did a demo of this in 28mm at our national wargames convention instead, and I've put the report up here:

http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/04/n ... -demo.html

I find this system is a good blend of quick, fun play + balanced points-build armies, bought from army lists (so good for 'pick up' games and events). There is even a LOTR mod, though I personally feel WOTR does this better.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: 28mm Impetvs demo report
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Interesting report, thanks for sharing. I have played only once in a demo game any historical games, but would certainly like to try them more.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Where do you get the Roman models, and what scale? I'm quite interested in expanding out from lotr things.

Cheers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Pasi, cheers. It is an incredibly good time to be an ancients gamer. There are so many good plastics ranges now.

@i Drumstick, they are '28mm', which is a very broad label. The Romans are properly short, while the Celtic Auxilia are tall and burly.

The vast majority of both of our armies are Warlord Games (one of the founders is former GW) plastics. These are very cheap, very paintable, and easy to put together. I think they did great work on their Rome + Enemies range, and the plastics are backed with a good range of metals for characters models, which are getting better and better. That company does a tie-in with the 'Hail Caesar' rules set (the rules writer is also former GW) and so all their stuff is getting re-branded for that. While their plastics are cheap, buying metal character models is addictive, I have Russell Crowe coming in the mail, in both foot and mounted versions...

The other range used in my army is Armorum and Aquila, for the Sarmatian Cataphracts. That cavalry wing cost me more money than the value of the rest of the Roman force on the table.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They look like great models, I've bought a pack of legionnaires and if I like them I'll get some more! :D