All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 am

Post subject: The fall of Gondolin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been working on an RPG for sometime now it is completely based on the fall of Gondolin. I am currently rereading the Unfinished tales, The Silarillian and the children of Hurin and some other Tolkien sources to make sure my background is correct and the story paths you can play out in the RPG does not ruin the story. I've almost completed the rules section and I am currently working on the Servants of Morgoth guide witch details the monsters and other servants Morgoth recruited to bring his war upon the north. I am going to upload it as a PDF online when I finally complete it; I wanted to create this thread to see your ideas and to get some people that maybe interested in play testing it and giving me feed back on how the game works. So POST HERE if you have any ideas on what an RPG like this should contain and also post here if you would like to start play testing it. The first book will be released on the 15th of March for play testers only anyone that has not posted their interest in play testing by the 10th of march will not be able to play test.

All updates and feedback should be posted in this thread.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: The fall of Gondolin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well you caught my attention, I liked the story of the Fall of Gondolin. I'm sure you've included a profile of the elf villain Maeglin I think his name was. Just how exactly you expect us to play test your game? I presume with our own local group of friends.

Right now I'm play testing an rpg game I've made with my friends that has been in development for years due to me being inactive on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Well you caught my attention, I liked the story of the Fall of Gondolin. I'm sure you've included a profile of the elf villain Maeglin I think his name was. Just how exactly you expect us to play test your game? I presume with our own local group of friends.

Right now I'm play testing an rpg game I've made with my friends that has been in development for years due to me being inactive on it.

Yeah just play test it with your friends that's what I will be doing when the time comes you will need to give me your email so I can send you the PDF.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can you give me a brief summary/explanation on how your game plays before I agree to this, without giving out full in depth details of your rules? Is this an rpg like D&D where everything is meticulous and you make up your own backstory, etc. ? Or you just choose already existing characters each with their own unique capabilities? Is it board or table-top, miniatures used? If boardgame: move around by square-inches, hexagons, or designated spaces? What is the closest game you would compare yours to: GW's SBG, D&D, Talisman, WOTR boardgame, Descent, Game of Thrones, etc.?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Can you give me a brief summary/explanation on how your game plays before I agree to this, without giving out full in depth details of your rules? Is this an rpg like D&D where everything is meticulous and you make up your own backstory, etc. ? Or you just choose already existing characters each with their own unique capabilities? Is it board or table-top, miniatures used? If boardgame: move around by square-inches, hexagons, or designated spaces? What is the closest game you would compare yours to: GW's SBG, D&D, Talisman, WOTR boardgame, Descent, Game of Thrones, etc.?

The RPG is very close to a table top war game and D6 will be the only type of dice you need. As far as the story goes your group is made up of either men loyal to the grey elves or the grey elves themselves your homes have been destroyed and you are searching for the hidden city of Gondolin. The game is really what you make it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It caught strongly my attention, I would like to testplay it whenether I have free time 8)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I love the evil army in the Fall of Gondolin, a horde of Orcs, with Wargs and Trolls, Dragons, commanded by Balrogs (with their Lord Gothmog) and helped by an evil Elf.

Wonderful stuff, nice to see people care about this battle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I love the evil army in the Fall of Gondolin, a horde of Orcs, with Wargs and Trolls, Dragons, commanded by Balrogs (with their Lord Gothmog) and helped by an evil Elf.

I love everything LOTR I have read all of Tolkiens published material on the LOTR.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Firewolf wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:

I love everything LOTR I have read all of Tolkiens published material on the LOTR.

I'm with you on the first part. but I still have to read the History of Middle-Earth. Working on that now though :D .

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

We're back into it.

Last edited by Firewolf on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Firewolf wrote:
After a few technical issues and problems with cowriter's we've finally picked up the ball and writing has commenced again. I intend to keep everyone interested fully updated although we probably will not have any play testable rules out until July. I'd like to make a short announcement, personal and technical issues being some of the reasons we fell behind we've also pushed back the date because we're adding some key rules changes. We're rewriting all the profiles and writing a conversion chart so that you may use these profiles in the SBG table top war game. As you can imagine figuring out how to translate the profiles the they remain true to the RPG and the core SBG rules is a pain but we're getting there. Just a to give you small teaser of what you can expect we've got 30 different evil commanders and fighters some never seen before in a table top war game but still hold true to Tolkien's Middle Earth. We're working on some concept art that'll hopefully be realised for your viewing pleasure soon. I'll post some links soon, overall things have kicked into over drive and we're looking at getting something to people interested by July. As far as story lines go you've got too paths you can choose, first you could choose the path of the loyal witch includes finding the city of Gondolin and eventually participating in the last stand of the city and it's people. The other path you may choose the the path of the traitor where your party is a group of traitors sent by Maglin to reveal the location of the hidden city to Morgoth. You will not be limited by the story written by Tolkien as a party that has chosen the path of the loyal may be able to achieve victory over Morgoth's hordes and a party that's chosen the path of the traitor may fail to capture Gondolin

Cheers,

I forgot to mention the conversion chart will allow you to convert your characters profile so that you may use your character in the SBG table top war game, so you can do some cool conversions.