All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Post subject: Warmachine/Hordes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I could probably find what I'm looking for somewhere in here, but I really don't want to look. SO my question is: Is Warmachine a game that's worth getting into? I was at a gaming conference over the weekend and got a quick start guide for free, so I was wondering about it. What is that standard size game? What is the standard point cost/how many models are in a standard army? I'll have more later, but thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Warmachine/Hordes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Maybe I should just ask what people's thought on this game are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
Is Warmachine a game that's worth getting into?

Definitely. So many different combinations of army style can be made from each faction. It's great if you like an aggressive play style game as well. Not to mention the fact that the models look awesome and any army from the game can be used against Hordes armies as well (and vice versa).

Draugluin wrote:
What is that standard size game?

Anywhere between 15-35 points would be considered standard size games I guess. Much higher point games can also be played though.

Draugluin wrote:
What is the standard point cost/how many models are in a standard army?

Casters are usually around 5 points each, some slightly higher, some lower. Units and Jacks can vary a lot though depending on what they are and what they are capable of though. If you browse this website it will give you a decent idea of how the points work in Warmachine and Hordes (it's not quite up to date, but it will still give you an idea) - http://www.engineeringcalculator.net/Gizmo/Gizmo.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Are all of the starter battlegroups on the website roughly the same point cost? Are they a good way to get started and are they a good deal? The trollbloods seem to be a bit weaker than the other starter sets due to their lack of a heavy warbeast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The battlegroups are all around 11 points each and are a good deal as with any starter sets from GW. They're a great way to get started if you and a friend or two each get one. Don't worry about the Trollbloods lack of heavy warbeast though, they're the army I've recently started getting into for Hordes and they're tough enough. Plus their light warbeasts are generally larger than some of the light warbeasts from other factions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ok, are their point costs on their cards? The quickstart rules have their cards, and I assuming that the little thing at the bottom that says PC is point cost. I can't see anything that looks like point cost for the warcasters/warlocks.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I played a game against a friend using the quikstart rules and LotR proxy models. The game was fun, but since neither of us knew what we were doing, it took a while. I used Trolls, he used the Circle. The Impalers are pretty amazing, when the get criticals, and the Axer's Thresher attack is incredible. I ended up winning the game with only Madrak and an Impaler left, but I looked at the rules and I think I cheated by exceding the Impaler's Rate of Fire. I forced him 3 times to throw 4 times, which flung the warpwolf quite a ways, nearly killed him, killed an Argus and half killed his Warlock. Madrak finished her off with 2 attacks from his weapon. The outcome would have been the same if I had started attacking her first, but I technically did cheat. Oh well, it was fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've played a lot of Warmachine/Hordes - it's been my main game for the last 4 years or so. The factions are very very well balanced and the rules clearly written; it's an ideal tournament style game. You can also play casually too, of course. It's a lot of fun.

While the basic rules are pretty easy to learn, player skill matters a lot, since it helps you win to have a working knowledge of both your own and your opponent's sneaky tricks.

Re: your question about point costs: PC on the bottom of each card is Point Cost. Warcasters are free, but each warcaster has a +number (usually around +5 or +6) in warjack points, which adds to the army's total, but must be taken in warjacks. So for a 25pt game where you're using a +6 warcaster, you can actually take 31 points of models, as long as at least 6 points are in warjacks.

FA as written on the cards is Field Allowance: the maximum number of that model you can field, which might be 2 or 3 or unlimited or character (unique).

A good place to learn what your models do is Battlecollege (http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/). Enjoy!