All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Post subject: I made a game up
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I've developed a set of rules for using my Aerosan models. (An "Aerosan" is a propellor-driven sled used by Soviet forces during the Winter War against Finland and the Second World War)

Company B (http://www.companyb.biz) produce a cute model of this craft in 28mm scale and I found it irresistible - so I ended up with six of them. :oops: They also make an impressive array of armoured trains, so it seemed logical to put the two together. Hence my game...

Plains, Trains, and Aerosans.

Essentially, the game is for two to 6 players, each in control of a single aerosan. The train is a static piece down the centre of the table and players move their aerosans alongside of it shooting at the carriages and engine trying to damage (and earn tokens) enough to make it stop. But the train is shooting back, and the terrain is rushing by you as you manoeuvre around it to get a clear shot at the train. And of course the other players want to win the most tokens too (or stop you from doing so).

I have made a PDF of the rules that you can download, if anyone is interested in having a look, and there is a file with movement cards and tokens in it to print out and cut up for use in the game too.

Aerosan Rules (430Kb) : http://www.one-ring.co.uk/download/aerosans_rules_v1.0.pdf
Movement Cards (570Kb) : http://www.one-ring.co.uk/download/movement_cards_v2.3.pdf

I will be demonstrating the game this Sunday at Little Wars in Melbourne if anyone is interested in playing (and buying me beer) - website details: www.littlewarsmelbourne.com

Post subject: Re: I made a game up
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome Dagorlad, cool terrain. Those Aerosans are very appealing as well! I'm glad you were able to justify your purchases by making a game, haha man, those Aerosans are not cheap! Did Company B endorse/adopt the game? I saw their logo on the rules. I hope your demo goes well man! :)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Bruce Meyer from Company B knows I am doing this and has shown interest in the rules. I haven't sent them through to him in a finished state yet because I'm sure there will be issues arising out of running the game on the day and I want to fix that sort of thing up before they're published officially. Hopefully, he'll make them available on his website afterwards, but if not then I will put them on my blog as a free download.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very nice!

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, the day has come and gone and a good time was had by all who played. Unfortunately the game wasn't as popular as I'd hoped and I was standing around scouting for players for much of the day. Ho hum.

It just meant more time for drinking nice German beer and buying more plastic and metal I won't paint for ages.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Too bad it wasn't very popular...But did the people who did play it enjoy it? No glaring rules changes you need to make?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, they all seemed to enjoy themselves and the rules stood up ok. I had to change the number of action cards players got to use in order to stop them from falling too far behind each turn, but aside from that it worked pretty much as intended.