All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm

Post subject: Any D&D 4e players?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I started getting into 4th edition recently, i usually just play advanced dungeons and dragons but oh man, 4th edition is so lovely and simple. Anyone know of any decent campaigns/adventures/quests i can find on the net? I'm really interested in getting the Eberron campaign book, as it looks pretty groovalicious. I've thought about running a game in middle earth because it's more familiar to the players, less explanation about the world required etc, although i reckon setting it in skyrim would probably work better- thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Any D&D 4e players?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Masters-Kit-Essential-Dungeons/dp/0786956305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345219039&sr=8-1&keywords=essential+dungeon+master+guide

It's technically essentials which is exactly like 4.0 except more balanced (read better)
I played for my first time ever last weekend. It was me as a DM and two friends. We had barely any rule issues.

Included in the DM kit:
Big DM book.
2 quest books thingys (should last about 5 or 6 sessions!)
A ton of little tokens you can use to represent players or monstes
Two battlemats for use in the campaign as well as in your own adventures.
A nice DM screen (has all the tables you'll ever need to play.)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find that pathfinder is much better then 4th, just to say
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I used to play Second Edition, but that was a long time ago. I kinda miss the adventuring quest sorta thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah i am actually playing a campain pf 2nd, 3.5 and pathfinder and i like all three of them more then 4th,

4th edition is just waaay to much like an animated japanese game or more like world of warcraft with the at will powers and whatnot.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I hate it when people say things like that! It's completely false. In what way does adding a powers make a game "waaay too much like World of Warcraft?" That's like if you said making a board game with money in it causes it to be "waaay to much like Monopoly." The game isn't there for the combat, it's there for the Role Playing. The combat just helps advance the story.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The reason why i say it is like WOW is that the bases of combat in that game is special attacks that you use and they either penitalize the enemy of benifit you then they have differnet reuse times. Which is just like the at will, encounter and day powers.

Then it seems to have taken a step away from the adventuring aspect in the fact that the skills have been cut down dramaticaly.

But i also think that the company is doing this on purpose to make it a very easy to learn more combat based game similar to WOW so that WOW and other online combat rpg gamers will play dnd and thus improve their profits.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't think having one similar mechanic makes it waaaay to much like another thing.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just find that the focus of the game has shifted into a more combat based, and that the whole game has even been dumbed down, but thats my personal opinion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, in 2nd edition playing as a warrior was boring as he'll when it came to combat, all you could do was a standard attack, in 4th edition a warrior type has so many more options that make the game more cinematic. Comparing it to wow is silly; wow (and all fantasy rpg games) were spawned from dnd anyway. I think wizards have done a good job at updating their game to fit a modern audience, the combat is fast paced, and the role-playing is more restricted by character skills, which create more solid characters that are not omnipotent super beings.

I don't see how a solid, enjoyable, combat system takes away from the role playing elements. If anything it adds to the rpg aspects, the players are more involved in the combat encounters and actually enjoy them, meaning that they are more immersed and thus more able to focus on a complex plot.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well i find that if u find being a warrior in 2nd was boring then you were playing it wrong, or had a lousy dm, i am currently in a 2nd edition campain as a warrior and i never get tired of combat nor roleplaying. If you have a developed charater personality you can reflect that in combat and add twists and turns, combat isnt just hacking the enermy to death.

Also if you have a character that is an omnipotent super being then its you that is creating them.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I have all of the core rulebooks for every edition back to the first, but sadly all of my friends grew up (and I didn't) and I can't find anyone to play with anymore. There are tons of resources online for D&D, just Google "dungeons and dragons adventures" and you'll get over 6 million hits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I also interested to play the 4th edition and experience its game play and doing its quests and missions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've just rediscovered D&D after an absence of 30 years. I'm thinking of developing a 4th Edn campaign set in Middle-earth, and converting the races and monsters to fit this world.