All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Bolt Action WWII Skirmish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Warlord Games and Osprey Publishing have co-opted Alessio Cavatore and Rick Priestly into producing a new ruleset for playing 28mm World War II games. It is officially scheduled for release on the 20th of September, but I have managed to score myself a copy of the book well in advance - bow down in my presence!

As a WWII tragic, I was looking forward to this release with eager anticipation. And it does not disappoint! The production values are of the highest order - it is a solid 220 pages long with very little fluff in it. Beautifully illustrated throughout with typical Osprey style and full colour shots of Warlord's magnificent range of WWII vehicles and figures, the book is a visual feast.

I should stress that I have only read the rules (having had them for a total of 5 days so far), and have not yet played them. But here are my initial thoughts.

Around 100 pages of rules and the rest is given over to army lists for late war Soviet, German, American and British Commonwealth armies, there is enough complexity to keep the die hard grognards happy, while still retaining a fairly simple game design that will be recognisable to many LOTR and WH40K players - it offers little that is new or innovative, in terms of game mechanics. But that doesn't mean it won't be very playable.

It appears to be aimed at mainstream wargamers (i.e. the GW crowd) by providing for points matches, generic scenarios and fixed turn game lengths - ideal for tournaments and campaigns - but there is enough meat in it to enable historical gamers to design their own scenarios in order to recreate real-world battles.

The army lists and weapon descriptions are very specific to June 1944 onwards, but I expect there will be supplements to cover other stages of the war (North Africa please) and other combatants (Japan and Italy are conspicuously missing). Obviously there are practical limitations to the amount of pages they can produce in one book, and (for many gamers) the war only got interesting once Normandy got under way and the Russians went on the offensive.

But the cynic in me can't help thinking that it's tied to Warlord's model range.

I hope to play a game or two over the next few weeks and will post an after action report. I am looking forward to it - the book is very slick and the rules seem to be well thought out and give players some chance to apply period tactical doctrine to their game.

Post subject: Re: Bolt Action WWII Skirmish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, I have always found North Africa to be a very interesting part of the war - the British, Australian and NZ troops holding their own against Rommel's Afrika Korp and the Italians. But also the Vichy French and the British-Iraqi war. And I love the quirky armour of the early war period too - PzKpf I and II, Vickers tanks, and French Char and Renault tanks.

These will no doubt be explored in future releases.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was told the books were on sale at GenCon last weekend. I pre-ordered mine several weeks ago and I am eagerly waiting for my rule book to arrive with the free casualty figure.
Yes, Warlord has an excellent range of 28mm WWII metal and plastic figures. My group plays Operation Squad and we hope to get into Bolt Action later.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Love that casualty figure! But unfortunately my copy of the rulebook didn't come with it :sad:

I have dug out my British Airborne (from Warlord's Bolt Action range) again and will make a fresh start on getting them all painted. I need some Panzergrenadiers to oppose them though (proxying with Uruk Hai just doesn't quite look right).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dagorlad wrote:
Love that casualty figure! But unfortunately my copy of the rulebook didn't come with it :sad:

I have dug out my British Airborne (from Warlord's Bolt Action range) again and will make a fresh start on getting them all painted. I need some Panzergrenadiers to oppose them though (proxying with Uruk Hai just doesn't quite look right).

I think British Airborne versus Uruk Hai would be awesome! What ruleset do you use with your WWII figures currently?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I use "Disposable Heroes and Coffins for Seven Brothers" from Iron Ivan Games. I tried getting into Rules of Engagement but it was just too much work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds interesting. I'm in the middle of writing our own WW2 rules with a friend so some inspiration could come from this.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dagorlad wrote:
I use "Disposable Heroes and Coffins for Seven Brothers" from Iron Ivan Games. I tried getting into Rules of Engagement but it was just too much work.

I have not played "Disposable Heroes and Coffins for Seven Brothers". I will have to give it a try.

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Sounds interesting. I'm in the middle of writing our own WW2 rules with a friend so some inspiration could come from this.

I have a request in regards to rulesets. Please limit status marker usage... they clutter the battle field and slow the game pace. I look forward to being able to play your published rules someday.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Callan wrote:
Please limit status marker usage... they clutter the battle field and slow the game pace. I look forward to being able to play your published rules someday.

Well, you may not like Bolt Action then. Each time a unit is fired upon, it receives one or more 'Pinned' markers, which are placed next to the unit or vehicle. Also, a die is placed next to each unit as it performs an action to indicate the order that has been issued to it. The table ends up looking a bit cluttered.

I should explain the idea behind the "order dice."

There are six different actions a unit can perform each turn - Shoot, Advance, Run, Ambush, Rally, and Down. Warlord Games are producing a set of dice that have these orders printed on them, or you can use normal dice. Each unit on the table has one order die allocated to it. The colour of the die indicates which side it's on - say, green for Allies and grey for Axis forces. Initiative is determined by blindly picking a die from a cup and handing it to the appropriate player. That player then selects one of his units that hasn't been activated yet and puts the die next to it, with the selected order face up. That unit then performs the action and the next dice is selected.

It means that a mid-sized game with, say, 7 units per side would have up to 14 dice sitting on the table each turn and a any number of pinned markers.

I'm planning on making a number of pinned markers using steel wool as smoke plumes on a 25mm base, so at least they'll be themed and will fit in on the battlefield.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sounds like "Operation Squad". Dagorlad, "Operation Squad" that I currently play uses status markers heavily and at times, it can get on my nerves because it clutters the battle field. I continue to play the game because it is extremely fun. I have been meaning to make my own markers that are more themetic, but have not gotten around to it. Besides LOTR and WWII, I am also into multitudes of other historical wargaming periods. Yeh, yeh, excuses... excuses.

Thanks for reminding me about the themed markers.

You have to write up your first Bolt Action game now that you have me all excited about the new system. Please! I have to wait for my book still. :sad: Sucks to be living in the U.S. when it comes to miniature wargaming.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't like the use of Status Markers so I made markers that would blend into the battlefield. For an example:

Overheat = White smoke
Blown Up = Black Smoke
Turn Finished = A ripped up flag of that country
Tank Cannot Move = Broken tank tracks
Cannot Move = A blown up leg
Cannot Shoot = A severed arm carrying a gun

This way it only makes the battlefield more interesting rather than clutter it. I also tend to not role dice on the board itself as it "shatters" the illusion.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
... Cannot Move = A blown up leg Cannot Shoot = A severed arm carrying a gun

8) Excellent idea Sticky Fingersss.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Carnage on Sticky Fingersss' game table! Great (albeit gory) ideas for status markers - so, where are the pictures? We wantss pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sticky Fingerssss, how large did you make your markers? Can you please post pictures? I will try to post my markers as well once they are completed. Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's on a coin which are slightly smaller than the usual infantry bases. I'll try get some pictures up when my camera is sorted out!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have completed 1 box of Screaming Eagles, 1 box of Fallschirmjager and 1 box of Waffen SS. Now onto the Red Devils, Rangers, vehicles and status markers. 20 more days!!! :-X
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No, I have not been neglecting my SBG duties. I completed 1 warband of Morgul Knights, 1 warband of Black Numenoreans, and 3 trolls a week ago. I have been itching to try them out. Soon my precious!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

And the photos are coming I hope Callan. Maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dagorlad wrote:
And the photos are coming I hope Callan. Maybe?

I am so old school when it comes to technology. I have to figure out how to post pictures at this site first. Just remember that I paint to play when you see my work in the future.

Have you manage to enjoy a Bolt Action game yet Dagorlad? I am still waiting for my book. :sad:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No pictures yet... I did get an account at photobucket. I will have some time this weekend to take pictures and will post them the following week.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next