All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

Post subject: Dreadball from Mantic Games
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is into the final 6 days of the Kickstarter campaign. Loads of information available and some tasty rules and great looking concept minis.

Have a nosey around - you might want to join in! The retail versions of season 1 will be out before Christmas 2012.

Links: Mantic, Kickstarter and Quirkworthy (Jake Thornton, designer of Dreadball among many other things) and Dreadball homepage. Jake's blog has many interesting thoughts and musings on games design among other things, well worth a read.

http://www.manticgames.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/174 ... ports-game
http://quirkworthy.com/
http://www.dreadball.com/

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject: Re: Dreadball from Mantic Games
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Kickstarter finished on a very high note - $728985 raised (it was more actually as some people use Paypal). Loads and loads of minis, arenas and variants... makes a change from wargames. I will be getting my rewards in 3 batches (maybe 4). other manufacturers could learn from the success Mantic has had in LISTENING to customers. Studio Mcvey did a similar thing with Sedition Wars and it was a riproaring success also - more stuff coming to me in 2 or 3 batches.
All the money I pledged to these 2 Kickstarter projects could have been spent on LotR or WH40K (or both), but with GW's current looney pricing, that is not going to happen. I will look at The Hobbit minis, but I will only buy the minimum selection - characters mostly, and all from discount stores. GW's loss, self inflicted.
I and many other of the Kickstarter pledgers are looking forward to Mantic's next effort, sometime in 2013: Warpath expansion. Ronnie and co listen to the opinions on the Mantic forums, they reach out to Beasts of War and other gaming sites and take account of what people like and dislike. You cannot please all of the people all of the time, but full credit to Mantic for making the best efforts possible to do so AND explaining where and why some things cannot be done, or have to wait for a while (usually as Ronnie and his hencemen have something else up their sleeves). I monitored and enjoyed the kings of war kickstarter even though LotR is the only fantasy game I am interested in.

Enough of my ramblings.

More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mantic and Beasts of War were pushing Dreadball extremely heavily. I got loads of email alerts from both regarding the Dreadball's Kickstarter campaign. On the same subject, I find it fascinating just how many miniature companies have been using Kickstarter recently, to great success. For my part, I have not yet been tempted enough to pledge my money to a Kickstarter campaign yet. To be completely honest, I just couldn't find myself interested in overall concept of Dreadball. This is clearly Mantic's sci-fi answer to Blood Bowl, but I'm not very forgiving with the concept of a science-fiction sport and I've never been a big fan of Mantic's aesthetics. I also highly doubt it would receive much play time. Regardless, it was obviously a great success and I do like Mantic's mantra as a company. The wacky, in-house parody of Blood Bowl has always been tempting, as I do quite like the Warhammer universe and the game is often hailed as massive fun--though I tried the PC game and finally found myself under-enthused.

Hope you enjoy your rewards!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Jamros: what are your thoughts on Sedition Wars?

More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
@Jamros: what are your thoughts on Sedition Wars?

To be honest, they're about the same as my feelings about Dreadball in that I'm pretty indifferent about Sedition Wars. Something about it visually just doesn't appeal to me, both in the style of the artwork and typography, and the paint jobs of the miniatures. Many of the miniatures look pretty decent, but I just don't like the overall look when paint has been applied. The background seems pretty interesting, and while I've not read much about the rules, what I have seen looks good. Overall, though, I'm just not interested. I'm really not much of a science-fiction or fantasy guy, I find it hard to get invested in either genre. I could probably easily name just about all of the franchises that I like from either category.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I view Sedition Wars and Dreadball as smaller scale alternatives to tabletop wargames that could be played with non-gamers and each game should take less time. I like that option, just as, when I am in the mood, I play much longer and larger wargames. You may not remember Titan legions and Space Marine - GW 6mm scale massed 40K universe games. I staged one that lasted 3 days... and there were others that took 9 or 10 hours to play. I think there was one game with 30000 points per side, maybe more. My Titan Legions basically blasted and trampled everything in their path, losing a few along the way but I had built some extremely shooty variants.

More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I was very tempted, but after Zombicide, Sedition Wars and the Reaper Bones campaign I really have to stop buying miniatures for the next two years (longer would be better of course...).

Kickstarter has cost me way too much over the past few months and every month a new interesting one starts with tasty miniatures. I had to miss more attractive ones aswell... A pity, but I can never find the time to paint them anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
I view Sedition Wars and Dreadball as smaller scale alternatives to tabletop wargames that could be played with non-gamers and each game should take less time. I like that option, just as, when I am in the mood, I play much longer and larger wargames. You may not remember Titan legions and Space Marine - GW 6mm scale massed 40K universe games. I staged one that lasted 3 days... and there were others that took 9 or 10 hours to play. I think there was one game with 30000 points per side, maybe more. My Titan Legions basically blasted and trampled everything in their path, losing a few along the way but I had built some extremely shooty variants.

They're smaller games, definitely, but, thinking of my own friends, they would both hold little to no appeal to someone who was not already a wargamer or the like. They are both excellent to add variety to the games a wargamer already plays but I really don't think many, if any, of my friends who are not already interested in miniatures would be interested in either Dreadball or Sedition Wars. On the one hand, I've got Warhammer Ancient Battles, but on the other end of spectrum I've played Carcassonne, and Munchkin as the closest relatives to mini wargaming. These games don't really seem to have the power to bridge that gap--and again, I just can't seem to find them interesting largely due to aesthetics.

I've heard of Space Marine, but it was before my time. I believe the current iteration is Epic 40,000, no?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I call the version post 1997 'Not so Epic' as it is little more than WH40K skirmishing on a tiny board, instead of armies, yes ARMIES trashing a planet.

More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Got the survey from Kickstarter - an awful lot of stuff coming my way. Pages and pages of choices. I have to say about Mantic - they listen to the punters and respond with surprising speed.

More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

And the first installment of stuff arrived today. This is the first Mantic castings I have seen in the flesh and I am impressed. Clean, where they are multi-part the parts have unique joints/bevels/sockets so glueing the correct parts in their respective slots should be easy. The acrylic board looks great - it has that glossy appearance that I associate with parts of the interior of the Death Star.

More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

And Dreadball Season 3 and Extreme is coming...
Scroll down and look at the 6 team match!
http://quirkworthy.com/

More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just when I hoped my wallet was safe... mantic are unleashing more Dreadball and this time it is the really nasty version... Jake Thornton posted this playtesting image on his Quirkworthy blog
http://quirkworthy.files.wordpress.com/ ... oto-91.jpg

More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm about to purchase the starter and season 2 and the female corporation team (my wife is excited to play them). Really excited to start Dreadball and then Deadzone. Mantic is my new favorite company

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My favourite company is female and French :)

More to come!