All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

Post subject: SOIAF models
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've been thinking what'd be the best way to make models for Song of Fire and Ice armies. Lannister guards seem pretty easy, just give minas tirith warriors an uruk hai head and add a cloak. but what about the others? And does anyone have some pictures of the warriors of different houses?

Post subject: Re: SOIAF models
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wildlings could be men of Dunland or corsairs? Haradhrim for those desert people of pentos. Maybe Rohirrim for the northeners such as house stark. You could add fur to their cloaks for example...
Just be creative :D
Maybe this helps as well: http://www.moddb.com/mods/westeros-total-war

EDIT: Just found this site. Great collection of armor pics! http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... es.226810/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Darksword Miniatures have a licensed range of SOIAF miniatures, based on the books.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

mastermanje wrote:
I've been thinking what'd be the best way to make models for Song of Fire and Ice armies. Lannister guards seem pretty easy, just give minas tirith warriors an uruk hai head and add a cloak. but what about the others? And does anyone have some pictures of the warriors of different houses?

That would be very expensive. Why not War of the Roses Figures. The Perry's make some nice plastic figures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Wrong forum...topic moved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh I don't think it would be too costly - you could definitely still use the uruk-hai bodies if you just found some replacement heads (Hasselfree sells a sprue of orc heads that would probably work just fine). You might even find a use for those Minas Tirith heads if you wanted to do some fiefdom conversions using different bodies.

Alternatively, you could use Wargames Factory samurai bodies, not sure where you'd get appropriate heads and arms, though (unless once again using uruk heads, and I'm sure you could source arms from somewhere else).

For Starks, I think Fireforge foot sergeants are probably the way to go, although you might want heads from the Perry WotR sets for those rounded helmets.

For Stannis's troops, these might make good helmets: Spanish Cavalry Desert Rider Heads

The helmets on Renly's troops remind me of a particular style of hoplite helmet, the name of which I can't recall. The first helmet on the left in this image is pretty close, though. That's a victrix set, and I know the Immortal Classical Hoplites set (now sold by Warlord) has at least a few of said helmet as well. Certainly not economical unless you want the hoplites anyways, but you could ask around and see if people have any spares. Or, maybe you have a friend who's interested in building a hoplite army, and you can just nab the heads off of him?

For both Baratheon factions, the armor looks pretty generic although you might have to greenstuff some cloaks on. You'd also have to add the stag antlers to Renly's troops' helmets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not figures, but if you want to check out some rules, see the files on our clubs FB page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/medwayws/
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Depends

If you want it by the book, look no further then Perry's War of the Roses range, Gripping Beast vikings for the Ironborn and Perry crusades (or if you can find them, spanish Reconquista knights and warriors) for Martell.

If you want it by the series, you are looking forward to a LOT of converting
I never found anything remotely Stark-ish. The Perry set has a few heads with Stark helmets, but no bodies and no shields.
For Lannisters, I'd suggest Warlord Samurai with the helmets greenstuffed into Lannister helmets and straight swords added.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for all the quick reactions, they realy do help me a lot.

As I realy like what's written about it in the books, I'm going to build Storm's End. So, what do you guys think it should look like? From the research I've done the castle seems to be build on a cliff, so it's only attackable from one side, and mainly consists of a couple of robust towers. But in which style should I build it? The stormy sea suggests it should be quite robust and functional, like Winterfell, but the fact it's built in the middle to south of Westeros suggests it shouldn't only be functional, but also look glamorous.
So, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

mastermanje wrote:
Thanks for all the quick reactions, they realy do help me a lot.

As I realy like what's written about it in the books, I'm going to build Storm's End. So, what do you guys think it should look like? From the research I've done the castle seems to be build on a cliff, so it's only attackable from one side, and mainly consists of a couple of robust towers. But in which style should I build it? The stormy sea suggests it should be quite robust and functional, like Winterfell, but the fact it's built in the middle to south of Westeros suggests it shouldn't only be functional, but also look glamorous.
So, what do you guys think?

The map shows a a double round tower with a high peaked roof surrounded by a round curtain wall. There are no flanking towers for the gate. It looks rather Plain. That may be because of the scale of the drawing. I had to use a magnifier to make out the small details. It is hard to tell if it is a large round keep with a round stair tower or two towers together. Only the keep has a peaked roof. The Keep is not much taller than the curtain wall. The Keep is on the cliff side almost or against the curtain wall. Check the description to confirm that there are no flanking towers for the gate. They may be obscured.

This drawing does not Have a 80 foot thick curtain wall or a peaked roof.
http://www.speakingimage.org/wikis/west ... storms-end
There is no curtain wall in this drawing
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Storm%27s_End
Best link But my reference does not show towers in the curtain wall.
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/ ... 5vzr4f.jpg
I hope this is some help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I found a Historical candidate for Storms End
http://www.bestofwales.co.uk/History_of_wales.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Apparently, it is not elaborately filled with towers, mazequins, gatehouses and all the other stuff that constitutes a medieval castle, but it's only a simple smooth stone curtain wall, everything rounded so the wind has nothing to grip on.

I'd make a big, thick wall, with low, broad towers, and everything rounded. It should look very sturdy and "I'm not gonna move for the world"-ish.

:puppy: