PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sign me up!

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Armada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh look! Fantasy Flight directly rips off those who came before it!
what a surprise

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Only that the models will be quality instead of tat.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My thoughts on this are that I am interested, not just because of my fondness for the original, well-worn and 'lived-in' Star Wars universe, but because X-Wing has been a lot of fun and I can foresee ways of tying these games together into an overall campaign. Use Armada for the large scale fight, with the possibiilty of switching the fighter and smaller capital ship actions over to X-Wing.
Maybe I am getting lazier in old age or the current desperate lack of free time is doing it but I like the fact that these come ready to play out of the box.
I'm in!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

hithero wrote:
Only that the models will be quality instead of tat.

I agree the quality will be higher but at a ridiculous price point. That's the only reason I refuse to play X-Wing. Makes GW seem reasonable

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I agree the quality will be higher but at a ridiculous price point. That's the only reason I refuse to play X-Wing. Makes GW seem reasonable
Although they're a bit expensive, that last statement is simply exaggerated. I can get a normal ship expansion for about half the price of a plastic Legolas, and a solid, competitive army (including all rules and templates) for the price of, well, just the Hobbit rulebook...
I don't even dare to introduce people to SBG anymore as the required funds are insane, but have currently already 'converted' two new X-Wing opponents.

As for this new game, I love the idea of using this as the large-scale campaign in which smaller struggles can be fought using X-Wing figures. Game looks pretty good too, although I do prefer the X-Wing scale and probably will resist Armada for the time being.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You're not really comparing apples to apples IMO with the Legolas comparison. Legolas is a hero bit you need only 1. So $20 for a hero and one box of even the most expensive infantry puts you at $65 USD. The Slave 1 which I would have to have because I'm a huge Fett fan costs $45-50 USD here. That's ridiculous for a model that size.
I agree that to merely enter the game is probably similar price but seeing as I already have my LOTR which is a much better value than X-Wing. I'm not inclined to shell out starter money for ships I don't care about when the ones I do like are $30+ each

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

X-Wing is a fantastic game. If this is half as good it'll get my money. The price point is high if you think you're just buying a miniature. Remembering that it's a prepainted miniature and that the box contains cards, counters, dice etc, it's not so bad.

The markup is similar to a board game, and honestly, I view this as a board game. people don't baulk at all about shelling out £60 for a board game with unpainted miniatures of far worse quality, a bunch of cards, counters and not much else but a rules book.

As a miniatures game X-wing seems a bit pricey. As a board game I think it's basically ok.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wow 60 pounds! That's a bit rich for myself lol. But you're right ultimately what people will pay is the optimal price point

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
You're not really comparing apples to apples IMO with the Legolas comparison. Legolas is a hero bit you need only 1. So $20 for a hero and one box of even the most expensive infantry puts you at $65 USD. The Slave 1 which I would have to have because I'm a huge Fett fan costs $45-50 USD here. That's ridiculous for a model that size.
I agree that to merely enter the game is probably similar price but seeing as I already have my LOTR which is a much better value than X-Wing. I'm not inclined to shell out starter money for ships I don't care about when the ones I do like are $30+ each
Ehm, the Slave-I is $30, right? http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/pro ... ?SKU=SWX07
And no, the price to start is very much dissimilar, as I was stating. A full force including all rules and templates is the price as just the Hobbit rulebook. Add 3 boxes of warriors, a command box, named hero and sourcebook to get a comparison for an actual force.. excluding paints etc. Starting X-Wing is a lot cheaper than starting even LotR, and the mind boggles what a proper WHFB army would cost these days. Aside from TIE Fighter or the new Z-95 Headhunter, each ship is about 1/4th of your army (20-30pts; the big ones 30-50 depending on upgrades).

After being very impressed with the X-Wing mechanism (learned in a single game, tactically interesting for hundreds of games onwards), I quickly purchased well over two fleets, so that new people are easily introduced, and can play many games without having to shell out anything.
I hope Armada will be reasonably similar in that sense: interesting mechanics (looks promising so far), but easy to learn the basics of. Very nice to play with people lacking any experience in wargames or similar.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wow I won't be returning to that store to purchase the Slave 1 it's more than $30 there

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Also some people are confused by the size of the star destroyer so to clarify the included ship is a Victory II class star destroyer which is 900 meters and not the common Imperial I or II class star destroyer which is 1,600 meters.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

dpb1298 wrote:
Also some people are confused by the size of the star destroyer so to clarify the included ship is a Victory II class star destroyer which is 900 meters and not the common Imperial I or II class star destroyer which is 1,600 meters.

I'm actually sad about this. I want an Imperial class Star Destroyer with Chimera upgrade and Thrawn pilot card. If they make all that I'm buying into this version regardless of how over priced I feel it is

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh I am sure they will make that as an expansion but according to the pictures it looks like all the large ships have a unique title card and multiple upgrades. I also would like Hapan Battle-dragons but that probably wont happen anytime soon. Also the pictures are all photo-shopped images so the look will improve of the minis once we see pictures from gen-con in 3 days.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This points to the biggest problem with the sale of Star Wars. Everyone lost their license's and were told to stop what ever they were doing (some were allowed to finish up). and Then most of the stuff is being rebooted but through new manufacturers. Lucas merchandizers already had a lot of the good idea's marketed and available so anyone coming in the wake will be forced to look like a copy until people switch over from past to present.

This game looks good (so did X-wing). I am sure they will market all the popular stuff again, anyone would.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sithious wrote:
This points to the biggest problem with the sale of Star Wars. Everyone lost their license's and were told to stop what ever they were doing (some were allowed to finish up).

Does this mean X-Wing is stopping?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No not at all. Fantasy Flight Games is the new publisher and they make X-Wing. Sithious and JamesR are referring to Wizards of the Coast who were the old publisher and had the rights to star wars miniatures games before Disney bought LucasFilm. Then Fantasy Flight picked up the license. Wizards of the Coast had and old game that was similar to this new on but this one will be better IMO. As long as Fantasy Flight keeps publishing new content for their star wars games they are not in danger of losing the license.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:

If you go to miniature market you will find very reasonable prices.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-to ... ire&page=1

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-to ... ire&page=1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

X-Wing starter box can be got for £24, sometimes less so you have 3 ships, templates, many cards, tokens, rules and dice, everything required for the basic game in one box. Fighter sized ships can be got for £10 (or if you want more standard TIE and X-Wing fighters get more starter boxes so you get 3 for £24). The bigger ships run £20 and up depending on what they are and also come with more cards, templates, tokens etcetera. I spent a few hours just fiddling with the range of variations available and was astonished at the permutations.
Have a look at this interesting little site to see what I mean: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!