All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm

Post subject: HeroScape
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So, here I am, shamefully punting another game. ;)

The game is called HeroScape, and it is basically a game of two fantasy armies going up against each other on terrain that is built from tiles that interlock and stack on each other, giving you the ability to play on different 3D battlefields every time. There are plenty of expansions, giving you snow terrain, volcanic lava terrain, trees and bridges, and a multitude of creatures and men to add to your ranks. The game is big, bigger than it looks anyway. Even one master set, as pictured above, will be enough to cover a significant portion of most dining room tables.

I didn't want to like this one, it seemed to be for kids (that's the target market), and more flash than anything else. However, one afternoon on a visit to my games store, they were out of anything I wanted, so I decided to give it a try, thinking my son would like it. This was last week. Since then, two of my work colleagues have felt they needed a copy too, and together the three of us have purchased all the HeroScape merchandise in our area (and it's a big area). This says more about how scarce the game is here than it does about how much we purchased, but it should serve to illustrate how it tends to grab you.

I have plenty of "gamer's games" in my collection of board games (now numbering 89), but for sheer fun, this one is tops. My son of 7 years old did like it, and will hardly play anything else now. Even when not playing, he often sits and builds terrain, and plays through battles on his own, trying out different characters.

Anybody else been sucked in by this one? I tell myself I am buying expansions for my son, but part of me knows better, and my work colleagues aren't even pretending. They are playing it with their adult friends, and are really enjoying it.

If it sounds interesting, check it out at http://www.heroscape.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It certainly is appealing - one of the benefits is that the figures come ready painted so play is more immediate.

I have too much clutter already (that's not the word my family use for my possessions but this is a family friendly forum...) so I will not be buying any. The Backlog needs my attention!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I bought it for my son (aged 6 then) for Christmas 2005 and it took over our lives for about a month after. Despite looks, it is quite quick to set up and get a game going (no 2 games are the same even with the same setup and board config) and plays relatively quickly - we only played the basic version mind as my son was so young at the time, but once this year's festivities are finally over and all the paraphernalia of Christmas is out of the way, we'll try and set it up again (takes over the whole dining table) if the Mrs will let us. I haven't any of the expansions yet, but they are looking more and more tempting.

The Master set can now be bought very cheaply online so the normal RRP of £40 is no longer an issue (but it is still much cheaper than trying to start up Warhammer et al). I recommend it as a nice break from LotR.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I started with the basic rules when playing with my son too, Little_Odo. I hadn't really examined the "Master Rules", but it was he who kept wanting them (so that his dragons could fly and use their special powers). After reading through them, I found that they really weren't very much more complicated than the basic rules at all. You may have read them already, so know what I mean. Basically, it adds the use of the special powers, most of which are very simple to use, and the concept of wounds, which simply involves placing wound tokens on the cards until they equal the characters life points, at which time they are destroyed and removed from play.

My son loved the basic play, but it really came alive with the "master rules". The fact that his characters can be attacked, fail the defense roll, and still live to exact some revenge appeals to him far more than the instant dismissal in the basic game.

I know what you mean about it taking over the dining room table. As I type this, I am sitting at ours, with a HeroScape war raging across the rest of it. I have eked out a little space for my laptop amid the carnage. :)

One of things I appreciate with this game is that expansions are by no means required to fully enjoy the experience. I get more because it's just so much fun! The trees, road tiles and bridge (from the Forgotten Forest expansion set) are a great terrain addition. Although they don't add much (only 5 trees, 1 bridge), I like the look of trees on the field.

Of course, I feel we simply must have the castle set, and one or two copies of the ice (tundra) expansion. And then there's the Roman soldiers, and the Zombies, and.... well, there's a lot. :)

They are releasing an "expansion" in the next month or so called "Marvel HeroScape". There is no news of it on the official site, but www.boardgamegeek.com has a fair bit on it, including photographs from a gaming convention showing off the bits and some of the figures. It will features 10 Marvel superheroes/villians and a few scenery bits more suited to creating an urban evironment. They are saying one should not mix these figures with the regular HeroScape lot, keeping it an all superhero affair, but the terrain tiles are still useful.

I still want to play heavier games with my brothers, friends and wife, but I will seldom turn down a game of HeroScape. It's the best excuse to play with toy dinosaurs, dragons and soldiers I can think of. Note, I do not consider the GW models toys at all, they are miniature models. These plastic goodies in HeroScape are toys, but toys with rules! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yeah many of my friends own it and by far the best part is building the terrain. Its SOOO customisable, and the little hexes could be used for other games as well.

DOUBLE WOOTAGE....erm, yeah.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yes, this game is by far more amusing than chess or go, andeasier than monopoly and stuff like that. I went over to a friends house and we got out his chess board and used the little heroscape guys and used the same moves put rolled if someone wanted to take another peice in range and gave them wounds and stuff. for aq kiddey game, it very very very very entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My son also received Heroscape as a Christmas present (in addition to getting the Mines of Moria). Using the basic rules, the game is definitely a bit simpler to get going. He has several friends that own and play it so I'm sure it will be used a lot.

After I opened it and started to assemble it, I had to call one of my neighbors to ask how they store the darn thing. One you take it out, it is impossible to put back into the orginal box! Our solution is a large plastic tub!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BrentS wrote:
One you take it out, it is impossible to put back into the orginal box! Our solution is a large plastic tub!

Tell me about it! There are actually instructions online somehwere that tell you how to get it back in the box :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent game, my group has been playing it for about 3 months now. It is a well balanced game with good rules (although defies logic in some places) and the mini's are fantastic. How can plastic 'toy' models have detail covering all of the model in highly animated poses and GW can't?

Picked the basic game up from Argos for just £5 :) Well two sets at that price for extra terrain for our multi-player battles and the dragons will certainly be suitable for LOTR - bargin :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm, I think I will have to check out Argos and see if I can pick up another set - for a fiver you say?!?!? Like you say Hithero, it is worth it just for the Mimring (dragon) figure.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've brought the master set but in New Zealand thats all thats here
great game I had this before lord of the rings.