All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

Post subject: BGIM scenarios with new rules
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever gone back and replayed through the old scenarios from the DeAgostini magazines with the most recent rules?

I used to collect the magazines and play with my brother and, just got back into the hobby for the first time in about 15yrs and would like to try with the updated rules and points values but worry that the scenarios might be uneven.

Wonder if anyone's given them a go!
 Post subject: Re: BGIM scenarios with new rules
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I can't say that I've tried that, but if your main concern is that things are uneven, well, I'm not so sure the scenarios were all perfectly balanced even when they came out.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun, though. Some of the smaller ones especially are quick enough that you can play them multiple times in a single session. So try one that looks promising and make adjustments for the next round.

Extra points if you report your observations back here. :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I've played through the first 5 scenarios with my girlfriend who wanted to give it a go and is brand new to the game. As she's learning, we decided to go with the rules as written in the magazines to start with as I remember them being a great introduction, slowly introducing rules with each scenario.
So with basic rules, it appears that you're right when it comes to them being even even as written!

Scenario 1: Aragorn vs 12 Moria goblins, no might or fate, most basic of rules... Aragorn lost all 3 games!
Scenario 2: 12 Elves and Men vs 12 goblins, still basic rules, elves and men won all 2 games again, goblins won 1, but the elves and men were being 'helped' by my 7yr old daughter haha
Scenario 3: Frodo & Aragorn vs 5 Ringwraiths, no might, will or fate, still basic rules, Ringwraiths won both games very swiftly
Scenario 4: 8 Elves vs 10 Uruk Hai, elves won both games but this one was probably the closest of them so far
Scenario 5: Frodo & Aragorn vs Lurtz and 5 Uruk Hai, Lurtz and Uruk Hai won both games again

This is using the same gaming area for each game replay, swapping sides.
Once we've built in all the rules, we might go back and replay them again with full rules to see if this makes a difference... From the looks of things, Scenario 1 and 5 will certainly be evened up with the heroic attributes of Aragorn and Frodo vs overwhelming numbers.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I wonder how many people got turned off to the game from that first Aragorn vs the Goblins scenario, highly imbalanced in favor of the "wrong" side? I guess we'll never know because those folks won't be posting here. :)

I'm glad you guys are apparently having fun with them, though!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah it's been fun... Might migrate to some of the newer scenarios once we've worked through the first batch that built in the rules.

It's funny, I seem to remember Aragorn winning that first scenario more often when I was younger, but maybe that was the inexperience of us being young and new to the game!

Thanks for replying to my post btw... Appreciate the response!