All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 am

Post subject: The Hobbit Battle Brothers (Or LOTR Doubles tournament)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hello each

I've just noticed that the Battle Brothers pack has been updated in the last week or so to include details about how the Hobbit Doubles tournament will work. Makes for interesting reading.

Firstly, as expected, it's a 1000 point Good or Evil army divided between the two players. So Blue on Blue fights again which will annoy some people, doesn't bother me too much to be honest and it's less figures to paint/bring/break/lose. The composition can be however you want, it doesn't have to be 50/50 and you can draw on as many sourcebooks as you like. Essentially it's the TOS army selection criteria but controlled by 2 players. I'd personally rather 2 armies of min 400points and max 600 points that add up to 1000 chosen from no more than 2 lists but that's just me. No big surprises here, it should generate exactly the same reaction TOS did and will prevent the 2 Leader/2 Break Point VP issues of last year's doubles.

However, far more interesting (and potentially problematic) is that we're going to be randomly generating 5 out of the 6 scenarios again and the victory points you score in your games become your tournament points.

Unless I'm reading it wrong there is no bonus for actually winning a game (beyond pride) and it throws up all kinds of inequalities between the scenarios.

For example, in To the Death the Maximum VPs you can score is 10 whereas in Hold Ground you can score 6 + however many models are in your army (50-70 average?). This means that if you absolutely decimated your opponent in Hold Ground and lost every other game you could potentially win the event. It's unlikely but possible. It also means that the results of To the Death and Domination are far less important than the results of the other 4 as there are less VPs available.

It also presumably means that you could lose all 5 of your games and still win the tournament with a narrow loss in one of the latter 4 scenarios!

It could also lead to some dubious tactics. Consider for example setting up for Reconnoitre. The 6 VPs you get for breaking the enemy and killing the leader aren't worth the risk of the VPs lost by your models who will die in the attempt. Instead, is the best idea not just to set up on opposite halves of the table and just walk off? Having a gentleman's agreement not to shoot at each other on the way, you'll both score 50-70 VPs and won't have lost out in the slightest as there's no benefit to winning.

I'll be going along regardless as the weekends are always good fun but I'm dubious to say the least.

For anyone who's interested the events pack can be found below and tickets go on sale on Wednesday

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =24700004a

Thoughts?

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Battle Brothers (Or LOTR Doubles tournament)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that you should make it fair so that you get around the same number of points in almost every scenario
This way, the worst player could win by playing one of the 4 higher scoring scenarios every time and losing all of them badly, but still win the tournament overall. This is sorta unfair. IMO, the best player should win.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Completely agree with your sentiment but they mitigate this by picking a scenario per round. Everyone plays the same scenario and you can only play each one once. The worst player could arguably still won though.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't understand why they don't just have the usual x pts for a win, y for a draw nothing for a loss, then use the actual victory pts as tie breakers.

Then again GW is pushing this TOS is not a competitive event view so if there's no competition I guess there;s not meant to be any winners, just players.