All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm

Post subject: Re: East Grinstead Wargamers Tournament
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Added the event pack below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quick update. I have released the custom scenario. Have a look and any queries let me know :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think it's quite a good scenario, but what happens of one person plays without a musician or with only one warband like fellowship and white council etc. ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't think the musician thing is a problem. If you don't take one you can't give away the VPs but equally you can't gain the VPs.

As for the one all-hero warband thing I'd read the rules as every hero killed gives 2VPs, not purely the leader of the warband. So Independent heroes would be worth 2VPs as well. It does say 2VP per hero killed afterall.

Possibly needs a clarification though Southy?

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In all honesty, and no disrespect to you Sam, I'm sure you weren't trying to metagame or make things easier on yourself when you wrote this scenario, but every bone in my body tells me that the special rule is a bit off.

To me, the rule ONLY benefits evil horde armies (the msot common type of army that is already very easy to play and has alot of nasty, impossible to combat tactics available to it), it removes one of their strongest weaknesses, courage, and will really impact on the effectiveness of any good army, because courage generally isn't as big a problem.

Maybe just make the leader count as a banner, that way he can still be a target worth killing, but doesn't break the game. If a hero already has a banner effect they can get a horn, or have their banner range extended by 3"?

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dr Grant wrote:
As for the one all-hero warband thing I'd read the rules as every hero killed gives 2VPs, not purely the leader of the warband. So Independent heroes would be worth 2VPs as well. It does say 2VP per hero killed afterall.

Possibly needs a clarification though Southy?

Spot on there Dr G. I agree the title is a little confusing. All heroes yield +2VPs when they die so keep them safe ;)

@Marsbar:

I can tell you now, I do not benefit from this scenario. While I am playing evil, it is not a hoard army. Plus, all the benefits given by the rule can be attained by casting fury (which if you are hoarding, you should have anyway). If anything, it helps the poor old gondorians/ arnor/ other armies with no fury or low courage.
I guess the only iffy bit is the no breaking while the general is alive :? How about if I changed the no breaking bit to +1 courage?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good shout on the hero ruling. That makes sense and should make the game v.interesting.

Whilst I didn't feel as strongly as Marsbar, I must admit your revised rule (+1 courage) sounds preferable.

Breaking is such an important part of the dynamic of an SBG game that it's almost a shame to try to remove it's effects. In addition, in a game where you're trying to reduce each other to 25%, breaking models play a large part in that and in the time limited games of tournaments I think it will help in concluding the games.

So overall a big, big thumbs up for "+1 courage as long as the general is alive" from me.

So how many players do you have confirmed bud?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

10 paid including myself. 4/5 more have declared an interest but not paid.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What about VPs for non-hero monsters? An Isengard Troll or a Great Eagle are about as tough to take down as Gimli, and probably more destructive. Heroes will be giving up might to do heroic strikes against monsters and risking giving up 2VP if they fail, but the monster is taking no additional risk at all.

Looking forward to Saturday, bringing an unfamiliar army though, so I'm expecting to spend all day getting pwned. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :-D

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Damian"]What about VPs for non-hero monsters? An Isengard Troll or a Great Eagle are about as tough to take down as Gimli, and probably more destructive. Heroes will be giving up might to do heroic strikes against monsters and risking giving up 2VP if they fail, but the monster is taking no additional risk at all.

Sounds entirely sensible, and importantly makes the risk factor multilateral, which is inline with the thinking behind the rules.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm a bit late with this but I just wanted to say a massive thanks to the organisers, especially Sam, Craig and Adrian, for what was an absolutely spectacular day.

Great venue, great people and a really well run event, massive thanks to you all for all the effort you all put in, can't wait for the next one!

My only feedback (note, not criticism) would be that to fit five games into one day perhaps the points should be reduced to around 600 as I think that would suit the game-length better.

All in all though a great day, well done all involved.