All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Post subject: Re: Zach's City Board - Update January 23rd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Rapid fire updates! Here is the last update I'll have until at least the weekend. Progress is slowing on the construction of the corner piece simply due to boredom, so to keep things fresh, I've started on another tile.

The next two pictures show the 1st of 4 city "blocks" that will be made. This one includes a four way intersection, a shrine (the round piece), the new piece, and a piece to be determined.

The next three pictures show the progress on the corner piece. I still have yet to cast and build the roof, but progress has been made on the landscaping.

The hedges were made from scouring pads soaked in glue and then rolled in various types of ground cover. Both the trees and the hedges have not been glued in place yet.

Let me know what you all think!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's great work. Looks like it will be a lot of fun to play on when you're done!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is SWEET!

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow that looks Great

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great effort.... looks amazing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys,

Updates are on their way in the next week or so. In the mean time, I was curious if any of you know of anywhere I could find city "accessories": wagons, crates, market stands, etc. etc.

I've done a little bit of digging, but haven't found much that I like, so your help would be much appreciated!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yup. Plastic carts and oxen (sold seperately) available from WizKids Deep Cut minis line, with chests, barrels and crates.

Wooden carts of laser cut MDF from 4ground.co.uk or warbases.co.uk.

Some of us have entirely too much time to waste on the internet. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Zach's City Board - Update February 20th
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just a few small updates!

The first two pictures show the progress on the building I started in the prior update.

There will be a staircase leading up to the roof, with a decorative façade around the top.

The statue is a chess piece I bought off of ebay. The trees are woodland scenics frames with poly fiber stretched over them, then finished with flock that is the closest I could to find to cherry blossoms.

Finally, here are a few pictures of the first half of the first "block" coming together just to get an idea of how many models this board will be able to handle.

Post subject: Re: Re: Zach's City Board - Update February 20th
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This looks amazing! Really realistic compared with the architecture you see in the films.
 Post subject: Re: Re: Zach's City Board - Update February 20th
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks like an interesting challenge for cavalry models based on the pictures. You will definately have to post a bat rep with cavalry when you are done.

Post subject: Re: Zach's City Board - Update February 20th
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys, long time no see.

Updates have been slow, but I have made a bit of progress with the city. Thus far I have laid the roadways down (and primed them) on the four 2x2' boards I am using as the base for the city (pictures to come soon).

Additionally, I have nearly finished one of the "buildings". It still needs some highlighting around the edges of the raised portion in addition to some drybrushing of the ground around the platform. Also, I'll need to add a bit of color with vines and perhaps more flowers. The statue of Borimir will also need to painted, of course.

https://imgur.com/a/3m4gfxr

Post subject: Re: Zach's City Board - Update September 19th
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys. Updates are slow, but I'm finding more time to get some work done on this board. This corner building is about 75% complete at this point. All that remains is casting the roof and adding a few of the finer details.

https://imgur.com/VEQreyP

https://imgur.com/RAl9CKM

https://imgur.com/XsuPHE0

https://imgur.com/YgSigCJ

I'm hoping to finish casting/building the second building of this block this weekend and having it painted by next week. Unfortunately the process is slow given how many casts I need for each building. Anyways, keep an eye out for updates, and C&C is welcome!
 Post subject: Re: Re: Zach's City Board - Update September 19th
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hmmmmm... Maybe I should get Hirst Arts blocks?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks great, it puts my recent works to shame. Are those scouring pad hedges?

@Cave Dragon: Join us... I think I probably have an entire printer paper box full of cast up stuff. It's addictive. Judging from Zach's work, it probably represents a hundred dollar investment in moulds. They are expensive, but after you have acquired them, making buildings is cheap. And they last for years. My first ones are probably 10 years old now. I'm always willing to trade blocks for minis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cave Dragon wrote:
Hmmmmm... Maybe I should get Hirst Arts blocks?

They are well worth the investment. I believe I used casts from three different molds to make this building. I have 9 molds total I am using for this project. Casting is cheap, however, time consuming. Again, well worth the expense once you see your idea come to life.

GreatKhanArtist wrote:

@Cave Dragon: Join us... I think I probably have an entire printer paper box full of cast up stuff. It's addictive. Judging from Zach's work, it probably represents a hundred dollar investment in moulds. They are expensive, but after you have acquired them, making buildings is cheap. And they last for years. My first ones are probably 10 years old now. I'm always willing to trade blocks for minis.

They are in fact scouring pads! They have been cut to size and coated in wood glue then dunked in a mixture of woodland scenics turf.

More updates to come in the next few days!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking Good! FYI, in imgur, you can get a link that will that will show the image here. Down arrow in upper right of image, get share links, BBCode (Forums).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:

Unfortunately, my collection is yet to be full grown. However, they do come out better than foam core in my opinion(unless it is small ruins. Then you can texture foam core easily). Will have to see, as I do have a decent plastic collection, as I printed some, but Hirst enables larger builds... How long would you say it takes to get one mold ready?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, I never cast just one mould. The instructions on the plaster of paris box could be scaled down, I guess, but I always just cast about a half dozen moulds at once so I have lots to play with in the future. It takes about an hour to cast a mould up, as you have to let it dry to a certain amount before you can remove the blocks or you damage the edges or break the blocks. Once you pop them out, they are dry enough to mock up if you are gentle, but too wet to glue. Don't glue the damp blocks; they change size and shape and the glue doesn't stick. You can use an oven on low or a dehydrator to speed the process, but if you don't it can take several days for them to dry completely.

Post subject: Re: Zach's City Board - Update November 16th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Work has been progressing!

Here are a few pictures of what's been going on the past few days.

The tower is a precast Hirst Arts Bell Tower kit from Drakenstone I purchased some time ago; I figured it fits the look of the rest of the buildings and would save me some time.

This piece will be encircled by hedges with stone paths working their way to the edge of the base where they will meet the street. I'll use static grass to make the "lawn" and add some trees for decoration.

Additionally, I started to piece together the rooves for the buildings that will have the. I started by building a balsa frame, and then finished by cutting sheets of clay tile textured card to size. I'm still unsure of the color I will be painting the roof (either a deep red, or dark blue), so....suggestions welcome!

Now that snow is falling in my neck of the woods updates should be coming more frequently! Let me know what you all think!

Zach
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Huzzah! I love it, of course!

I used a beautiful blue-grey on my roofs. They're slate though. I'd probably go more of a rusty red for the clay tiles, as they would've been terracotta in the real world. Also, be careful not to do them too bright, or the eye will be drawn to the roofs, especially if you want to use them as a display.

Your loved ones let you use the slate counter top? Mine would kill me...