All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Post subject: scenic cement???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i have purchased a a fine turf bag from woodland scenics and thought i could simply glue it on...but they say to use scenic cement.

Is this necessary????
 Post subject: Re: scenic cement???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's just their glue, much like GW advertise their own glue for their products. You can use anything. Personally, I use PVA to attach my woodland scenics products to things.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

PHEW!!!!!
i live in india and i have to either ship it over or buy thkngs when im on holiday in europe...

thank you

(nice blog btw)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You're welcome :)

(and thank you)

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi.
I will add only my 2 cents , that original Scenic Cement is kind of mix of glue and matt varnish, so the advantage of using it is you will have a flat/matt surface after it dries, where some other glues may leave shiny spots or areas , between applied patches of turfs or static grass.

But as Blue Dragon wrote, you may freely replace it by any Elmers or PVA white glue, with no doubts.

My WIPs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Typically the whole matte v shiny aspect of the glue isn't an issue unless you have a very thick layer of glue or very poor coverage with turf. Heck, if it did become a problem, then mix some matte varnish with glue, or spray some matte varnish over the board. In over ten years, I've never had an issue with shiny glue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Scenic cement is meant to be applied with a spray bottle. A "wet water" and binder for Woodland Scenic pigments as well as glue. There is no better product for plaster rock faces on large railroad projects.
PVA can be diluted and used in a spray bottle. However, It is difficult to make and the white filler leaves a residue. The larger the area the more likely the residue will be a problem. School glue,thin PVA, is thinner but often is formulated to remove from children's clothing. It does not wear as well and rubs off.
You can get away with using PVA for small projects but choose a product that is waterproof. Carpenters PVA has no white binder. Some people insist that PVA makes a good water effect. Others hand paint it on foam in order to use spray paint. Why not just hand paint the foam and skip a pointless step.
Scenic cement can be used to attach layers of textures to the layout or trees. I find cheap hairspray is better for trees.But the hairspray is nearly worthless in most other applications.
link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBDf6vQ_v8

Coloring rock faces with scenic cement as binder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfP4RpcDYw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Blue Dragon wrote:
That's just their glue, much like GW advertise their own glue for their products. You can use anything. Personally, I use PVA to attach my woodland scenics products to things.

I want to comment on this separately. GW has PVA packaged by the manufacturer with a GW label. GW puts a premium price on it. You can use PVA for many applications.You can even eat it if you want. PVA is unlike apples and oranges not food. Scenic Cement is not PVA it is formulated as a binder and "wet water" spray glue for the WS flocking and earth color pigments.
Woodland Scenic Cement is not salad dressing.Apples and Oranges and salad dressing OH MY :rofl:
I am not trying to pick on anybody 8) I also use hot glue, epoxy and super glue. Don't forget plastic cement :-X :puppy: