All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

Post subject: Games Workshops Citadel Wood kit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm going a 2v2 game soon and have offered to bring some terrain pieces with me, mainly Hornby trees etc. I'm tempted to get the Citadel Woods set because it's beautifully detailed but it seems a bit too over the top for the Hobbit :( My opponents aren't fussed about what scenary they use but I like a relatively themed table top :) Have many people used these kind of terrain kits and if so what do you think about them ?

Post subject: Re: Games Workshops Citadel Wood kit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

They're really lovely kits but they take a lot of work. The kit doesn't come with enough leaves to make good looking trees so you'll need some spare leaf sprues to make full, effective looking trees. Also, if you want to make them look really good you'll need to remove the mould lines and that'll take absolutely ages - it's a horrible process. Finally, they're very fragile models and I don't think they'll be particularly robust for a gaming table, I've only ever used them for display board/model bases. If you want some more information then I wrote up my experiences with them on page 12 of my WIP thread:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25596&start=220

Purely aesthetically though I think they're fine for SBG, I think they look perfect for Mirkwood - However, for travelling about and using on the tabletop I'd go with normal wargaming trees though for both the ease and the survivability.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Definitely the best GW scenery kit to date. Because the three trees can be removed from the base if need be, it also offers a really versatile piece of scenery that can act as a bewildering forest, or just a few scattered trees. It's great fun to paint too, although mine did take nine years what with two hobby-hiatuses in between. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've built three of the citadel wood kits.

They've very warhammery in style and detail - but I've found with a bit of Halloween decorating cobwebs they do wonders as corrupted Mirkwood trees.

One other thing to bear in mind is that I found the leaves to be very poor. They're just flat pieces of plastic, and it doesn't give a very pleasant tree effect - this doesn't matter too much for my Mirkwood dead trees, but might be problematic for you. I noticed those that I did glue on just broke off again anyway, and so ended up removing all the foliage from the trees.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice guys :) Creaky - the Halloween cobweb idea sounds amazing ! And Dr Grant, I know what you mean about the mould lines, the older GW plastic is awful for that :( I'll check out your WIP ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I did not use the leaves. I added Woodland scenic tree armatures.I wanted mine to be dead so I did not flock them.