All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

Post subject: Amera Products
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=f

I was recently made aware of this manufacturer who produce plastic terrain. I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased any of it? is it good? Strong? If it is hollow what would you use to fill it, say expanding foam? any help is much appreciated as those costs are really good for the size of the products.
 Post subject: Re: Amera Products
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a few of their pieces and I wouldn't bother with them. Flimsy, thin plastic that is worthless.
I bought 5 of their Rohan looking cottages and when they arrived, I threw them in the junk pile.
Just my own opinion. Others may differ.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have never been a fan of vacuform kits. You can use expanding foam but depending on brand it may be more difficult than starting from scratch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To provide some balance, here some finished pieces of a guy who's rather happy with them: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php? ... msg1016807
More pictures and information on the pieces earlier in the thread. Of course, they're not absolutely amazing, but that's not something you'd expect for that price either. Certainly seem like a decent starting point, saving time and effort. Different products may vary of course.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:38 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
To provide some balance, here some finished pieces of a guy who's rather happy with them: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php? ... msg1016807
More pictures and information on the pieces earlier in the thread. Of course, they're not absolutely amazing, but that's not something you'd expect for that price either. Certainly seem like a decent starting point, saving time and effort. Different products may vary of course.

Vacuform is better suited to large model kits and clear model airplane model kit canopies.

Sci Fi Supply vacuform Star destroyer from 1997 is a good example.Vacuform kits are not simple or beginner models. They almost always require a frame work of some kind. It is much easier to add a shell to a frame than build a frame for a shell.

Expanding foam generates enough heat to distort thin plastic shells.It can be done but often the shell is damaged in the process. A hot wire cutter is often a better solution than casting foam in a shell. I have used vacuform molds to cast latex.The inside of a vacuecast is more detailed than the outside. You will need a plaster back up for a vacuform shell even for latex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A bit late to the topic but I have purchased a few of the river sections from Amera recently, was really happy with them. Will probably buy a few hill sections from them at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

glad to hear that ; I been considering some of their moulded water sheets for things like the Watcher in the Water ; think I might splash out on them now ('scuse the pun!) ;)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jhk2005 wrote:
glad to hear that ; I been considering some of their moulded water sheets for things like the Watcher in the Water ; think I might splash out on them now ('scuse the pun!) ;)

Hana that's spooky I've been eyeing up the watcher also, was toying with the idea of the water effect sheets or using the epoxy resin.