All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Post subject: Gondoran Noble Estate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I cannot claim credit for the design, it was copied off one I saw online for the most part. The east balconies are my original design. I sincerely hope I am a better nurse than architect, as I had to make a lot of adjustments along the way! :oops:

Aerial view. South is at the top of the image for reference.

Yes, you can lift the top off to play inside, as this proxy knight of Dol Amroth demonstrates.

The courtyard. It probably would've made more sense to tile this and make it part of the interior of the building, since it really doesn't have much living quarters. But it looks so pretty as a courtyard, and this is what makes it a noble's estate. That is supposed to be a fountain against the wall. It will have an ornament made from a spare Fireforge horse head, which at the moment has been misplaced. Eventually I will add some resin water to the basin, when I graduate and have some money for such eccentricities. I went with a greener grass in here, as the other didn't contrast well and it was supposed to have been a garden in peaceful times. The window on the upper staircase is a Khan Artist original concept. I played around with some blocks to make something that would work for the staircase, and by golly, it came out great! :roll:

Dollar store moss for the vines. It looks better than I thought it would! and it breaks up the visual blah of the slab wall at the back end of the estate. The deader grass can be seen here. There is only a flat wall under the balcony.

Originally the second storey was to have a matching balcony, but it was just too unstable and difficult to play in without a roof. As it was a damaged and abandoned estate, that idea was scrapped. That's also why the braizers against the door have no flames.

Half of the front of the estate. A great place for a duel, as my proxy knight of Dol Amroth demonstrates. You don't want to lose a roll and be pushed back off the parapet... The original had a balcony made out of tacks, but this doesn't work well with plaster. Explore the ruins at your own peril, I guess.

The other half of the front. This roof had to get glued on to keep the arches intact. They look awesome, but are really fragile from a gaming point. I put a window in this one, cause windows are cool.

Finally, the blue and white minis are Fireforge. I bought them because I wanted proxies for Knights of Dol Amroth, which is what the guys with the long robes will become. These guys are supposed to be Dol Amroth sailors for All at Sea. They are allowed to take throwing spears, so that's why they all look like that. Fun, quick little models to paint up with lots of assembly options. They happen to be on the painting side of my desk right now. They look great with the GW KoDA.

Post subject: Re: Gondoran Noble Estate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

And yes, it's huge. Once again the mat is there to show scale, each square is 1 inch. I'm not planning to make anything this big for a while, but I do have some smaller Gondor ruins in the works, so stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nicely done! Someone has been busy with Hirst Arts! Like your trim between floors and yes, you can not go wrong with arches and windows!

You made me feel guilty that I have been avoiding a mold for awhile so I actually poured plaster today!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well done. 8)

Nice weather is back. I am going to do some mold making myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Well done. 8)

Nice weather is back. I am going to do some mold making myself.

Yay! I always like to see what you've cooked up. :) Mapper, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

this is awesome. Which moulds did you use?

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh gosh, that's a good question and I knew someone was going to ask it. Gothic Dungeon builder is certainly a go-to mould for me. Lots and lots of basic blocks, and prison tower, and obviously the octagonal mould. I think that's all of them!

Oldman Willow in his Moria thread says what he recommends as the essential Middle Earth moulds. I read it and I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Oh gosh, that's a good question and I knew someone was going to ask it. Gothic Dungeon builder is certainly a go-to mould for me. Lots and lots of basic blocks, and prison tower, and obviously the octagonal mould. I think that's all of them!

Oldman Willow in his Moria thread says what he recommends as the essential Middle Earth moulds. I read it and I agree.

Prison Tower Mold #60
Wall Builder Mold #200
Floor Tiles Various Sizes
Mold #201
Dragon's Inn Mold #51

Mold 51 has several critical part for doors, windows and stairs.

The stairs and the 1 1/2 inch arch

200 speeds things up

#201 has several parts for that can be useful for floors,walls,and stairs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I want to recommend 4bot molds for those of you that cast.

V10 from Zombicide Wolsburg
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=4bot-industries
I glued this up today. V11 tomorrow