All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Post subject: Foam Cutting Service?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I backed a Hex Terrain Kick Starter a while ago: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... in-toolkit

The end result seems fantastic as does the planning and making rivers and cliffs etc. What I don't want to do is have to cut 1000 hexes and snowflakes before I can really start the fun stuff.

My question is does anyone know of a company in the UK that would be able to cut foam that I would supply into the hexagons and snowflakes for me? I could supply a CAD file I'm sure. The only services I seem to be able to find are metal cutting or laser cutting (which won't work with the foam)..?

Post subject: Re: Foam Cutting Service?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Jacob. Yes I recall Ross Kearns' Kickstarter, almost got close to backing it myself. I think you need to search for hobby CNC users, larger companies may not entertain you or else cost you a fortune. Some desktop CNC machines ( I have a stepcraft myself) will hold a hot wire cutter and a hobbyist might be more approachable. Nonetheless, I found the company below, they might be worth an email.

http://www.thecncfactory.com/hotwire-cutting/

All the best and please share how you get on. 8)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I figured I'd dump this here.

I recall in the past some members looking for foam terrain. Thomarillion out of Germany makes dungeon revolutions, which may solve your problems. Basically, it's square grids cut on styrofoam. I think it has lots of potential for things that like to be square, like sci-fi, Dwarves and possibly Dol Guldur. Because it's pea-foam, you will need to use a hot wire cutter or have a giant, static-filled mess.

For more dynamic foam-filled goodness, check out their partner, Ziterdes.de. I have some of their stuff and it's of medium to good quality on the casting. It is, however, fairly cheap and very durable and light.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is it purely the snowflake hex shape your looking for? Or the hill/countours inlucded. You could easily cut that using a bandsaw and jig. CNC would be a more expensive approach.