All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Post subject: Guidance for eagle conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone
I'm trying to replicate this scene with the Eagles attacking the wargs. Just wondering if anyone had recommendations for either pre built or hand made trees that would be malleable enough to get that bit of a bow and be thick enough to pin the flappy jerk on there. Also has anyone tried converting the plastic kit and was it particularly hard?
Bit worried about having to greenstuff the feathers.
Thanks, any help would be really appreciated bit lost atm
 Post subject: Re: Guidance for eagle conversion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi mate, not tried this sort of conversion myself, but I use brass rod for pinning large metals together & it works a treat, even with the weight of the pieces.

If you wanted something thicker you could maybe use a heavy-duty paperclip as an armature for the trunk? I think your main problem is going to be making the base weighty enough to stop it toppling with the angle of the eagle ; that said there are some good sellers on ebay that provide small ball bearings / base weights that should solve this.

Hope this helps :)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You may be able to find some pre-constructed trees that will bend like that, however I have found that the larger armatures are not designed to bend down the middle, especially the coniferous ones. Model Christmas trees for Christmas villages are based on the bottle brush method and are quite bendy.

That leaves making your own. You can refer to any number of model train books and magazines for making different trees. I prefer to use florist's wire, which you can buy at craft shops. Look at the railroad modeler's sites and publications to learn how to do this. Even if it doesn't work for eagles, trees are seldom wasted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
That leaves making your own. You can refer to any number of model train books and magazines for making different trees. I prefer to use florist's wire, which you can buy at craft shops. Look at the railroad modeler's sites and publications to learn how to do this. Even if it doesn't work for eagles, trees are seldom wasted.

Ditto GKA on the florist wire, or wire in general. You could also using a plastic armature like the woodland scenics conifers and using a flame to gentle compromise the article allowing you to get a bend. Patience and care though because they can snap. But otherwise, florist wore., sculpt a trunk and dose up that loose foliage!

-Hasufel