All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

Post subject: Gondorian wall - some add ons
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had hoped to have made more progress on this than what I have. I had build the two wall pieces, then covered them with Liquitex Gesso. The Gesso puts a harden layer on the plaster of paris, gives it a white appearance and fills in the gaps between molds.

The top wall is untreated, the bottom with Gesso. Should have taken a better picture, it is not that shiny when dry and doesn't hide the details of the molds as this picture might suggest.

I have been trying to design some fighting platforms that would be off the top of the wall as I didn't want to do a full tower. Did some dry fits of blocks together, took apart, tried again until I had what I thought I liked. Glued the pieces together, added Gesso and then decided I didn't like it.

Broke it apart.

Will keep the bigger pieces for a debris field.

Decided to step away from the project and since it was a sunny day took some pictures.

Once I figure out the fighting platforms, might have to do another window sill project.

Last edited by Mapper on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - progress
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Took a step back from this and decided to go a different direction.

My original design on the left and what I decided to go with on the right.

I wasn't too happy with the left, especially when I went overboard and was adding blocks connecting all the half circles, too heavy and too many blocks I would have to cast.

New design.

With the battle platforms dry fitted on

Found some styrofoam blocks at the local hardware store when I first got the mold for the walls.

Hot glued on

Will work on the back wall now, glue the two halves together and then do the top.

This project is only a top part of a wall, and only a portion of a wall - I do not plan to do a whole wall with gates, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had to shave some blocks to fit, when I fit blocks together they aren't as tight as depicted on mold 200. Not so bad when just using one or two of the wall mold together, but when I added five together I had to shave some down to keep the design.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That looks soooo Coool.
Nice job. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, this is bothering me. I recognize the arches, but how do you get the middle ones straight? They seem to lean one direction or the other. I absolutely love this design, though.

My pyramid finally arrived. I'll have to send you some. It's a really nice mould; I think you could build some nice forts with it. Pyramid power!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GKA - Not sure if I know what you mean. The middle ones pointing out supporting the platforms are all straight, the ones on the ends of the wall look like they are leaning due to camera distortion.

Did you get the sand blasted pyramid or the smooth one?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These look awesome!

Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - do I have enough blocks?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Changes, progress and dry fitting.

Changes - I didn't want to have towers, but after trying various layouts of stairs on the back wall, I decided to cheat and say the stairs going down to the city are in a tower.

Playing around with the design, I decided to widen some supports on the sides of the walls and add statues. Statues need to be trimmed somewhat to fit better but I like how they look.

Progress - built the tower, glued the back wall onto the stryofoam and glued the two pieces together

Having done that, I decided to dryfit blocks on to it to make sure I had enough blocks to finish the wall without having to cast anymore (for this project).

Still have to do the ends, put some cardboard on top of the stryofoam to raise the floor blocks so it is even, etc, etc.

Thought it might be too wide, but after putting some unfinished figures on it, realized it was wide enough for a decent shield wall.

Now to find the time to finish the wall, paint figures, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ooh! Super cool! And big enough for a unit tray for WoTR.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Super amazing wall! Looks fabulous and very MT.
Is this 20” long? Seems massive.
I think the tower looks good and a good solution to having stairs.

Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - update
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Finished gluing it all together and with the weather nice today managed to get some primer on it. Did a grey spray paint and then lightly sprayed some white. Need to do a white dry brush but will probably do a wash of something to define the blocks better. Still want the overall appearance to be white and not too dirty.

GKA -
Quote:
big enough for a unit tray for WoTR
- more important, a fellbeast.

Stewhr
Quote:
Is this 20” long? Seems massive
- good eyes! Actually 20 3/4 inches long. 5 inches between walls and over all width (platform to back of tower) is 10 1/2 inches.

I wanted the length to fit three platforms and two siege towers. The width got away from me when I found the styrofoam blocks at Home Depot. One block was too thin but I think it might be too wide using two blocks. My original plan was to build a cardboard box to hold the blocks and be narrower to fit my storage boxes I use. Oh well, guess I will have to find a bigger box to store it in when done.

Statues will be primed and painted separately and then put on. Added another detail to the wall, White Tree of Gondor symbols.

Weta Workshop had a Gondor White Tree pin that I bought and made a mold from. https://www.wetanz.com/shop/trading-pin ... ?ref=brand

It will probably be awhile until the next update - life keeps getting in the way. :-D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amazing work there Mapper. This looks SO cool. Simply fantastic.
Thanks for showing us the progress of this wall. Can’t wait to see it on the field of battle. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Stewhr, I find posting keeps me honest in getting progress done on my projects.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really inspirational stuff here, Mapper! I really like the crest on the castle wall. Little touches like that really make a piece like this stand out.

Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - progress?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Kuribo, I had been looking for something to make the White Tree design with and thought that pin would work. It actually worked out better than I thought it would, took me trying too many press molds before I just made a mold of it.

Some progress on the wall; statues put on, wash applied, and whitened the tower.

For the tower, I did a dry brush of white and then did a light spray of white paint to finish it off.

For the statues, I ended up making molds of them and used plaster of paris so the painting surface would be all the same between statues and walls. Don't really know if it makes a difference but in my mind it does. Also don't feel bad if I 'm cutting the statues down to fit better if I make a mistake.

Redid the compass rose design in front of the tower - Stewhr had mixed smooth blocks in his design of one of his buildings - I liked it so much I tore out mine and made some smooth. Had an internal debate if I want to add the floor design in front of the other battlements also but common sense ruled out and am leaving it as it is. Of course looking at the picture I'm tempted to tear out the whole floor and redo it - design blocks need to be one block further out from the star, design blocks and compass roses added in front of other battlements, etc. Do I want to cast some more blocks or just paint it and be finished. Am I being crazy?

Will probably never make something this big again unless I make it more modular - right now the only thing to come off is the tower. While relatively light, it is a pain to hold to get the pain in around the statues, etc.

Hope to finish making the whole wall white soon.

EDIT: I am crazy. At least according to my wife. She feels that it would make the floor too busy. The floor should be covered with figures anyway. :D

Last edited by Mapper on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Stunning job. The whole wall screams minas Tirrith.
Paint it and be finished so it can be used in battle!

All the extra touches really take this to the next level.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well done thats a stunning job

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Outstanding work here, Mapper! I know it was a lot of work but it is well worth the effort and this is going to be the envy of any Gondor player. I'd love to see some pictures of it with minis and on a board when that time comes around :)

Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - finished
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Started back in May, done in July. Must be a new record for me.

Dry brushed white, another spray of white paint from a distance to even it out, done.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, kept me going. Will have battle pictures when I finish painting Minias Tirith warriors, build the assault towers and paint some orcs.

Sorry for the picture heavy post.

Had to order two more citadel guard sets to guard the wall as I paint others.

Now off to do two orc assault towers....

Post subject: Re: Gondorian wall - finished
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This looks amazing. You've inspired me to post to my WIP. I can't wait to paint mine... Still, I have some casting and construction in front of me!

Your color scheme is spot on!

The extra details really take it over the top. Not sure if I'll add similar features to my piece.

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40