All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No problem Azog, take your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Are we allowed to comment on entries as they come in? I know that they are anonymous and we aren't allowed to "campaign" but its really hard to not comment on some of the stellar entries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll have to ask the committee, please wait for a final answer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would suggest not to, as the comments might influence the opinions. I guess most of the pictures are already in the gallery system, or they will be in the future, so there's plenty of room for comments in there.

Just a thought though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The thinking of the Competition Committee and Admin on Brents question is that the One Ring competitions are meant to be fun, so you can comment if you wish.

It is a thin line between positive comment and trying to influence other members to vote for an entry, or to try and identify who's entry it is.
If this happens we will come down hard on that member. We have worked long and hard to bring the competitions to you and cheating with entries or influencing other members too much will not be tolerated. The committee is also playing a balancing act between draconian and 'anything goes' so it's a learning process for us too.

I'm sure this is OK for you all, so please keep your comments general and not things like "come on everybody..vote for this one" ;-)

-- Extra note on beginners entries ----------------

We do really want to have a level playing field for everybody so all members feel they have had a fair chance to win. For example, we are REALLY TRYING HARD to protect TRUE beginners so they can make an entry with a good chance of competing equally with other beginners.

Beginners please also note that you can enter a sculpt/conversion or diorama/terrain piece in addition to single minis. i.e. up to three entries each in the beginners category, so I hope to see more varied entries soon, with some of you able to enter something in all three areas.
Also you are eligible to enter in the One Ring Master Craftsman too so get busy. ;-)

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have one sugestion rather than question.

Is there possible to enlarge pixel size and file size for Terrain/Diorama entry next time? Because It's really hard, especially in case of Diorama, to pack all you want to display on 800x800 picture and even if you do that, It's even harder to make it fit 128kb without loosing significant portion of quality.

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

good idea!
for competitions it would make sense to increase both pixel and filesize.
(e.g. keep max. width 800 x but increas max. height to 1600 px, ma.x filesize 350 kB)

Post subject: Re: ONE RING AWARDS Rules
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dagorlad wrote:
3) Best Sculpting / Conversion Piece
A single item of 25-28mm scale figure. Proof of the conversion / sculpting process must be shown in photographic form by supplying a picture of the unfinished entry.

Does the 'proof of sculpting' photo have to be displayed with the entry or is it submitted separately? I'd like to show as much of the finished piece as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes, a brilliant paintjob might disguise a lesser sculpt/conversion. Therefore we really want to see the Greens. It's also easier for us and other members to judge what and how has been changed if it's a conversion for example. But you can add a picture of the fully-pianted version to your entry picture as well of course.

EDIT: but now that I see that not every entry has pictures of the 'green' version I have to ask the others of the committee, sorry...

Post subject: Green fingers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D Thanks, Potty.

Last edited by Natarn on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just to clarify the situation regarding entries for the conversion / sculpting category (both Open and Beginner).

For THIS TIME and THIS TIME ONLY members can submit entries that don't have evidence of the conversion or sculpt in the picture they submit.
For this category we are more interested in the sculpt or conversion than the finished paint job so members should take this into account when voting. The finished paint job is the important criteria in the best painted mini category not this one.

The rules state that evidence of the conversion / sculpt MUST be submitted with the entry, but we have decided to give you lot a chance this time with pieces of work that haven't got WIP pictures. Next time, any that don't have this evidence in the submission will be rejected. You have been warned so get those WIP picture taken as you go. It is a good idea anyway as we reserve the right to ask for WIP pictures of any One Ring Awards entries. We might still ask for WIP pictures of any entry and do reserve the right to remove them from the Awards if we see fit.

One thing to say though, members who submit evidence of conversion in this category stand a better chance when the committee judge the Committee Choice Award due to following the rules fully.

We should be able to give a visual example of suitable and non-suitable entries for next time. Hopefully this should help.

WIP = Work in Progress

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Azog. :D

I'll put some little sculpting pics in as well, then.
I'm a stickler for rules myself! :wink:

Cheers,
Nat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Haldir_sfan.pl wrote:
I have one sugestion rather than question.

Is there possible to enlarge pixel size and file size for Terrain/Diorama entry next time? Because It's really hard, especially in case of Diorama, to pack all you want to display on 800x800 picture and even if you do that, It's even harder to make it fit 128kb without loosing significant portion of quality.

Any thouhts from the competition committee (or technology of the system) for this request? It would be nice to have a bit more real estate to show off the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Any issues re the technical specification of uploaded entries falls under the domain of Dagorlad. I know Alan has been very busy coding all the stuff, and even listening and adapting bits and pieces you lot can't see to help the Committee do their work.

I'm sure Alan has his reasons for the current limits on pixel size and file size. I'm afraid I cannot answer why these figures have been chosen but assume there has to be certain restrictions to make the site run OK. Maybe a very large upload might cause severe problems and we don't want that.

I think it's best to forget about this issue for the moment and concentrate on getting entries submitted. At least everyone is on a level playing field with the restriction. Any entries with url's to off site additional pictures have /will be removed. I suppose part of the skill of the competition is creative photography to help show of your work to the best advantage.

When this awards is finished then we will be reviewing the whole process. I expect this question will be raised along with others at this point.

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It's a good suggestion and I'll make the changes for the next competition - it wouldn't be fair to change it for this one, since we're a week away from the voting phase.

The limitations were set for the galleries to reduce the huge files that people were submitting, and the two systems share some configuration settings. I can split them out though and have a separate set of values for the competition.

Thanks Haldir_sfan.pl for the original suggestion and also for bumping it BrentS.

Post subject: Deadline extension?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:shock: Deadline extension? :?: :?: :?: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:59 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The date has been extended to:-

Status: Accepting Entries - entries close 04 Oct 2007 01:00

This is in part due to it being the first time we have ran this new system. Alan (Dagorlad) has recoded the system from scratch and we are still getting into the swing with it.

So there is still time to get your entries in especially perhaps a Master Craftsman one. We know there wasn't much lead time this time, but ther next theme will be announced at the end of the voting this time, so you will have no excuses. :wink:

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I posted an explanation in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'll get back to pic size question. What will be the limit in pixels and bytes for Master Craftsman and Diorama? It's important to plan photos right ;)

Cheers

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

800 x 800 at this stage

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next