All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ONE RING AWARDS Rules
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dagorlad wrote:
3) Best Sculpting / Conversion Piece
A single item of 25-28mm scale figure. Proof of the conversion / sculpting process must be shown in photographic form by supplying a picture of the unfinished entry.

Natarn Ulka wrote:
Does the 'proof of sculpting' photo have to be displayed with the entry or is it submitted separately? I'd like to show as much of the finished piece as possible.

I'll pick this one again... Is it necessary to have the wip in the very same picture that we enter, or can we simply PM the wip to the Comittee and save that space to other views of the 'green', etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The rules are not explicit on this, is was something that was collectively considered import to include but due to the complexity of deciding on a complete rule set was in retrospect probably never fully discussed.

It seems a bit unfair to insist that sculpting / conversion submit a WIP but the other categories you only have to supply them on request. It obviously needs more discussion.

I guess the answer is either, evidence is required according to the rules but we were a bit lax last time due to it being the first time. I reckon the answer at the moment has to be either. The problem I have at the moment is if we need to ban entries where members don't have a WIP of the work.

I will have to have a word with Alan about this and see what he thinks.

Azog

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A suggestion - the entry pic/s willl be solely of the finished piece, but you also submit a corresponding WIP pic/pics to another folder to which only the competition committee have complete viewing access. The WIP should show something of the sculpting process/scratchbuilding process, or even painting process if there are any concerns regarding whether people painted the entries submitted in their name.

I would prefer to keep the pics that are voted upon solely for the finished piece as w have little enough space to show off the finished items.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have no problem with the need to submitt wip pics. I think they are one way to know the authenticity of the work. My issue is more with terrain (specially big pieces) for instance, where you need to show different views, some closeups, etc... all in 800x800 pixels. If you also have to use that space for a couple of wip pics, there will be even less space to show the actual model.

I suggest that instead of posting using the entry file to show the wip, we simply send the wips to other folder, like Dorth said, or submitt them to the Comp. Comittee via PM. Ends up beeing the same I guess, but saves the members that extra space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This seems a good idea but we will discuss it with Alan etc. after these awards to get it sorted properly. I think in real life, most of the time we are quite happy with the entries submitted, we probably just need to check the occasional odd entry perhaps. I think you are quite right saying we don't want to take valuable space displaying part finished work when people have got to vote on what is seen. We always knew he rules would probably need tweaking a bit after a couple of Awards have been run.

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Azog shrieked:
Quote:
We always knew the rules would probably need tweaking a bit after a couple of Awards have been run

Do we get to see pics of tweaking WIP? :wink:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Do the entries for the Master Craftsman category need to be in the same scale as the rest (28mm ish LOTR SB)? Or can we use other scales?

In all the other categories there's a clear reference to that scale, but there's nothing about it on this categorie. I take it its possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, here's my question, on the models we use, can we use parts from seperate games like Warhammer Fantasy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gwaryan.. you answer is easy ...

Quote:
The modification of miniatures, terrain items, sculpts etc. with smaller, commercially available, accessories is allowed as embellishment to the submitted piece.

... which basically means, yes you can BUT we are talking small additions here, NOT the use of a large pieces and trying to pass them off as your own work.

As an example, you might use a Warhammer skeleton as the skeletal remains of a dwarf in Mora, or a shield, that sort of thing. This is where WIP pictures are useful as people can clearly see what is 'scratch built' and what isn't. This might effect how people judge your entry of course.

MacGothmog... your question is difficult to answer. :roll:

The rules don't explicitly state the scale, but to keep a level playing field I think we should use the agreed scale of the rest of the categories. This shows other members, how something fantastic can be created, modified, painted at the usual scale.

However, you question has raised the interesting idea of having a special competition using perhaps larger scales or smaller scales. It's something worth thinking about certainly.

So I'm sorry, keep within the scale guidelines for now for the Master Craftsman entries.

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

in the rules, you mention that you can "only" have four entries for the entire awards. But I wonder, can I have two entries in the same catgeory?
For example, can I have two entries in the diorama category and then two in the single miniature category???

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No, you can't.

You can only make one entry in each category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quite Correct... here it is in the General Rules

5. The aim of the General Beginners category is to encourage True Beginners to the hobby. With this in mind, any beginner is eligible to enter one Painted Miniature, one Terrain Piece or Diorama and one Sculpting / Conversion Piece for each awards, i.e a maximum of Three pieces. This is the equivalent of a more experienced member submitting an entry into each of the Three Open categories.

As stated above, ALL members are eligible to enter the 'One Ring Master Craftsman' - LOTR Themed Challenge so everybody can potentially enter a MAXIMUM of FOUR entries for each awards.

Azog

Forum Guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ok, thanks for your help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

could i enter the september contest or am in not "active" enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Time to liven up this thread....
I was wondering about the Beginners category. I'm not sure I understand a piece from the General Rules Clause 6 which says:

"In addition, if you are good at one aspect of the hobby, say terrain making, but poor at miniature painting then you will NOT be considered a beginner. You will be expected to enter the appropriate Open Category. If you have an entry accepted for the General Beginners Category you will not be allowed to also enter a Open Category in the current competition. i.e you cannot be a beginner if you are entering any of the other categories."

I, for instance, can only paint minis (never had the chance to lay my hands on terrain, or dioramas for that matter). Does this mean I must enter whatever work I have in one of the Open categories and am thus not a Beginner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sculpting/Conversion

My suggestion.

Only submit a photo of the finished sculpt/conversion without any paint applied.

I.e no primer no paint at all.

Reason: Last time I voted only for those that showed the sculpt/conversion. Interestingly enough the figures which looked stuning and showed grate painted conversions with no sculpt/conversion/green shots were well voted for. More than I think they deserved considering the presented photodid not comply with the rules.

Why bother with separate accounts for work in progress photos? Would not the finshed sculpt/conversion be clear enough? Putty is usually green/buff or of a different colour to grey plastic or silver metal.

I cannot see how a half finished sculpt photo is of much use?

Besides.. if you then paint it well can not youenter it in the painting competition as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Krol wrote:
Time to liven up this thread....
I was wondering about the Beginners category. I'm not sure I understand a piece from the General Rules Clause 6 which says:

"In addition, if you are good at one aspect of the hobby, say terrain making, but poor at miniature painting then you will NOT be considered a beginner. You will be expected to enter the appropriate Open Category. If you have an entry accepted for the General Beginners Category you will not be allowed to also enter a Open Category in the current competition. i.e you cannot be a beginner if you are entering any of the other categories."

I, for instance, can only paint minis (never had the chance to lay my hands on terrain, or dioramas for that matter). Does this mean I must enter whatever work I have in one of the Open categories and am thus not a Beginner?

Sorry Krol, I missed your question.

The intention behind the beginners category is to give those people who are new to the hobby a chance to enter a competition and win a prize. It's generally aimed at younger members who've only just started out, rather than people who have been doing the hobby for a while but are try something new.

So, for example, I can paint and make terrain, but have never tried sculpting before. But I can't enter a sculpt into the beginners category because I'm not really a beginner after all.

I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks, :yay: that makes sense. I guess I'll just try the beginners category for now and see how it goes.
Cheers 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I thought the theme would be the chapters of the books in sequence, buut the current theme is 'magic'.

I was expecting the theme to be 'a long expected party' or something like that.

:no:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

eBob wrote:
I thought the theme would be the chapters of the books in sequence, buut the current theme is 'magic'.

I was expecting the theme to be 'a long expected party' or something like that.

:no:

It is, yep. I forgot that the theme is hard coded into the competition gallery. I'm on my way...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next