All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So there won't be any non-miniature related contests anymore?

I was really looking forward to polishing up my Cirith Ungol scenario and getting it finished for the ORA's, but now it looks like Gaming Scenarios or Articles won't be part of the competitions...

Why not? :(
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, you're right - the scenarios/house rules category has been dropped from the OR Awards. The reason is simple - we just weren't getting enough entries (only 1 or two per competition) and the general quality of those that we did receive just wasn't on par with the rest of the awards.

It's unfortunate, but that's how things stand at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very nice to see the competitions are back!

for me this will be a great motivation again as I really like the idea - I've said this many times already - of painting or modelling along with other members, even if or because they are spread all over the globe.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with Bea, it's always exciting and motivating to know that fellow hobbyists from all over the globe join together to show their talent and work. Plus I like the fact of having a deadline, lol.
What would I be without deadlines,...
Good to see this competition's back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

With 38 days to go I cant wait! I have never entered into a competition like this before so i am eager to do something special. Still, i may just stick with what I know...

Btw if it starts in 38 days, does that mean that we must have submitted all pics and details before then?

Also how long does voting last for?

And also how do we enter our entries? sorry for the silly question but i couldnt find the answer,

thanks, jack
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When the Awards start (that is, in 38 days) members can upload their pictures into the approproate categories. From that day, the Awards are officialy running. You will be able to upload your work for a month - it might be a few days shorter but there will be plenty of time. This is mostly because we have to check all the entries and see that eveything goes smoothly. And it gives you all a bit of extra time.

After that, voting will start. How voting goes is in the Awards Rules and FAQ. Voting lasts for one month as well. Don't be fooled, it's always hard to decide. After that a few days will be needed to sort everything out. Finally, the results will be announced.

Uploading your entries is similiar to the Gallery system. All you have to do is go to "Competition Categories" under 'One Ring Awards' in the left menu once the Awards are running. Go to the desired category and all you have to do is click on the upload button.

It's all very simple actually, but if you feel uncertain about something you can always ask. Plus, eveything is checked daily by several staff members. Above all, just wait and see for yourself, there's nothing complicated about it. All you have to do now is focus on your entries. You've been informed about what's allowed and what's not, that should be enough for now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

thanks, i understand now :) (me and my slow brain :roll: )
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

oh good some one asked my question for me i better get started on my project

Éomer
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:40 pm 
I am hoping to enter something this time, it all depends on how much time I get after finishing my Rogue Painters Painting Contest entries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is there any reason we can't show WIP threads of submissions we are planning? I'm working on one now but paused a bit and didn't post pictures yet.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

@BrentS - Technically, no, there's no reason why you can't.

We intend making the competition anonymous as it's running, so you can't see who has entered which picture, until after you've voted.

It's up to you if you want people to know who it was that painted your figure though, so you can post images of it in your gallery or the WIP thread if you really want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

just a question. I have not really under stood when it starts.

do we have till september (11days) to post our entries, or is it in september you start taking entries?

thanks

andre
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:44 am 
It is my understanding that it is 11 days from when the event starts, entries can be submitted from then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tidoco is correct. The Awards will start accepting entries from the 1st of September and will continue until Sept 30th. After that, the voting will start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dagorlad wrote:
We intend making the competition anonymous as it's running, so you can't see who has entered which picture, until after you've voted.

Ah ha. I missed that part somewhere. Okay then, I'll keep my pictures private for now.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And arew you going to take some steps against people who enter pics already submitted somwhere?

I mean, I started project far before Awards wa announced and it's posted on forums with a lot of WiP Pics etc.

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BrentS wrote:
I'll keep my pictures private for now.

Yes please, this is one of the most important things to keep the Awards fun. Otherwise members might vote for persons they like instead of work they like. Everyone has his own signature baked in his/her work of course, but that's an extra reason to suprise people with something very stunning and unseen from your hands. Only we, the committee, know during voting who made what - which gives us the chance to make sure there are no cheaters.

@Haldir: normally no. The policy towards older work goes no further than the OR itself. For example, if a long time registrated/known member submits something that has been in his gallery for months we'll probably refuse the entry - allowing the member to upload something else. An entry that has won prizes on other sites but new to the OR community is okay as well, although not really liked. Might even be refused. Uploading work that has already been entered or even won prizes in past Awards on the OR is immediatly considered as cheating.

Work that has been in progress for a while is totally okay. Your entry isn't supposed to be a total secret and just finished of course, as long as not everyone on the OR who's about to vote knows that it's yours there's no problem. The newer and the more secret your work is the better though.

Keep in mind though that every case is different, examination is mostly required (make sure you have some WiP pictures!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hmmm i've started a wip on mine already, didn't know it was going to be anonymous :?

though I think I won't show any more pics from now on.

btw is it fine to enter it on another comp around the same time? (starts on the 9th of september)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi Razhburz,
the version 2.0 rules don't specifically exclude an entry that has or will be entered elsewhere. (That may change perhaps as the new rules are refined.) Exclusion is definite for previously placed items in the One Ring Awards. At the moment we are more concerned that an entry is your own work, cannot be entered in multiple categories and doesn't use major, commercially available items.

In general I would say it would be nice to limit your entry to the One Ring, but I am realistic to realise that people frequent other hobby sites and may wish to enter a submitted piece elsewhere.

If the rules don't define a course of action then it is up to the Committee and Admin team to discuss each entry on a case by case basis. Entry into the One Ring Awards means you accept the following statement
Quote:
1. Members who enter the One Ring Awards agree to be bound by the rules of the competition. Any decision taken by either the Site Administrators or Competition Committee regarding members' entries is final.

This is to allow a simple set of rules to be used instead of listing ALL the exceptions to the rules. In the end, the team will decide and give a member a ruling if their entry is rejected from taking part in the Awards.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually have a couple of items that I'm working on some of which I have shown some basic WIPs. The final pics will probably be recognizable but that's okay with me. I'll keep the rest of my WIPs private so as to add to the suspense.