All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 am

Post subject: One Ring Dice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

BilboOfTheWhiteTower recently bought himself some customised dice and they look stunning.

That got me thinking about perhaps doing some custom dice for members of the One Ring. TLA did it a while ago and they looked pretty good (I have a set), and so I sat down this morning and mocked up some possible dice designs.

The design will only be on the 6 (or the 1), and the rest of the dice will have the normal number of dots.

NOTE: these are just photoshopped images, and I am not 100% certain if it's actually possible to get them onto the dice, but I just wanted to get a feel for how much interest there might be among the community here.

I am expecting a set of 8 dice will cost about US$8 (£5).

Edit: adjusted the cost to more closely reflect the ridiculous exchange rates we have to deal with these days.

Last edited by Dagorlad on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice one Allan, def interested in a set or three.

I'd go with the symbol replacing the 6. We all know that 6's are better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd very much be interested in a set or two or three as well. I bought packs of the GW Gondor and Rohan dice, and need more to balance out my collection.

I'd have the picture on the 1's though, so if anyone (like me) has the original GW dice, they can't confuuse and 1s or sixes (and it makes rolling 1's a little less terrible by replacing them with cool pictures 8) ).

April: 0/3 choices complete

Yearly total: 50/74 models done O.o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's a great idea!
I agree with CoftWR's. replace the 1.
OR... replace the 1 & 6.
Put "The One Ring" as the 1.
A cool design as the 6.
Or would that be more confusing?
Sorry if I rambled :oops:

typing out load can be a bad idea, sometimes....

Last edited by geezer of rhun on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really like the Rohan and the "One Ring" designs the best...and you can count me in for a set! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The cost would double to have two designs on the dice - you pay for each side you want customised. So I think it'd be best to leave it as only one design. Besides, there would be endless arguments about which side was a 6 and which was a 1.

I'm not sure which way to go with this either - do I just do one design and sell all copies of that before bringing out the next design? Or do I make a big investment and get all four designs done and then offer people a choice of dice sets? The second way is a bit riskier because it could mean I get lumbered with 500 dice no one wants. And even I don't like dice that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm all over those Rohan Dice. If you made them, I'd be a couple sets for sure. However, any of the other ones look great too.

EDIT: I love the Rohan exactly as they are. However, maybe to make them "One Ring" specific, you could add some words around the Logo to reflect the One Ring. Anyway, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

perhaps a set for evil and a set for good and one design is best any more would look a bit silly. i got a job now and id definently buy some my dice are weighted incorectly and roll 6's like once a year
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd love to see a White Tree design, but I'm still a fan of them all. I agree that they need to have something "One-Ring" about it, though. The designs are very nice, but they're just LoTR dice, not O.R. dice the way they are now (Except the fourth one, obviously). Not like I have any helpful ideas on how to do that... :oops:

Though I'm pretty handy with Photoshop, so if you want some more designs I'd be happy to contribute those as ideas instead of just throwing out vague suggestions. Heck, you could almost make a contest out of it; I've seen a few good photoshoppers on here. :P

As for your dilemma, I would mark down how many sets people are willing to buy before you decide. Try to get a ballpark figure, at the very least. If enough people want them, maybe it'd be worth getting all four, or maybe even only 2-3. It would be nice to have variety but we all understand the risk you'd have to take and couldn't blame you if you decided for a single set at first.

No matter what you decide to do, I'm down for a set. 8)
I'm with gaarew. Replace the 6!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with General Haar in that I like the dice, (I'd buy the Rohan one) but there isn't much to distinguish it from other LOTR dice sets. One thing that always jumped out at me was your avatars, of the One Ring. I don't know if it would be possible to transfer a detailed emblem of the One Ring across but it would also tie in nicely with the site name. That with the elvish writing glowing would be interesting (to me at any rate) Just a basic observation (you've probably all thought of this already :oops: )

1 should be replaced with the symbol 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, I agree that the designs are not very OR-specific. But we have about 12mm to fit something on that is recognisably OR-ish and I am not sure how fine the details can be.

Dave (BotWT) - the BB design you had done, was it very detailed? It looks pretty fine on the little photo, but it's hard to make out any great details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent stuff put me down for at least two sets.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ideally, I'd like to see matching sets for good and evil alliances - Rohan vs Isengard, Mordor vs Gondor, Dwarves vs Goblins, and a couple of others like Elves, Hobbits, Easterlings, and Southrons.

But obviously not all at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe this is a bit obvious, but why not just have an image of the 'one Ring' replacing the one? As much as I hate the symbol replacing the one, it's just fitting in this case. In all others I'd like to see the cool symbol replacing the 6. If you need something to alleviate the chagrin of rolling a one, put a picture of a boob on that side...

Do a trial run first of a few hundred or so and see how they go before committing to more sets. Then get a list of names together a bit like Eureka's 100/300 clubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The One Ring is great as it (obviously) represents the site. The others are not so useful and have already been covered by GW, if you had say Harad that would be better (for me anyway).

When I had the recent TLA dice made I got them done in 2 colours to represent Good/Evil or Hero/Warrior dice rather than having different graphics. It costs no extra for multiple colour dice, but you will be forking out a lot of $$ if you have different symbols, you really need 500 of one dice type to make a good return.

I made 600 for TLA this year and could have sold more and 1000 a couple of years ago that just about sold, so please be careful on how many you order.

This year I put the graphic on the 6 as this seems to be the new standard on the latest games and the dice do seem to favour it. The old TLA dice seemed to roll nothing but TLA's when on the one :sad:

It might be an idea to look at http://www.dice.co.uk you might get a better exchange rate, 500 dice 20p each +vat/tax - I can email their full price list if you like.

So, If I were you I'd go for 1 graphic and a couple of colours as members will probably want both and possibly sell more and go for 1 style only to start, it won't be any cheaper to have different designs made up to start with, guage the interest first before investing.

I'll take a set of OR dice, maybe 2; and if there was a race specific dice and depending on who it was for I'd possibly take 3 packs of one colour and 1 of another.

Good luck and give us a shout if you want to discuss any pro's and cons.
If you have several UK orders I could post them on for you, it may be cheaper that way. Including padded envelope: 62p for 1 set, 88p for 2 sets.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Actually, I would rather see the One-Ring itself as the 1. The whatever race/nation as the 6 - that way there is no scope for confusion.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks like you can realy get very detailed dice, after looking at that site hithero posted

You can count me in for a set if/when you do them 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Azure Rathalos wrote:
Looks like you can realy get very detailed dice, after looking at that site hithero posted

You can count me in for a set if/when you do them 8)

Funnily enough, the yellow dice with the Lion Rampant on that site is the dice made for one of my local clubs.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd definitely be interested in a set of One Ring dice! Good idea Alan 8)

I do think a picture of the One ring itself would be better too though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:
Maybe this is a bit obvious, but why not just have an image of the 'one Ring' replacing the one? As much as I hate the symbol replacing the one, it's just fitting in this case. In all others I'd like to see the cool symbol replacing the 6. If you need something to alleviate the chagrin of rolling a one, put a picture of a boob on that side...

Do a trial run first of a few hundred or so and see how they go before committing to more sets. Then get a list of names together a bit like Eureka's 100/300 clubs.

yeah, that sounds spot on.

I am also interested