All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Should we have a community spirit award?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Community Spirit Award
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You know there are "financial contributor" awards and "article writer" awards? How about a community spirit award (for those that are really helpful, especially to us newcomers!)?

For instance; people like gaarew always seem to be helping everyone all of the time (and in a very nice way). I think people like John (and there are lots of you!) deserve more than the odd gold coin from fellow members, something like a recognised award.

Surely community spirit here on OR is just as important as who wins 1st place in the competitions?

Anyway, it's just an idea and there's still lots to think about! (I'm not sure how you would earn it: how long you had to keep helping people, would there be a vote as to whether people deserve it etc. if anyone's got any ideas they would be much appreciated!).

(By the way, the poll question is just to see if people want something like a community award, it would not necessarily be a badge under people's names!).

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

If something like this were to take place, perhaps we could accept nominations for the award and then have a public vote on the top ten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dagorlad wrote:
If something like this were to take place, perhaps we could accept nominations for the award and then have a public vote on the top ten

That is probably the best way to do it although there will certainly be a lot of bias involved. For example, I tend to post regularly in the Army Help forum but members sometimes dislike my suggestions and become defensive/combative rather than acknowledging the advice. Thus, I'd be very surprised if they would vote for me for the reward despite the time I spent trying to assist them. :roll: I'm not the only one in this situation too.

Also, what does the "community spirit" entail exactly? Is it specifically for helping newer members or simply anyone asking questions about rules, army lists ect...? I'm a little dubious about it though. The current reward system is far more concrete and a good representation of a member's efforts to contribute to the site. This suggestion sounds more like a popularity contest than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Angrok pretty much nailed it, this would really be just a thing to encourage people into helping each other because they want an award.

Besides, if you are helping people, I would not think you'd be bothered with an award..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with what has been said - its a great idea, but this could just mean that people use this to get another 'prize'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Spiwit, Centuwion? :o

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Isn't that kind of the point of being able to give Gold Coins? I think the Gold Coin system works well. If you appreciate what someone has done or said, give them a coin. The only downside to the system is that sometimes coins are a little difficult to come by. I always try to keep one or two on hand to pass out to those who are particularly helpful and/or worthy.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the spirit in which you have suggested the idea.
I think you would like to recognize helpful people and that is a thoughtful and noble idea.
Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, some would use this occasion to beneift themselves. A sad commentary, but true.
If there was a way to do this, I think it would be a positive way to acknowledge the contributions of members that where outside the realm of "Best Talented (you fill in the blank)".
The people on this site that are genuinely passionate about the game and the community are the reason "we" come back. The imput and help they offer foster an atmosphere of inclusion and acceptance.

A very nice idea King Elessar! 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Even if people were o do it only for hemselves, it would still help other members. Think about that. And while you're doing that, give ME the first award, because I deserve it. :-D

Post subject: Ok...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, I realise now that this idea won't work. And it was just an idea.
(Though by the way - the poll is still supporting "yes"...)! :lol:

geezer of rhun wrote:
A very nice idea King Elessar! 8)

Thanks! :)
Though I hope I've shown that I'm very grateful for all the help that you lot have given to me since I joined! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Army of the Dead would win all the time as they have more spirits in their community (hang on, what about all those drinking contests - ah, but beer/mead does not count as spirits....)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject: Re: Community Spirit Award
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

King Elessar the Uniter wrote:
For instance; people like gaarew always seem to be helping everyone all of the time (and in a very nice way). I think people like John (and there are lots of you!) deserve more than the odd gold coin from fellow members, something like a recognised award.

I totaly agree, people like gaarew are great at giving advice and whilst I'd love to be giving out Gold Coins all the time to these helpful people, I want to save some for the time when someone gives me some almost life changing help with gaming, painting etc. An One Ring award for Community Spirit. Great Idea :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is a very noble effort King Elessar and I applaud you for it. :yay: I see how something this noble can become unseemly very quickly if its not taken in the spirit you intended. Now that you mention it I'll have to donate all my coins to John. He did a very nice thing for me (and he really didn't want to).

This bring me to another question, please excuse I'm new here, after I've donated my coins to John how will I be able to reward someone else in the future?

Rob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The ways to earn coins are by writing articles, be given them for be helpful, and winning in the OR Awards. There are one or two more, and I believe you'll find a complete list HERE.

Enjoy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks. I'm still unclear about this whole ranks thing but I'm sure I'll figure it out one day.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Basically, you buy 12 items with your coins and you get up a rank. It doesn't mean ANYTHING whatsoever, it's just fun. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You're also rewarded with One Gold coin for each British Pound donated to the website (as I found out the other day). Worth mentioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Red Corsairs wrote:
You're also rewarded with One Gold coin for each British Pound donated to the website (as I found out the other day). Worth mentioning.

What if you do it in dollars or euro, does it give you gold coins in depending on currency conversion?

example 1$=2£ (it doesn't really)
if you donated 1$, would you get 2 gold coins?

Back to the topic though,
i think it would be a good idea, because some people may not be very talented at painting or conversions(no offence intended), they may not be good at writing articles either, but they may, on the other hand, be very kind and helpful, but with gold coins so hard to come by, they may not be rewarded for their friendliness and general community spiritness. That's why i think this is a good idea, but whoever awards the -umm- award, should be careful in ensuring that it actually is someone interested in helping the community.

Look at my gallery please!