All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

quite strange, thats like shooting yourself in the foot... :?

As said, we are basically advertising for them - and they couldn't give a rat's posterior.

regards

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why boardgamegeek? I mean, it is a site with good reviews about boardgames. If i consider buying a new game i go to boardgamegeek(and other sites) to read if the game is suitable for me.

I don't understand GW, if they limit their products and "advertising" only to their one site, how will they get new players and buyers?
Or it is GW doesnt want new buyers, if so, it's a pretty absurd compagny

All those sites are just giving the-yet-to-come-players an idea what the game/product is about. Why should GW end this free advertisments? It isn't that their games are so poor rated on boardgamegeek.

I still don't understand it, and the more i think about it, the more i see no reason to shut down all those sites.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This makes as much sense as a clothing company refusing to let their goods be sold.

Have any other big LotR forums been told to shut down yet?
Maybe if we all hide, they won't realise the is forum is here and we can come back when they calm down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Interesting thread.

This takes me back to when Kev from the old TLA asked me to do a character based on PJ's cameo in FoTR. Unfortunately nothing ever came of it as his interest in the project and the hobby wained and eventually the site as it originally stood went under.

Not all bad news though as I entered the sculpt in the OR awards here and won. 8)

Still have the sculpt kicking about somewhere until I decide what to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The use of PJ's likeness would no doubt have caused TLA some problems, not from GW but from New Line Cinema and possibly PJ himself.

We're going with a figure that is not a part of the books or movie and can be used as a specific character that does not have any SBG or WOTR profile as yet (we may even run a competition to design a profile for him).

I've been thinking on how this C&D campaign could affect us and probably the only thing I need to do would be to include a disclaimer in the galleries indicating that the figures depicted in the images are "copyright GW." We don't use any of their imagery or intellectual property in any part of our site or in our URL so they cannot have any complaint about us at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You can't put a disclaimer in saying that all figures in the galleries are copyright GW because not all of them are. What about the scratch sculpted minis and those made by other manufacturers? If you did put it in, then you would have to limit the galleries to purely GW minis only. Either that or have a completely seperate gallery for minis other than GW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Why not have a generic archer type character, who could just as easily be mistaken for Robin of Loxley as he could for a certain famous Dragon slayer?

You know...

Brad the Bowman.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dave, I wouldn't word it to say that all of the figures were exclusively copyright GW. I'll do something like this:

"The copyright to the models shown in these images is the property of their respective manufacturers and no challenge to that ownership is intended."

And I love that PJ by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah, yes Alan. That would work.

You're smarter than the average bear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dagorlad wrote:
Dave, I wouldn't word it to say that all of the figures were exclusively copyright GW. I'll do something like this:

"The copyright to the models shown in these images is the property of their respective manufacturers and no challenge to that ownership is intended."

Looking at the Legal bit on the GW site regarding IP issues -

Quote:
Photos of Painted Models

We encourage fellow hobbyists to show off their painting skills by taking photos of their miniatures and putting the (sic) on the site. Please remember to correctly credit the IP - "miniature © Games Workshop 2003. All rights reserved. Used without permission - model painted by xxxxxxx"

Click here for link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Usually the "topic" of the photo is the paintjob, copyright the painter, not the miniature sculpt underneath the paint. Unless the painter claimed the miniature was sculpted by them, I'd be very surprised if GW could enforce that in a court.

But just the threats from a big company that can afford a 1500 pts army of chaos lawyers, can bully individuals to take photos or even whole web sites offline. The cost of not doing so would be too much for individuals. And IPR is always foggy terrain, where the one that can afford the best lawyers gets to define the terms unless they are clearly trying to overextend themselves.

Actually, according to what gaarew found out, GW is acting in this regard quite reasonably, even if I think they are extending their IP rights a bit too far. No need to awaken the sleeping bear. No idea about what has caused the draconian behaviour towards boardgamegeek, though. Maybe ripping GW pics on to their reviews?

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's not just BoardGameGeek that has been hit recently, but several other sites as well, including, Librarium Online, Turn Signals on a Land Raider, BloodBowlTalk and a number of others that I can't think of at the moment.

It's a bizarre situation really because each of these sites are actually bolstering sales of Games Workshop's products free of charge.

If we ever receive one of these C&D, my first task will be to send an eloquent letter of complaint to Jervis Johnson. Only joking of course, but it would be tempting to demand a share of any profits from sales of minis and rules from our members, since we are providing GW a service in promoting their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah, when I was considering getting into GW stuff, Board Game Geek was the first place I went to get more information - It even beat out the official GW site. And of course, I eventually wound up here because GW doesn't have a forum anymore. . .
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

valpas wrote:

Actually, according to what gaarew found out, GW is acting in this regard quite reasonably, even if I think they are extending their IP rights a bit too far. No need to awaken the sleeping bear.

Good to know, as I'd hate to have to amputate both my arms seeing as I have tattoo's featuring Space Wolf chapter symbols on them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey all, an idea just hit me for a OR exclusive miniature--Figwit! Surely the name Figwit is not copywright, and making a generic elven lord who just happens to look like Bret McKenzie wouldn't be a breach of copyright, would it? :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
Hey all, an idea just hit me for a OR exclusive miniature--Figwit! Surely the name Figwit is not copywright, and making a generic elven lord who just happens to look like Bret McKenzie wouldn't be a breach of copyright, would it? :)
That would actually be a good idea; and he could be used in any scenario with elves in it.

Figwit. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: island of sheppey, kent, england, europe, earth, milky way, the universe!
what about a figure where you can attach one of to heads (human or elf) and if he could hold a sword or a bow and he could fit int o any situation and you could call him figwit gw would have nothing like it and couldnt tell you off or would this be to hard to sculpt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ilike the general townfolk type of idea on the sculpt.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The townsfolk seems like a good idea especially because there aren't that many well sculpted/afordable ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

First, sorry for my bad English.
Someone already said reasons against townsfolk and I think he is right. You need miniature that can be used as proxy for some character with rules/profile. There are already a lot miniatures of generic human/elf/dwarf hero characters, so you need something more “exclusive”.
As Harad collector I can give few suggestions:
Guard of the Serpent cult: there can be a little copyright problem with this one but you can contact the owner of copyright of this picture and ask him politely. This is how the Serpent guard should look like – not those GW miniatures with huge horns on back. (I can't post picture but you can find front cower of rulebook fr MERP - Greater Harad - I was referring to a guy in black armor riding a camel)
Harem guard: What else’s to say? Big, fat arab guy with open face (not GW masked “LOTR ogre”). Avoid details that associate to GW but that’s easy with this figure. And more realistic representation of “fatness”.
Masai: i hate WETA/GW representation of half-trolls. I imagine half-trolls as tall, strong black warrior – and first association is Masai warrior – you can’t ask anything more generic.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next