All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm

Post subject: Why so many sites.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How come there are OR and TLA, when we clearly only need one of them, why didn't they merge a long time ago. Are there really any major diferences?
 Post subject: Re: Why so many sites.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I find that One-ring has a much stronger emphasis on the hobby side (painting and modelling), while TLA seems to be more of a gaming (and tournaments) site.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I too have wondered why we have two sites, both seem to need updates too..

I've noticed a difference between the two sites, TLA is more gaming based, all about tournaments and events, and OR is more about the hobby side of it. I personally find this site the better of the two.

Edit-
Ninja-ed by Farmer Maggot lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

that being said, TLA used to have a lot of hobby articles and such but the old site got nuked what a year ago?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Two is hardly "so many" really :? In LOTRSBG hayday there were many more sites that thrived side by side and besides the old adage "all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. If TLA and OR were to merge and went down for some reason (both sites have lost all content before) then you end up with nothing.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This isn't the first time a topic like this has been made. Does The Palantir still exist? Never bothered to try that one. Wait until the Hobbit comes out, these sites will be booming again. But between O-R & TLA, I find that O-R to be the more active site out of the two. If I check the new posts here once daily, there will be two full web pages notifying of new posts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sacrilege83 wrote:
This isn't the first time a topic like this has been made. Does The Palantir still exist? Never bothered to try that one. Wait until the Hobbit comes out, these sites will be booming again. But between O-R & TLA, I find that O-R to be the more active site out of the two. If I check the new posts here once daily, there will be two full web pages notifying of new posts.

Yes, thePalantir still exists, though it's not very active anymore. There might be a new post every now and then, but it's usually pretty quite. Here's the link just in case anyone wants to look around it http://thepalantir.org/ . It's got some really nicely painted figures in the gallery. It's also the first lotr forum I joined.
I personally like OR better than TLA, though I do still enjoy visiting TLA from time to time. The reason, as others have said, is because it's more hobby based.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've been far more active on TLA than OR, because TLA is the first site I encountered and joined. I didn't join OR until several years later, and it took even longer for me to become a regular poster. But I've come to find that I prefer OR because I'm much more of a hobbyist than a competitive gamer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The admins from both TLA and OR have considered merging the sites a couple of times over the years, but it comes down to the style of the sites and the people involved in running them. TLA was run by Mithaearon for many many years and, at the end, it all got too much for him - so he tried to kill it. But its members wouldn't let it die and now it lives on, albeit in a much reduced format. The guys who run it are great blokes and I am proud to count amongst my friends - but do I want them to run this site? No offence intended, but no, I don't. And the same goes for our team running their site. Two very different styles of management.

Loads of people are members of both sites anyway, and if one site goes down, the other one is still available.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dagorlad wrote:
TLA was run by Mithaearon for many many years and, at the end, it all got too much for him - so he tried to kill it. But its members wouldn't let it die

Yeah what was the deal with that? As I understood it, he stopping paying for the servers etc but refused to let someone else assume control of the site.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I heard of that story before. He was throwing some sort of hissy fit? I'm not sure, but what I think I read was that the original creator of TLA was having problems maintaining the site, maybe financial wise $$$, and he wanted other members to help out but he wasn't getting any. So when it came time to close the site he refused anyone who wanted to take over the mantle and save all the data that was in the old TLA forum. I think the story is written somewhere on TLA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There is only one true site :wink:

One Site to rule them all, One Site to find them,
One Site to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Hoorah :D

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

One ring smells funny ;)

As one of the mods on TLA, I too have wondered a few times where there's two sites, and I've tried a few times to integrate myself onto One Ring, and I dunno, I guess some people like it here, some like it on TLA, some like it on both. I fall into the TLA-only camp, but I have nothing against anyone on here!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, I'm one of those who is on both. I find that I post more on the O-R though....I like going to tla for competetive army advice, as well as for rule questions. tla also tends to have more GT reports and such. (Which I really enjoy)
O-R tends to have more wips that I love following, but their are some on tla that are not on O-R that I also really enjoy. (Sithious')
All in all I like having the two sites, different atmosphere's and different experiances. As well as the aformentioned safety of data. :-D
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
Yeah, I'm one of those who is on both. I find that I post more on the O-R though....I like going to tla for competetive army advice, as well as for rule questions. tla also tends to have more GT reports and such. (Which I really enjoy)
O-R tends to have more wips that I love following, but their are some on tla that are not on O-R that I also really enjoy. (Sithious')
All in all I like having the two sites, different atmosphere's and different experiances. As well as the aformentioned safety of data. :-D

Well said. :yay: