All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: *Warning Spoilers!*, I Guess.... ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

*Do not read if you have not seen The Hobbit - It may have a reference to it in some vague way.... You have been advised!*

I am new to these forums, but far from new to large online gaming-related fan-run communities, and I have an inquiry about a subject that I figured this would be the best place for: Spoilers.

Now, no offense is intended to the author of the posts that have brought this to light, but I want to make sure that I am clear before violating anyone's keen sensitivity to what is considered a spoiler here on O-R.

Here's the background. In a discussion about upcoming The Hobbit GW releases, the appearance of upcoming models was being discussed (Grim Hammers being one). Discussions had been going on about feral orcs, and all other sort of Hobbity goodness. Now, when someone mentioned hoping the Erebor dwarves looked like the mohawked, warpainted dwarves from the movie, someone posted objection to the author not posting a spoiler warning. The author replied with a fairly valid argument, and the offended member replied: "It is a LotR wargaming site. I expect to get new[s] of new releases not film spoilers." This was followed by others, with varying forum titles to chime in and agree with this offended person who had not yet seen the movie, but yet was on the 7th page of this topic. It was even said to get the post back on topic, which I think it was until a half-page discussion began on how this was or was not a movie spoiler.

I posted my own opinions there when I read it, but have not had any response to my post there in about 23 hours or so, so I wanted to take this to the greater community for discussion, and see what the opinions of others is on what is considered a movie spoiler here.

The ld;dr version:
Where is the line on having to post spoiler warnings on a site like O-R? Do I need to place spoiler alerts everywhere I post? Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

T

EDIT: Also, yes I have looked at the Forum Guidelines before I asked here, and the only violation to the rules is I can see is Forum Guideline 1-C. And it was not the offending author who violated it...

Post subject: Re: *Warning Spoilers!*, I Guess.... ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I suppose since the film isn't out everywhere that long it might be polite to give a warning. But on the other hand if you read a topic on Azog or Smaug or something you should really know what you're letting yourself in for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

OP, you had an argument with a dude, that's it, there really is no reason to make a hole thread about it. Nothing good can come from this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Horde Lord wrote:
OP, you had an argument with a dude, that's it, there really is no reason to make a hole thread about it. Nothing good can come from this.

I was neither the person who committed the spoiler violation, nor the person who accused them. I didn't get in any argument with anybody, I am just a witness to it that is trying to get clarification so that I can avoid any future arguments.

So me having an argument with a dude is untrue, I made a [w]hole thread about it so that others (myself included) don't get flamed by multiple people with forum titles that sound a lot like they are officials here for doing like Gene just did by referring to movie information by mentioning Smaug and Azog in a Website News, QUESTIONS, and Feedback discussion, but thanks for your attempt to be helpful....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]