All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Post subject: Tomes of Wisdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd like to take this chance to mention a couple of things with regards to the Tomes of Wisdom article library we have here on The One Ring (if you are unfamiliar with this feature, you can find the link in the top left hand corner of the site).

First of all, a quick heads up to anyone who currently has a draft article in the queue. I have been going through the current queue and there are a fair few drafts that have little to no content that have been sitting there for several months. If you still intend on completing these please start updating them or send me a message to let me know you intend on doing so in the near future. Any that are still left neglected will be removed from the queue, simply so we Ringwraiths have a better idea of what's going on in terms of new submissions.

To anybody that has a draft closer to completion, we will start to get in touch to help you with moving these forward. We appreciate the time it takes to write a high quality article but would love to see articles start flowing into the Tomes of Wisdom once again.

Next up is essentially just a friendly reminder that the Tomes of Wisdom is still there. If you find yourself particularly good at a specific something and you would like to share your talent and technique with the rest of the member base, head over there and try your hand at writing an article.

The One Ring's article standard has previously been very high so this is something we will strive to keep to. If you do not feel you can achieve this level of quality, fear not, each submission is assigned a member of the Ringwraith team to help you with the completion of the article. This could be through proofreading or lending tips and advice in terms of layout etc.

Last of all, to expand on the previous point, everybody enjoys reading a good painting 'How-To'. If you think you've got what it takes to write a How-To painting guide for the Tomes of Wisdom, MacGothmog has created a long post detailing exactly what we have painting guides for already, and what we are missing. You can find this here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8531

I will update the above thread over the next few weeks to include all the newer releases as it is likely missing some.

If anybody has any questions regarding any of the above, or the Tomes of Wisdom in general... ask away.

Post subject: Re: Tomes of Wisdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great to see the Ringwraiths are renewing their efforts in getting the Tomes to it's former glory again! 8) Good job!

Red Corsairs wrote:
Next up is essentially just a friendly reminder that the Tomes of Wisdom is still there. If you find yourself particularly good at a specific something and you would like to share your talent and technique with the rest of the member base, head over there and try your hand at writing an article.

I talked to Bennet a while ago and he mentioned he had a new article on the site. I see now that it has been on there for some 6 weeks now and has only been viewed 55 times. Now, there are only stats, but I think it illustrates how little it is used, which I think is a shame.

So, I was wondering, wouldn't it be possible to give the articles a more central position on the website? This will also motivate people to write articles (writing articles is in general selfless, but from personal experience I can tell it's very motivating to see people enjoying and using your article - this makes it worth it!).

I would propose, for instance, to have the "Recent topics" on the home page replaced by a "Recent articles" section, as we already have a "Latest News" section on the home page that does pretty much the same as Recent topics. This will give more attention to new articles and will, I think, inspire more people to read and write them. :)

An alternative idea would be to feature the newest article on the home page, below Latest News, with a small picture. That should draw some attention.

What do you think of these ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I completely agree Feanor. This would give it somewhat of a similar style to that of the old site and it worked brilliantly. I'll speak to Alan when I get a chance to next and see what we can do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Exactly! That's the idea. :) Awesome, thanks. I hope he can make it happen.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

New articles do not get a feedback thread automatically anymore, nor does the newest article go on the home-page (as previously mentioned). Both of these used to happen, and both encouraged me to view articles. Not knowing when a new article comes out is the one thing i miss the most.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love the Tomes of Wisdom! Especially the army breakdowns in there for the few factions that are there. I want to help improve it by doing one of my own, just not sure when I will have the time and resources. For now though, I usually peruse through it often