All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Post subject: Mumak and Difficult Terrain
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK, I now have a few games under my belt with the Mumak. In one game which included a river running across the whole board, I lost the game because the rules say the Mumak cannot cross difficult terrain and takes damage. This has to be an error? I did wipe out all the other guys army on the side the Mumak was on, but couldn't reach across the river. I wouldn't see why at least I couldn't cross with damage but not be stopped!
Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Dion
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hmm that's strange.. haven't heard of those rules before. I've normaly put a penalty of half a move when crossing difficult terrain.. but i'm sure the mumkia could cross small walls,fences etc..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That does seem like a problem with the rules; surely elephants can walk across rivers??(I am aware that Mumakil are not elephants - they aer larger versions essentially though.)

That's a major oversight on GW's part - someone should write a letter of complaint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In this instance,I would do exactly like GW does. Fudge the rules a little :-D
seriously,ever read some of their battle reports? they moe this figure or change a rule to fit a particular scenario more often than they change underwear :shock:

I see no reason on this earth why a Mumakil can not cross a river. I could see if the thing was huge like the amazon river,but i think you and your playing partner should be able to come up with something. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not only that, a rampaging Mumak going through difficult terrain is destroyed immediately. Defensible terrain, I can understand (as the Mumak crashes into a building in its blind rage/panic), but difficult terrain which includes river, shrubs and rocky areas? <sarcastic>A Mumak is now taking damage from those nasty, nasty thorn bushes which is easily trampled beneath its feet. Ow Ow. And when it's panicking, it trips over that branch lying around and fall over.<sarcastic>

Personally I'll just talk to the opponent about which difficult terrain affect the mumak and which doesn't and agree on common sense.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i have the harad source book and it says the mumak can't cross terrain that is 4cm or more in hight so depending on how wide and deep the river was then it wouldnt be alowed to cross. i dont think that it would be harmed because elepants like water(i know its not one but there simalar).
i will read the book again and tell u wat i find

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

just to confirm, we are talking about WOTR here!?
Assuming that is so...
Rivers are not classed as defensible terrain features.
They would either be difficult ground (half pace to cross) or impassible.
Logic would suggest, before the game, players would agree terrain effects like this to the mumak.
For example it could be impassible to regular troops, but difficult for the mumak so half pace.
I always find it best to play like gentlemen, don't get over pedantic about the rules, and make a common sense approach in issues like this. The game is a lot more enjoyable that way :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I re-read the book (TT) and found the rules a little over-simplified. It stated, just like in the movie, a rampaging mumak turned at the last minute before running into the cliff. It "crashed out of the trees" and "swerved aside in the nick of time". "On the great beast thundered, blundering in blind wrath through pool and thicket." From these sentences alone, I see the mumak able to move through difficult terrain with some forethought, seeing the danger, not wanting to be hurt.
This qoute is more telling as to damage, "His trappings of scarlet and gold flapped about him in wild tatters. The ruins of what seemed a very war- tower lay upon his heaving back, smashed in his furious passage through the woods".
Also, the book states the only way to kill an oliphaunt is to shoot it in the eye, but we are talking about the war-machine (mumak + howdah + troops) as a whole.

So my complaint is more so on the ability to move through difficult natural terrain features. It shouldn't have to stop at the trees, marshes or low- laying or slow moving rivers. It can pass with 1/2 movement.

I would agree with damage though during the Trample rule. The TT book does point out damage to the howdah after running through the trees. You see in the movie the howdah swaying violently from side to side, guying falling off, making it harder to control. It could be easily damaged by cliffs, buildings and other immovable terrain and shreaded by trees. In the Stampede rule, I'd change it being destroyed on anything other than difficult or defensible, but take damage like in the Trample rule.

As a house rule, we suggested any board with a river crossing the entire length has D3 crossings (non difficult).

Thanks,
Dion