All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cougare Checks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok...when you take courage checks is it me or is it VERY easy to pass them. 2 dice plus your courage to get 10? And on top of that when you lose a combat, do you only roll the panic check w/ no modifiers? And then worse case scenario...you fail the panic check with a 1-5...you still get to take an unmodified courage check? And if you pass that nothing happens except seperate by 1 inch? Am I getting this all right? Just sounds like there is no real penalty for losing a combat. Granted you get disordered, but when you get to your movement again, its just another courage test with no penalties to your Dice roll. I feel like I have to be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marcus

Post subject: Re: Cougare Checks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dedonta, first of all it is not generally an unmodified courage check - the -1 for enemy within 6" applies quite widely.

Some lists basically ignore courage for practical purposes. For example, my Ithilien (Gondor) list has recourse to Faramir's auto-pass, heroes with 'bold beyond belief' and 'Inspiring leader' heroes with courage 5 and 6. For them, even a failed tist is just met with a shrug, they will pass the next time around and the rest of the army will pass theirs.

However other armies really dread the courage tests. I hate them with my Carn Dum (Angmar) army. The troops have a base courage of 2 a single hero with Courage 5 (who will be passing his tests) and then an Inspiring Leader with a mere courage 4. Thes guys are in big trouble when they hit situations with a -1 penalty to tests. The Wraith's unit is probably fine, but everyone else is effectively courage 3. Courage 3 fails 15/36 times. WIthout the leader, they will be courage 1 once you take into account the penalty. Courage 2 fails quite often even without it....

In that case, once they lose combats, 5/6 of the time they will very likely not pass a courage test next turn and if so will be unable to move or charge and get only 1 dice per coy in melee. That is, they are screwed. :)

The situation for them could be made worse still with Dismay magic, or units forcing them to pass terror tests, but you get the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

aha...think i missed the -1 for nearby enemies....can you point that out in the rulebook for me so I can be sure to inform my gaming group we've been doing it wrong. Seems everytime we game we have to correct something lol. Thats the problem when I'm the only one that has a book lol. Thanks Xelee.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi dedonta, NRBH but both the entry on the courage check to come back from disordered status (you do not want to be stuck disordered) and the entry on 'at the double!' contain a reference to the -1 for enemy within 6".

Bear in mind also, a standardish coruage of 3 fails pretty often even without a negativer modifier and a courage of 2 is pretty hopeless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I believe the -1 modifier is only for disordered test and at te double tests. Not all courage tests

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Dedonta last visited us more than 2 years ago. I dont think he's still looking for an answer mate.

Locking this.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]