All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Post subject: Newsflash: Elves win the Siege of Lothlorien!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes indeed! We staged the full scenario as written of p288-289 of the WotR rulebook today. Two hours of traying up, and 7 hours of massed mayhem along the Celebrant in the heart of Lorien. It is a large board 8' by 6', heavily forested, and we had no less than 18 defensible woodlands.

On paper it looks like a walk over for the Forces of Darkness. They outnumber the Elves in points and the elves (as we know) as a faction are already overpriced for their hitting power...

However, something about the setting, and the special rules made me think that if ever the elves stood a chance, then maybe this was it. I didn't think they would win but they would be at their best in their natural environment.

This was actually the return leg, as we played this (full) scenario last month as well, and Mordor And Misty did indeed sweep the elves from the forest floor.

Today though the elves, outnumbered more than 2 to 1 (81 companies/monsters vs 33 companies/monsters), managed to kill the 2/3 majority needed (56 companies after adjustments from Druzhag summoning more spiders) and lose about 8 companies in return... I was actually pleasantly surprised, my only goal was to try and maintain parity and kill maybe 25 companies of evil-doers before the inevitable black tide covered the sacred woods.

To be fair (and Ellorindar will hasten to point this out I am sure) it was his first time using these forces, (although it was my first ever outing with the pointy eared ones too..) though he did nothing really 'wrong'.

Anyway, we may even repeat this again, each time we do we learn more and try things differently. I wouldn't mind either side in this scenario. The elves are the underdogs, but the heavy woodlands favour their natural abilities and they stand a fighting chance, but take heart Elven players... it can be won!

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
 Post subject: Re: Newsflash: Elves win the Siege of Lothlorien!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounds like an awesome battle! Oh, I love the Lothlorien army. I have my own, and often they can triumph. They are pretty costly, and that's their downside. :(

Do you have any pictures of the battle? Maybe some of the scenery too? :galadriel:

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The WotR book was what got me into the hobby, I collect hundreds of figures just to set up the scenarios and batreps in the book, we really need to play more WotR!

Sounds like you had fun... I agree photos would be awesome - good work gentleman, carry on ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh we didn't take any pics this time... We usually do, but we just rolled on with it.

I'll see if we took any last month with the same set up, and slightly different army selections.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In that context Wotr probably shines, I just don't like it for points.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great idea to recreate some of those scenarios!!