All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

Post subject: Citadel Finecast Project
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well after seeing all the horror photos and saying that I would not buy any of this stuff, I finally succumbed. What lead me to do it? well I read different threads on different forums with differing views the last one that I read was by Steve Buddle who was quite complimentary about the minis he bought.
So my wife wanted to go to Nottingham today and I took the chance to go see for myself and make my own judgement.
I went to Warhammer World store thinking that would be the best place to get the most comparisons among the models, my first impressions though were just how little stock they had but after careful browsing I selected a few blisters.
I did have to check through a varying number of blisters to make sure I got the best casts I could see but to be honest in all the ones I looked at the all seemed to be pretty much the same standard.
The problem with minis in blisters and attatched to sprue's is that they don't move about so much when you tip the packs about so you can only view them at the angles they are placed in there upon packaging.
However the ones I got seemed ok and so I went and spent my hard earned cash, (I did draw the line at Minas Tirith Gandalf at 20.50), and therein lies the main problem for me the price with single figures at 10 quid a throw and going ever upwards.
Any way I took the models home and have just done some basic prep on first of them.

I have to admit that after seeing the initial pictures on here in the other threads I was very surprised to find just how well these had cast, yes there are mould lines but that is just a part of the hobby we have to accept and there are air bubbles that have caused some very slight miscasting here and there but nothing that cannot be fixed with a little green stuff.
The flash came away easy and the mould lines so far have not been hard to deal with, the resin is soft and is very easy to trim and clean with a file or hobby knife the latter being the best tool to use.
The parts fit together (on this model at least) fairly well with only a little filling needed, the head is just blue tacked into position in the picture as that will be painted separately.
All in all I am pleased with the models apart from the price I feel that this range may come to something, though I don't think I will buy any more online as you do need to inspect the models to make sure you get the better casts, also I think that buying the boxed sets may be risky too as you can't inspect those until you have paid your cash.
I'll be keeping this thread going with the filling and the painting of the model to do a complete review.

Cheers Tim
 Post subject: Re: Citadel Finecast Project
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It'll be great to see what you can do with these. The new sharpness and detail on these figures could put your already astounding painting through the roof! :yay:
I will be watching this thread closely.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I really like the idea! I cant wait to hear what you think of them.

-Pow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds good, although have you experianced any problems with the heat morphing the models?
Problem is, i don't think anyone is willing to risk a 15 quid model to find out.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here are the next pics of this mini, I have filled the areas that needed doing and also got as many of the mould lines out as I can reach with the crakt knife, It is now ready for paintng, the head will be done separately, that is why it is not attatched at this stage.

I have alot of resin models and never had a problem with heat distorting the models it remains to be seen if these are as good.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking good, hoping to see more soon :D
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Update on this one, Ive not had alot of painting time but I am pleased with it so far. The model has been close to a window that gets alot of sun through it in the afternoon and there has been no ill effects. It is paining up nicely but I have since looked through the other blisters that I have bought and they all have major flaws so this one will be the only one getting painted as I do not have the putty skills to repair the amount of miscasting on the others.

I will say that the potential for crisp detail is certainly there as the close up shows but price and inconsistency of quality make these models uneconomical to buy. When this is finished it will go into my other Non Lotr thread.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

very nice bud and im glad you chose an orc to start with :) you deffinatly have them down to a fine art ;)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Smashing work so far, Tim. The skin is rich and vibrant, and the metals are cracking, as always.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This has been very useful for me as I have yet to even see the new Finecast minis before this. Excellent painting as always Tim, the metals are great, the skintone is perfect and I really like the highlighting on the red area.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The highlights on the red parts is the bit that really strikes out at me.