All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:41 am

Post subject: Dreadfleet (GW)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dreadfleet

Well, it happened... I couldn't resist this one...

I've always wanted to have a naval-battle-game on my table some day, and now that I've seen GW preparing for their new Dreadfleet game, I couldn't resist.
So far my promise to stop buying.

A lot of players will probably say there are far better naval games around from other companies, but what made me order this one is that it's just an all-in-one box, with ships I actually like (well, most of them), aswell as the theme.
With other naval battle-games I didn't have the slightest idea where to start buying or figuring things out, and not knowing where I would end... Now I'm looking forward to find the box on my doorstep so I can start painting the little ships :-)
(none of that made any difference to my missus though, she still doesn't see a fair reason why I ordered it...)

Anyone else ordering this one?

Post subject: Re: Dreadfleet (GW)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Trying not to but I don't know how successful I'll be. :)

Rational me says "You haven't yet painted your Space Hulk minis or even played through the scenario book" and I-Want-It-All-me says "It's pretty and it has pirates in it so what are you waiting for?".

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ordered mine :)

I too wanted a naval game that I didn't have to collect a brand new game to start.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:18 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I picked up Space Hulk and have enjoyed it, but Dreadfleet just doesn't look all that appealing to me. I haven't read a whole lot of the GW pitch, but it seems a little contrived to have so many different races all fighting in the same small portion of the sea. I would have liked it better if they had made two fleets rather than a hodgepodge of various ships.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think it looks awesome. I won't buy it but it's a great addition. Although I do agree with Erunion, i'd rather have a whole fleet of different ships than just one of each race.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erunion wrote:
I picked up Space Hulk and have enjoyed it, but Dreadfleet just doesn't look all that appealing to me. I haven't read a whole lot of the GW pitch, but it seems a little contrived to have so many different races all fighting in the same small portion of the sea. I would have liked it better if they had made two fleets rather than a hodgepodge of various ships.

To be honest, reading the whole pitch would take you several hours. Two weeks of Dreadfleet blogposts, I think it's in the WD, it's plastered all over Facebook. I feel they're pushing it too hard because they realised that it won't be as easy to sell as Space Hulk - it hasn't got the nostalgia effect, Man o' War is the same idea and still available, it's £70 and it can't be used in any of the other systems.

I haven't bought it myself - I don't have the £70 and, if I did, it wouldn't be my first choice of item to spend it on, even if it is limited edition. It seems like a cool novelty to place once or twice a year, but not something worth the investment compared to other products they sell.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I am sure it will be a very satisfying game with a lot of replay value - the minis look great and we all know GW produce a very high quality product.

But I've already invested in Dystopian Wars, so I have all the shiny naval gaming minis I need.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ended up buying it. I went to movies to see Captain America and the movie theatre is in a mall and the mall had some special celebration and a bookstore there had 20% off from all board games and there it was - just 72 €. It was fate and who am I to resist the fate?

The guy behind the counter clearly knew what he was selling because he told me that they were thinking about putting this on the shelves at Monday, after the -20% event had ended. Luckily they decided this way. :)

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That is so not fair! I paid 90 € and still haven't got it.... :sad:
LMAO! Well, you're lucky in some way then! haha!

Fate can be pretty evil huh ;-)
I can't wait to inspect the little ships... :dizzy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Please post some pics of the contents of the box Pasi, we'd love to see them

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

http://www.beastsofwar.com/games-workshop/games-workshops-dreadfleet-unboxed/

Unboxing Dreadfleet with crazy geeks.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I started taking pics of the box contents, then I noticed that GW has good photos of the sprues and the video Bastion.HUN posted has really nice close-ups of everything in there. The sprues contain lots of other stuff in addition to the capital ships. There are cogs that can be launched from some ships, treasure markers, wind marker, turn marker, all the markers and measurement pieces are nice, detailed, plastic parts. I may take some pics of the assembled but unpainted stuff since those are not generally seen anywhere yet.

The embossed detail on the sails is really good looking, better in real life than can be captured on a photo or a film. The parts have some flash but probably due to clever placement, much less than typical plastics. The quality is on par with Space Hulk, i.e. a lot higher than the hideous single part LotR plastics.

The cloth battlemat is great, but we'll have to wait and see whether it wrinkles or not while playing on it. Cards are your regular board game cards, nothing special in them, but the art is pretty.

The rule book feels and looks nice and has 12 narrative scenarios in it. The rules seem to be pretty quick to grasp since they are your regular move, shoot, board melee stuff with some Starfleet Battle style turning and speed changing limiting thrown into it to allow the players predict each others possible maneuvers a couple of turns into the future.

I have the flagship of the pirate fleet assembled and undercoated in front of me. I'm really eager to spend this Sunday afternoon painting it. WIP photos will be shown at some time later.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
I didn't. Mainly for two things:
1) GW goes for the "it's a cool family game you can start playing directly". Problem: I have tons of games I still have to play with any kind family or friend, and they are gathering nothing but dust.
2) 90€ ? That's insane! I can buy me 200 models from wargames factory for that! I went to my l.GW last saturday and lots of people showed intrest and asked what this big pirate thinggy was al about. They were tempted to buy the game perhaps, until they heard the price, which made them run straight away.

No really GW, new hobbyist don't know your ridiculous prices and veterans don't really see why they should buy the one of the most expensive board games ever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I watched the Beasts of War unboxing - btw, it was originally intended for Backstage Members only so it may not remain open to everyone indefinitely. There is a lot of stuff in the box and the quality seems pretty good BUT as BOW Warren & Andy point out, it appears to be a one-off, end of story, no scope for expansion. Whereas, Dystopian Wars and other naval battlegames have lots of fleets, campaigns, scenarios...

Speaking of Beasts of War (them being from a place not too far from Castle Dorthstein), they had a recent week of Black Scorpion's Cutlass pirate game. It appeals to me as I like the minis, the rules are straightforward (all in one slim book!) and allow for some wee scurvey dog to win the day with some improbable shot or stab as they allow extra dice rolls if you max a roll. Watch the videos, especially BOW Andy taking on one of the game developers in a small game. I believe Any was being referred to as Bosun Porkloaf or some such... insults are a part of everyday like in this neck of the woods.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!