All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Post subject: Re: Continuous Tactical Discussions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like to play a "hoard" Gondor army. Normally I just use womt with shield at the front row and rangers with bow and spear or citadel guard with spear behind them. Strong defence at the front, fight 4 and decent bowfire in the back. Combine this with the cheap heroes like Beregond, Damrod and Denethor or minor heroes like Cirion and Madril and you will have a very decent hoard :wink:
Also I do normally take Boromir of Gondor and put him on a horse. He's a real beast and gives the extra push a hoard army often needs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
- any others?
Seriously?
Don't forget the little ones!
The Shire can easily field 5 full warbands at 500pts; with Bandobras able to lead Hobbits now, even 6 warbands is possible (all 6 non-independent heroes with 48 militia and 24 archers adds up to 480pts). As much of a horde (not to be confused with hoard) as you can get outside of Goblin Town.
Although generally probably more efficient with some allies (spear support, might, speed), 78 stones hurled in your general direction is pretty scary.

Overall, the pre-warband days were often hordier for the good guys - where e.g. Moria was limited by the max of 50 models at 500pts (as it existed back then), I used to have Haldir and 48 Wood Elves, or Erkenbrand, Eowyn and equally many Rohan infantry (even including some Royal Guard). The former now requires various (relatively expensive) heroes, while troops of the latter can get pretty costly with Helmingas/shield/throwing spear. They can still get quite numerous, but for real hordes, none can beat the Shire.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Laketown, Rohan, Gondor, the shire, wosies (though there's a limited amount of heroes avaialble), fiefdoms, hell even wood elves to an extent can hoard it up nicely.
Pretty much any army where you can get hold of a warrior for around 7-8pts can hoard if you take the cheap heroes to lead them.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can't believe I forgot about the hobbits!! They certainly seem like a force to be reckoned with.

Which good army do you think is best for hording?

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What kinds of heuristics go into determining whether to leave models in one unit or to separate them into subunits?

For instance, when approaching a piece of terrain such as a building should the army go around it as one or split forces?

What about the case in which the opponent is also in the same position, should the player with priority intiate a split or attempt to barrel through as one?

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44