All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 am

Post subject: Whos your nemesis troop? Biggest surprise in a good/bad way?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was just wondering for you all, same as for myself today.....

Which enemies through your gaming have you come up against either often, or in difficult battles.

I want to know a little about some of the units that have either absolutely obliterated you, or moreso on a consistant basis damaged you/bothered you.

For example, myself:

I often play against a guy who uses wood elves every week/time we play.

Id have to say personally, the worst for me would be Thranduil for one.

I very often use evil and his aura of dismay is devastating for me. Ive probably played against it over a dozen times. Natures wrath doesnt help.

In addition, hes always got Mirkwood Rangers with him. I cant tell you all how many times Ive come up againt these things. I get shot to pieces when I bring low defense forces. Even whording against them, I often lose fights because of their special rules.

Those are what Ive seen the most and have troubles with.

Some honorable mentions are Watchers of Karna ive dealt with a few times, Dwarves and Dain especially, Isengard and fury, and Knights of Dol Amroth have all seen me several times and given me issues.

As for what Id say was the biggest surprise unit to absolutely wreck my chances in a game....the Dark Marshall on fell beast.

To be honest, I didnt ever play against one before, and he was used by a pro. The biggest thing was, that I did NOT expect his 6" banner to be so useful with his flying. Furthermore, his combat ability on that creature messed me up good.

Last edited by LordoftheBrownRing on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Who is your nemesis or most violent enemy? Biggest supri
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Monsters. Those ridiculously powerful monsters.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Dwimmerlaik for my friends. They use a lot of heroes and hate me so much.

Personally I would have to say my most hated thing to go up against is Aragorn king and his STUPID SWORD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hahah. Very true. I have faced that Aragorn before, and he is disgustingly powerful with Anduril.

Jdizzy, any specific monster?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Galadriel's stupid mirror for sure! I hate that thing. I've only faced it once, but in a special campaign style battle where I was outnumbered, had less points, and less heroes than my opponent it was a major pain in the butt. I couldn't surround heroes enough to trap and kill them in one turn so it made them nearly invincible.

Other than that, no troubles. The Goblin King is annoying, and managed to kill a Warg Marauder of mine once, but I know how dangerous he can be so I always deal with him appropriately

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dwarves. My primary opponent ONLY plays as dwarves. As I'm sure everyone on here knows, I hate fighting dwarves. D7 is fun for no one. I've had my fair number of wins, but that shield wall is just brutal, and it's not helped by the fact that he now has spear support. Pretty much any of the heroes into the role of a nemesis. HOWEVER, I do have a great story where I was able to bribe Dain, the richest of all dwarf lords to flee a battle with the Golden King. He was rolling for stand-fast, rolled snake eyes, was about to Will it up when I yelled "NOPE, I'M BRIBING YOU!" It was the first time good ol' GK had ever bribed anybody. It cost him all of his Will, because Dain had full Might and Will, but it was worth it. He hadn't taken a single wound and fully stocked up on everything, and he just fled. I ended up losing because the dang King's Champion plowed through my army, but it was still pretty glorious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My old nemesis used to be Boromir. At the time I didn't have the units to handle him properly. Since I've acquires some ringwraiths he has died every time I have seen him. :-D

Nowadays my main buddy likes Mumakil, so that is a pain, but I'm adapting. He also just got Durin, so that may not be fun. I will also put a vote for anything that can out shoot my Rohan.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My own horses.

If my general is mounted, either his horse will get shot or he will lose his first combat; both resulting in my horse being killed, my general rolling a 1, followed by whatever number is required to wound him. Both have happened to Suladan or Haradrim Kings many times. Haven't been as unlucky with ponies, come to think of it. Perhaps I should stick to Hobbits, or good ol' walking Dwarves. Not sure yet how antagonistic a stag will turn out to be... but those horses are deadly. Never used Théoden, but at least for him it would be thematic!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mordor Trolls. Killing my def 9 heroes with a 3+ are a pain for me.
Followed by a very nasty uruk-hai crossmen line who managed to take the best shooting spot possible in 3 turns.

Then I have to mention a Elven formation with shield, spears and a banner. They won EVERY-SINGLE FIGHT for 2 turns.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I honestly believe that most every unit is well balanced and I have learned to defeat all of them overtime, but I can say that the one that gives me consistent trouble is the Barrow Wight. Its an absolutely balanced model with obvious weaknesses, but man it is difficult to beat. That Paralyze spell gets me every game against them.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Morannon orcs! Against Warriors of Minas Thirit 4 times as good as normal orcs :(
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Hahah. Very true. I have faced that Aragorn before, and he is disgustingly powerful with Anduril.

Jdizzy, any specific monster?

Any monster. I havent learned to counter the new monster atks, so when one takes the field they throw around my heroes and use them as boulders till they die. I hate it. All of a sudden i have to use up all my might on keeping my leaders alive. The tactics are gone. No more might to turn the tide with a well placed heroic action. Everything gets pumped into heroic strikes so i can win those pesky ties and have a chance to strike blows against the high def monster. I tell you, the more I use these new monster rules the more I hate them. If I want to play a game where trolls are unbeatable I'll go play the open format of LOTR TCG.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just don't understand how monsters are giving you so much trouble, they're stronger than they were, but they're far from unbeatable, they're not even close

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Immobilize/transfix + lots of troops and heroes = dead monster. Every time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Against monsters without mightpoints you don't even need magic. If it's a cave troll attack it with one hero and 3 warriors (2 spears) and heroic strike. Hero will need 5's to wound warriors 6 -> Monster dead in two turns.
If it's something with a larger base just attack with as many warriors as possible and try to surround -> Monster dead in one or two rounds.
Against monsters with might magic is handy...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I just don't understand how monsters are giving you so much trouble, they're stronger than they were, but they're far from unbeatable, they're not even close

Basically, my dice hate me. We all have our kryptonite, mine are monsters.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Donegal drivers...

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

jdizzy001 wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Basically, my dice hate me. We all have our kryptonite, mine are monsters.

Try threatening them, it often works lol. I am very verbally abusive towards inanimate objects that don't work properly

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Back in the day (how old does one have to be to legitimately get to say that? :D ), it was High Elf archers. This was just as we started playing, and with lack of terrain, most of the games were floor based. And for some reason that I'm sure made sense to my 10-year-old self, we decided to use the WHOLE floor, meaning my opponent who was using elves could just back up and shoot turn after turn, dropping anything I had before I got close. This did have the side effect of swarming him with Orcs in the eventual close combat all the more enjoyable, and the D7 of Dwarves all the more fantastic, but against most armies it was pretty annoying

More recently, Uruks against my BotFA Iron Hills Dwarves. 4 dice when shielding (with Pike support from their special rule) means they are rock-solid against F3 units, but F4 can just tie and put it in the hands of fate, and with pikes of their own Uruks are the best at this (and cheaper per model as well). S4 is also annoying against their D8 Heroes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I started saying back in the day within a few years of when I never expected it. Maybe 3 or 5 years +. But I was in the Marine Corps so a few years with that day to day stress got me feeling like an old man really quickly.

As for your floor plan...that sounds like a cool 1500-3000 point battle, but nothing less haha.