All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

Post subject: Re: What models made you say "Bah!" ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dr Grant wrote:
The whole kit is resin, a resin eagle (Gwaihir) is £25 and named resin Heroes can get to £15 (Beorn, new Tauriel, Old Bolg) - there's your £40 justification.

That said, it's a ridiculous pose IMHO, it's a plastic eagle and EFGT conversion down the line for me! :-)

EFGT? Please explain what it stands for, I am too slow on abbreviations, cheers :)

Dikey wrote:
Is a lot easier than you think, actually. A monster could rend him on a 3+. The Goblin King of AUJ has an highter fight value, same might and the ability to rend, which allows him to get rid of Dain at any time. Uruk captains match his fight and wound Dain on a 6 rather than 6/4 (S4 models) or 6/5 (S5 models). A Nazgul on Fell beast could just cast immobilize and then throw him around.
There are actually lots and lots of way to wound him, expecially when fighting at 700 points or more.

Oh yeah, with those ones it can definitely work. I was just playing my Battle of Dale scenario, where the Evil player is restricted to Eatern Kingdoms armylist, but I haven't used Amdur Lord of Blades, which could also increase the chance of beating him. Plus, I think I need to revise my choices of using certain profile stats for heroes that arent featured in any of the rules, like Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm. I use Bard Girion's Heir profile for Brand King of Dale, Bard the Bowman from DOS rulebook as Bard II and Thorin Oakenshield from Unexpected Journey rulebook without any upgrades. Both Brand and Bard II died towards the end, but the dwarves still held their ground. Also, Bard II killed the War Priest before he could really do anything to help out lol maybe ned to include one more War Priest in the army...

But yeah, in the generic kinda gameplay where you just take whatever, there are definitely ways to kill him. Anything can be killed :wink:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

EFGT = Escape from Goblin Town, the starter set.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If Dain is against an army that can only consist of Eastern forces, use some Chariots. If they're captains or kings, they have a great chance of knocking him down, giving them 6 rending strikes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
If Dain is against an army that can only consist of Eastern forces, use some Chariots. If they're captains or kings, they have a great chance of knocking him down, giving them 6 rending strikes.

Chariots cannot perform Brutal attacks.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:11 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just to nip this one in the bud, Dikey's right, the latest GW FAQ stopped chariots having BPAs.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wait, really? Dang, I missed that one. That was really the main reason to take them, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Coenus Scaldingus, thanks very much! 8)

As for chariots, I also thought of that, but the whole idea of them being unable to perform those attacks kinda gives me 2nd thoughts on whether they will be any good at all, or is it better to just take as many horsemen instead.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm going to resurrect a two year-old thread because I think this is an interesting discussion. What I'm interested in is that I approach this as an optimist, I see a lot of the units mentioned over these three pages as actually being really powerful, so I'm curious to see what everyone thinks now.

For example, Arwen was picked on quite a bit, I see her as a fantastic balancing option for a High Elf army. Rivendell struggles with: pricey heroes and warriors, and warriors that can't kill. Arwen is cheap even by Orcish standards, and she brings Nature's Wrath to the table which makes killing a lot easier. Playing against that, I find her frightening, not at all underpowered.

Another heavily targeted model, to resurrect the debate from page 2, is the Dwarf Ranger. For me, that is one of the most brilliant and unique tactical options. If you want it to shoot, you pay the points for its shoot value. If you don't, then you have the cheapest Dwarf unit in the game, cheaper than the most popular Orcs even. Still brings a Fight Value of 4 and a Defence that won't go down to most shooting. The fact that they pay for their improved Shoot Value in the weapon's cost means that these guys can actually horde out and really beef up your numbers, not at all a bad thing.

My picks for a unit that disappointed me, I'll go with the consensus here and say that the Balrog needs something. Even if only a couple of Might points, or the rules it used to have before the ORB era (almost the same profile with the big differences being: the possibility of wounding with 6 attacks instead of 4, and instead of having a set Will score it resisted every spell with as many dice as it had Wounds remaining).
Otherwise, I don't really think there's a model that makes me think "Why take that when there's something so much better?", every option has its uses depending on how you choose to play.

Last edited by mr. dude on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think that the new VERY BIG Gundaband ogres, (the £60+ ones) with only 4 wounds and 8 defence are shocking. Some normal sized heroes have as many as 3 wounds! And a defence of 8 can be obtainable by dwarf heroes. Also something much smaller then it can take it out! (E. G Aragorn or Gil Galad)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For me it is not just the profile (the gaming side); some models were not as good in the sculpting department as others. I like plastics for rank and file so there has to be a modest concession there on fine detail.
Models I don't like: mostly the concocted minis that were never onscreen - I cannot recall the names now but there were several rather Warhammery (spikey) evil minis linked to Dol Guldur long before the Hobbit films were made.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dorthonion wrote:
Models I don't like: mostly the concocted minis that were never onscreen - I cannot recall the names now but there were several rather Warhammery (spikey) evil minis linked to Dol Guldur long before the Hobbit films were made.

The Castellans of Dol Guldur I believe. When GW decided to expand their line with stuff from the books, some models like the Rangers of the North were spot on, even if their poses were a bit too static, but the Castellans and Knights of Dol Amroth IMO are probably the most "Warhammer" miniatures ever released for the LotR. I'm not a big fan of the Black Numenoreans either, but at least they were based on the Mouth of Sauron, so that's fine.